Do you go year-round or when do you start your year?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Re: Do you go year-round or when do you start your year?

Post by Nealewill » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 am

I always love looking at old posts :-)

We school year round but we do HOD between August and June. We do take off about 8 weeks through out our year. I don't mind going later than June if need be to finish up but I don't like feeling like we have to accomplish something over the summer. That way if anything comes up, then we aren't tied to school. For us, because my kids NEED a schedule, I will usually schedule some school over the summer for them to do but it isn't HOD stuff. I make my kids read for 1.5 hours per day. They do some type of math review - it could be games, it could be a worksheet, but it is something and usually only 10-15 minutes or so long. And then we will go through and do something as a family just to learn about something we want to learn about. And finally, I do have a read aloud that read every day to them. My kids LOVE when I read to them out loud so we make sure to include that in our day :-) For us, this seems like a great fit. My kids have a "schedule," which they need desperately. And we get to have fun as a family learning about something fun together. My kids love it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM