History in Bigger is draaaaging...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Re: History in Bigger is draaaaging...

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 am

FWIW, none of mine have liked ANY of the history readings until this year in Preparing. *I* have learned a TON, and they've learned a lot, just didn't enjoy it.

I read the key idea to them either before or after the history reading to help them out. Starting about midway through Bigger I only read it after we've finished all the history stuff (narration, notebooking, activity, etc)

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 am

Carrie wrote:waterandclay,

While you can easily add additional read-alouds to Bigger's history if desired, I did want to clarify that it's still important that children doing Bigger actually learn to listen to, comprehend, and narrate from the higher level history books that are scheduled in Bigger's plans. This is because the skills gained from attending to books with few pictures and more difficult vocabulary and plotlines are essential skills needed as kiddos progress on into Preparing Hearts. :D

So, if your 7 year old ends up getting most of the history content from additional simpler read-alouds that you've added, rather than from the main spines, it will make it very difficult for that child to hang on as you head into Preparing on up. This is because the material just keeps getting more difficult, and the skills in one guide prepare a child well for the next guide in line. :D So, I just wanted to mention that at this juncture for you to ponder, especially in the case of your 7 year old, because HOD is designed so incrementally that each skill has its needed place. :D

If your 7 year old isn't able to hang with the history readings by the time you get further into the guide, it is possible that child is placed over his/her head (which is something to consider in the long run). Otherwise, you'll end up finding yourself in the position of trying to find easier books all along the way for your child and that is no solution in the long haul, because your young one will be able to truly do less and less of the guide as you move up through the years.

It is possible that your 7 year old is just adjusting to the readings and the rigor of Bigger and will do fine. It's just important to watch and know what you are looking for as the guide progresses. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Carrie,

Thanks so much for writing about my post (I didn't mean to hijack.) When I said he was having a harder time with the readings, I meant in comparison to his older brother. We worked on narration last year in 1st, and he is getting better each year. I agree that they should be able to handle scheduled readings. I usually have my youngest narrate our history readings first because his narrations are usually shorter than his older brother. I want to make sure he is understanding. I think he does great for a 7 year old. The extra books are just for fun. We usually only add maybe one or 2 a unit to fill in more details of the story. Today we read On the Mayflower. It was about the the children on the ship, and the jobs they performed during the journey to America. We read it after the Journeys in Time book which they also enjoyed. The 7 year old is handling all aspects of Bigger well. I probably should have been more specific :) We love Bigger (a lot) It has been a great year so far :)

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks Carrie. I try not to stop during the readings, but I'm still trying to teach Angie that she shouldn't interrupt. This has been a very difficult trait to teach her, not only during reading, but in conversations, as well. Also, she is easily distracted, so if I feel she is focusing on something else, I have a tendency to stop and even sometimes reread a paragraph. Is that a no-no? This isn't just in history. She does have some attention issues, although when she listens she has good comprehension.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

alydar

Post by alydar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 am

Carrie wrote:Whitney,

One thing that will definitely be an adjustment and take some time to grow into in BIgger is the upped level of readings. It is important to note as you head into these higher level readings that in a Charlotte Mason living books approach to education the parent is not to get between the child and the reading. With this thought in mind, a couple of things stood out to me in your post. :D

When you mentioned that you are stopping to explain every 2-5 lines, this is actually getting in between the child and the material. While I can see that you are striving to make the connections for your child, in the process this interrupts the flow of the story which actually makes it much harder to comprehend. Just imagine if while you were reading a book that I paused randomely to interject my own thoughts after every 2-5 lines, and then when I paused in my commentary I expected you to go back to reading, stopping each time I explained, and then returning to the reading each time. How difficult would it be to follow the thread of the story? Next, when you try to "liven" the history readings up, I am assuming this also means that you are adding or embellishing. This is also the equivalent of getting in between the child and the reading. In the end, it is hard for the child to know what was actually in the reading and what parts were your comments or explanations. Somehow, the child loses the whole thread of the story in the jumble. :D

So, first of all, I would encourage you to just read the story without interruption, or stopping to explain, or embellishing. I would read with plenty of expression, but not add any commentary. If you do choose to "set the stage", Charlotte Mason would advocate doing it before the reading. You could do this by saying something brief like, "It looks like we will be reading about John Smith and Jamestown today. I wonder what will happen as the colonists try to settle where the Native Americans are already living?" :D

Once you begin reading though, be sure not to interrupt the reading. This will also keep the readings from dragging, as they are very short! Typically, they aren't longer than 5-7 min. After the reading, just do the follow-up activities in the guide. Be sure not to make your child feel like he is on a quiz show at the end of the reading and that you are quizzing him to see how well he listens. So, I would encourage you not to closely question him about the reading. Rather, just proceed on with what is already scheduled in the guide. Truly, the methods that are there are meant to encourage comprehension, build listening skills, and foster narration. I'll link you to another post running on the board right now that should really encourage you in this area. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12621

You mentioned listening improving when your son is interested in the material. I'll just share that the Eggleston books and Seabiscuit are very high reading level books, so I am assuming that they are at a much higher level than the material you typically read-aloud to your son. With all children, it is easier to pay attention and comprehend when something is at a lower level, because it does not require as much work on the part of the listener to attend to the reading. For example, if you were listening to a show like Barney (the big purple dinosaur), you could probably comprehend it very easily even if you were only partly listening. However, if you were listening to a documentary about the Presidents, you would need to sit down, focus, and really pay attention; and even then you would probably not take in "all" of what you heard, but rather bits and pieces that stood out to you. The same is true for our children when they are listening to a read-aloud that is more difficult. :wink: They have to sit down, focus, really pay attention; and even then they cannot take it "all" in, but rather they remember bits and pieces that stood out to them. :wink: Sometimes the deer in the headlights look is not about being bored but is rather the stricken look children get when they fear we will ask them a question that they do not know the answer to and that they will be judged on their answer as to whether they were listening or not. This is why I encourage you not to question your child beyond what is in the Bigger guide at this point, as listening is the skill we are developing. Too many skills all at once overwhelm a child. :D

Listening and comprehending higher level material is hard work. It is a skill to be developed that does not occur overnight, or even in six weeks. It is one of the main goals of Bigger Hearts and is so needed in order for the child to thrive in Preparing Hearts. By the end of Bigger though, I know you will see good gains! :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Thank you Carrie for your thorough and thoughtful advice on this matter. :D I will take your suggestions to heart and adjust my approach accordingly for history.

Regarding Storytime, how should I handle it when he can offer nothing when asked to retell or narrate?

Thanks!
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

alydar

Post by alydar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 am

psreit wrote:Thanks Carrie. I try not to stop during the readings, but I'm still trying to teach Angie that she shouldn't interrupt. This has been a very difficult trait to teach her, not only during reading, but in conversations, as well. Also, she is easily distracted, so if I feel she is focusing on something else, I have a tendency to stop and even sometimes reread a paragraph. Is that a no-no? This isn't just in history. She does have some attention issues, although when she listens she has good comprehension.

I think this is one of our biggest issues, too. A lack of attention. My ds also has problems understanding when not to interrupt, is easily distracted, and seems very focused on something other than what's happening in school. And like your dd he has good comprehension when he does listen.

I'd love to hear some ideas on how to encourage him to focus better on the task at hand.
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Whitney! I think one of these threads may help with narration...

Narration Help...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10436&p=75955

Philosophy Behind Narration Skills:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8918

Narration Discussion and Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8118&p=60893#p60893

Hope something helps, but be encouraged that narration skills take much time to develop. :D It is something to continue working on through high school, so sheer time is on our side - I have found this thought reassuring. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie