Back to HOD - funny story :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Back to HOD - funny story :)

Post by Lynnw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:32 am

Long story, as short as I can make it.... I was using HOD last year and things were going well. My dh came home on leave from Afghanistan in Oct. and after he left again, we had a really hard time getting back into school. I knew we would have another interruption when dh came home for good in February. I knew his homecoming was more important than school, but I also knew we had a certain number of weeks to get done! I panicked a bit and looked for ways to streamline our life. I felt overwhelmed trying to re-inspire kids to want to do school after saying good bye to their Dad. I resorted to a "get it done" approach and tried putting everyone back together for history. sigh.

So, this school year, I had the same mindset from last year and felt committed to have all children doing the same history, adjusted for their level. Do you know where this is going? I had my 7th grader doing his own thing, then my 3rd and 4th grader doing something together covering the same time period and hoped my K/1st grader could tag along with them. As you can guess, my 6yo was getting over looked. He was getting a phonics lesson and a math lesson and not much more. So, I decided the best thing to do was to start BLHFHG with him. His skills actually placed him better in LHFHG, but Beyond matched what the olders were doing, and I really love Beyond :). Guess what happened next! Everytime I took Michael to the kitchen to do a science activity with him a couple others would tag along to watch or rebuild another boat for the ocean currents activity, etc. After a couple days, my 4th grader came to me and said he wanted to do "Hearts for His Glory." Is God good or what?

So, I will post a separate post about placement, but I think I may have my 4th grader doing Preparing and my 3rd and Ker/1st doing Beyond. I am still in a bit of a shock that all my "well-thought, long-considered" plans for the year have been totally turned upside down in one day. But I am not complaining! This is a change I like! (Btw, this is the same son who requested Baptism last fall after our Bible Study in Bigger!)
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

mamas4bugs

Re: Back to HOD - funny story :)

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:33 am

We're back this year because my oldest son requested it, too. :) (Well, the littles would have been anyway, but I was going in a different direction for him.)

God bless your dh and your family! Thank him for his service for me, please!
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

my3sons

Re: Back to HOD - funny story :)

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Welcome back, Lynn - we missed ya! :D I'm so glad your kiddos will get to enjoy doing HOD, and I pray for a great year for you too. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie