Where should I start with a 7 yo ds?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
justme

Where should I start with a 7 yo ds?

Post by justme » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:20 pm

We will finish all our 1st grade stuff in about February. We school year round 4 days a week so I'm going to keep going with school. Should I start BLHFG then or would it be better to wait unitl 2nd grade officially begins? Or would BHFG be better?

Thanks,
justme

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:24 pm

If you go to the Heart of Dakota website you can look at a chart on how to place your child in the right program. I think that might be very helpful for you in deciding which program to go with. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

justme

Post by justme » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 pm

"If you go to the Heart of Dakota website you can look at a chart on how to place your child in the right program. I think that might be very helpful for you in deciding which program to go with. HTH!"

Yes it does help. BLHFG would fit him best. But I'm not sure if I should start in February or wait until he's an official 2nd grader.

justme :?

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 am

I am planning on using BLHFHG as well for 1st grade for my dd. I think it looks like a great program. Sorry I don't have any advice for you on when you should start. Maybe someone else can chime in with some ideas.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

jamieswife

Post by jamieswife » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:10 am

I've been able to us BLHFHG with my first grader and my second grader so if your son is ready I don't see any reason to wait. Besides, that's one of the many beauties of homeschooling...who cares what's official?!!!!!!

:lol:
-Crystal in Alaska (using BLHFHG)
Wife to James, mom to Cody, Megan, Luke, Jesse, baby Gideon-born straight into the arms of Jesus and now our little Molly girl!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:56 pm

I agree with Crystal...go ahead and start whenever you want. I am doing Little Hearts now, but I have Beyond Little Hearts and I have started doing some of the literature studies now. There are so many good ones listed in Beyond and there's no way to do them all in one year, so I figured, hey, why not do some now!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

Re: Where should I start with a 7 yo ds?

Post by netpea » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:33 am

justme wrote:We will finish all our 1st grade stuff in about February.
Wouldn't he officially become a 2nd grader when he's done with the 1st grade program? :D

That's how we do it. They move up a grade whenever they finish a grade no matter what the calendar says.

Lee Ann

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:59 pm

I agree with the advice others have given. If you checked out the placement chart, and Beyond... seems the best fit, I'd jump in with that. We did Beyond... last year, and Bigger this year. I think doing Beyond... really prepared my son for Bigger... Lots of skills like oral narration, etc. are taught in a very gentle, "hand-holding" type way in Beyond..., and by Bigger, they are more independent. Plus, you don't want to miss out on Beyond... It's a great program!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie