CTC HS Lit selections input Carrie or Julie?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MrsMandy

CTC HS Lit selections input Carrie or Julie?

Post by MrsMandy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok so I tried to find titles that mesh with DITHOR and the CTC time period just because I really want him to have the introduction to the great ancient literature. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look see and let me know if the books are to big of a stretch for Genre or 9th grade reading (my son is 15 1/2 with a 11th grade reading level)

Bio- Nero
Adventure- Beowulf or Gilgamesh
Historical Fiction- Cat of Bubastes (unabridged actual book) or ???
Fantasy- The Odyssey or The Illiad (maybe both to compare as a final project for Lit)
Mystery- The Golden Goblet
Folk Tales- Sure News Up Ahead (Egyptian Folktale)
Non Fiction- First 10 Chapters of Streams of Civilization
Humor- Lysistrata
Realistic Fiction- Silas Marner or ??? (really stumped here)

I also have a few free study guides I found for a couple of these books I may have him do as a more in depth study. I think I either go too light or too heavy on lit because I love it so much and either think what I expect is college level and in trying to temper that do not expect enough or I go overboard with excitement and pile it on like I am the one reading them.
Mandy
Married to, Craig, my HERO since 2000
Mom to 3 with #4 due 02/12
Deirdre 2 LHTH
Connor 8 BHFHG
Bradley 15 CTC (and then some)
http://www.emptymelord.blogspot.com/