Beyond, and "Indians" (First Nations / Native Peoples)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gardenmama28

Re: Beyond, and "Indians" (First Nations / Native Peoples)

Post by gardenmama28 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

I think what it comes down to for me, is, "What world-view are these resources teaching?" Since I have just skimmed the curriculum after recieving it a few weeks ago, I recieved an initial impression, but since I haven't read every thing in depth yet or taught it, I can't say what my final opinion is on these resources.

As I said, my main concern is for my children's world-view. I want my children to have a world view of Native People that values them, sees the benefits and good parts of their culture, but also sees them as real people who have and still do make mistakes. Just as I would want them to appreciate and value any people group for who they are. No culture is perfect. I know that in the colonial times there was alot of bad decisions made on both sides. But if in teaching history we can value both cultures without elevating one above another, that is my goal. I don't want my children to think that the colonists were the "good guys" and the native people were the "bad guys". (I am not saying that these resources teach that viewpoint, but I know it was a common mindet in historical times) Neither do I want to teach Native Spirituality or their sometimes violent and pagan practices as a good thing. Growing up in an area populated with many native people, I have seen both positives and negatives to their culture, both past and present. Just as there are positives and negatives to any culture.

World view is something that all of us as parents are responsible to teach our children. Valuing all people of different cultures, as people just like us, because we know our father God loves them, is my goal in teaching my children.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

This is what I was saying I believe Beyond does a really good job of teaching. :) It shows both right and wrong things people (various people, there are no good guys/bad guys that are an overall theme) did and how that worked out for them. It teaches them that life isn't always going to be sunshine and roses when you choose to do right, but God will always be there with them.

Obviously IMO Beyond does a great job ;)

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 pm

TracyP wrote:Hi gardenmama28, Since you are concerned about the use of the word Indians, I wanted to give you a further heads up about Beyond. Weeks 17-20 may also be problematic. In these weeks Natives kidnap two little boys, demand alcohol, shoot at two children hiding in kettles, and were about to kidnap children on two other occasions but the kids "saved the day" and avoided being taken. My husband has Native American heritage, and we live just outside a reservation. I couldn't stomach giving my kids this one-sided impression of Native people.

Mothermayi, I am curious about how you handled this. Am I being too sensitive?
I haven't used Beyond yet but I appreciate the heads-up. Which book is this story in?
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

TracyP

Post by TracyP » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:02 pm

mothermayi? wrote: I haven't used Beyond yet but I appreciate the heads-up. Which book is this story in?
Three of the stories are in Stories of the Pilgrims and two are in Boys and Girls of Colonial Days.

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I just wanted to add that the Eggleston books used in Bigger have quite a lot of Indian references, and I think even "savage" in the beginning chapters about the early settlements in America.

I had heard that before, that the words Indian and especially Eskimo are not used in Canada but still acceptable here.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:48 am

A lot of the stories show how helpful the Indians were to the Pilgrims and the friendship they had. The books show both sides being "good and bad".
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:49 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:This is what I was saying I believe Beyond does a really good job of teaching. :) It shows both right and wrong things people (various people, there are no good guys/bad guys that are an overall theme) did and how that worked out for them. It teaches them that life isn't always going to be sunshine and roses when you choose to do right, but God will always be there with them.

Obviously IMO Beyond does a great job ;)
Beyond is my FAVORITE guide book... and we've done a lot of them.
I concur that again and again the readings in Beyond's history lessons shows that God is with those who are doing right. :)

ps - a friend from Newfoundland recently told me Eskimo was a slur where she was from. I had no clue. None. It certainly is not in western NY. It is so regional, I expect. We jokingly refer to what a Yankee is, too. But I expect in the south it can often be a negative word for northern US residents.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways