Holiday Units

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dorla

Holiday Units

Post by Dorla » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:31 am

Have any of you LHFHG veterans skipped ahead to a unit because of an upcoming holiday? Could you share what you did? I am thinking of jumping ahead to Unit 23 to learn about Thanksgiving and will probably do the same for Christmas (unit 11) and Easter (unit 16).
If you have done this, would you repeat them when you go back to the "normal" school year or would you omit them when they come back up?
Trying to brainstorm about this. I really do not want to go out and find another unit study just for these special learning days when what I have right here is so good.
thanks for your input,
Dorla

joyful jean

Post by joyful jean » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Yes, I remember skipping up to those units so I would cover it over the holiday. I did not re-cover those subjects when we came to them again. I think I actually wrote which unit I should go back to and cover the weeks I did not cover because of holidays. It was a bit confusing for me, but the kids liked their school being about the holidays that were so close.
God Blesses Every Day, it is up to us to notice!

wife for almost 14 years to my best friend
ds #1 age 7 Second year using Beyond little hearts for His Glory
ds #2 age 5 Little Hearts for His Glory
also used Little Hands to Heaven

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:02 pm

I had not thought about this, but now I'm going hmmm...

:?: Jean, was it confusing for the kids? would you do it again or just let it go? I'm wondering if I should just stay in order since we'll cover this really in depth next year? Maybe just add an extra picture book about the holidays?

This has definately given me something to mull over.....I think I'll go for a walk and do some thinkin'.......
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02