Where to begin?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marty D

Where to begin?

Post by Marty D » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:41 pm

I am currently looking into HOD for my middle ds. I have not pressed him to do any pre-school activities (I mean actually "school" like stuff). He has learned most of his alphabet by osmosis, but there are a few letters he may not be able to recognize. He knows some of the sounds, but I am sure he does not know them all. So, here is my question (after all that, it really is a short question :D). Without having a good grasp on letter sounds and such, would it be better to start him in LHTH or LHFHG? Will LHFHG start with the assumption that they already know letters and sounds?

I have actually thought about getting LHTH now and using it for the remainder of the school year and the beginning of next, and then just getting the LHFHG after we are finished, whenever that may be. Maybe I am crazy for thinking about this, as he is still only 4, but I think it is time for him to start something with a little structure. Soooooo, any thoughts on this are appreciated.

THanks for your time.
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

Marty D

ahhh haa!

Post by Marty D » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm

I think I found my answer. If I had been just a tad more patient, and read more posts, I would have seen that there is a chart that tells me what he needs to know to start in each level! So, I am off to by LHTH.

One more question....from this and another forum I have heard about ETC, but I have no idea what it is. Can someone tell me.

Thanks again
Martha

Lilyanna

Post by Lilyanna » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:34 pm

:D Hi Marty

ETC is Explode the Code. I think they are designed to help teach reading, but I use them to help with writing. HTH!

Marty D

Post by Marty D » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:57 pm

thanks. I should have known that! :D
Martha

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Marty,

It looks like you did a great job of answering your own question! :wink:

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you. :D We'll hope you enjoy "Little Hands..." as much as we have enjoyed doing it with our own boys. We have such precious memories from it.

Blessings,
Carrie