Another CRAZY question :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyMc

Another CRAZY question :)

Post by MommyMc » Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 pm

So, I have been pondering and pondering what we should do next year (with all of the extra time I have been having since we decided to abruptly stop school last Friday).

According to the Placement Charts, my DD is definitely in Preparing. My DS is somewhere between Bigger and Preparing, but could probably handle Preparing. But, y'all encouraged me to go with Bigger for next year and so I've really been leaning that direction.

How crazy would it be to get both programs if I really did it AS WRITTEN? I could do Bigger with DS and Preparing with DD. They would both be VERY able to do some reading on their own. Then, perhaps, they would both be ready to do the next book after Preparing the following year. DD would be then be on the cycle to finish up HOD in eighth grade and if need be, DS could do Preparing next year instead of the new book.

Is that completely insane? I also thought that I could buy the things for the extension package to Bigger that I don't already have and then if things are too difficult, we could always just do Bigger together.

What do y'all think? I know you'll have great advice (and I love it that you all seem to really want to encourage other Moms in training and educating and loving their kids). This is a really neat board and I'm already excited about next year. :D
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm

I know there are several Moms on this board that teach 2 programs at a time, so I know it is doable. Hopefully one of them will chime in and give you more specific advice. :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 pm

The funniest thing about this question is that I have ALWAYS taught them together. It started when DD was in kindergarten and DS was 3. He joined us for everything but her math and handwriting (and he was always peeking at her math-- I think that's why he's so good at it! ;) ). Anyway, now that I am looking at a curriculum that is perfect for combining, I am contemplating splitting them up. Weird, huh?

But, the more I look and pray, the more it makes sense. But, since I've never even seen one of the guides, I wanted to get a feel from those who've used them.
Last edited by MommyMc on Wed May 28, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Anita,

The only HOD guide I've used is LHTH...which is not what you're asking about yet. :wink: But, this thought may help you. Carrie is planning on gently moving the kids to independence starting with Preparing, so you can spend the time you need to with your little ones. Preparing is set up with part of it techer-directed, part semi-indpendent, part independent. I'm assuming the trend is even more independent with the next guide...and so on. Sooo, I'd say that your plan could work beautifully. Maybe your kids will like to have their "own thing".

I'm sure the more experienced will chime in here, too.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Thu May 29, 2008 8:44 am

Carrie, Julie, Water2Wine, inhistiming, MamaMary, other experienced HODies...

Any opinions? I'm going to start to get my order together to show my husband! :D
Anita

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 am

Anyone?
Anita

peridot

Post by peridot » Fri May 30, 2008 9:53 am

Two programs are doable and not crazy. Both of those programs have things being done independently (more with Preparing). I am doing 2 programs this year (Bigger and LHFHG). In a few years I may be doing 3. :shock: If you have prayed about it, showed what is in each program to your husband and children (mine loved looking at what they would be learning) and you still believe that 2 programs would be better...then go for it! :D If you find that 2 are just too much, you can just scale back to Bigger and add for your older.
~April~
Wife to my beloved husband
Mommy to our blessings (10,8,5,2 and newborn~12/29/2010)
We are going to use Bigger w/ 10yr-will be 11 (with extensions) & 8yr old & LHFHG with 5yr old-will be 6. :-)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:50 pm

MommyMC,

If you're talking about this option for your kiddos who appear to be within a year or two of each other age-wise, I think you'd still be better off choosing one program for both of them. While you could do "Bigger..." and "Preparing...", especiallly if your kiddos could read and follow directions from the guide fairly independently, you'd miss out on the blessing of combining them when they are obviously so close in age.

If I remember correctly the reason we steered you toward "Bigger.." was for the American history focus, but if that is not so important and you feel they fit better in "Preparing..." placement chart wise, then I would put then in "Preparing..". If you start them together and "Preparing.." feels like too much for the younger, you could always do your other plan as a back-up and drop your younger one to "Bigger...". I'd definitely give combining a try first, one way or another, since it appears that is what you've been doing up until now.

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Sweet Anita, (((Waving)))

I think you could go either way. However, if I were making this decision for my family I would go with Preparing and combine. If you told me that your son was strongly placing in Bigger I would consider doing two, but since he is almost to Preparing and your daughter is for sure placing there, I would go for it. :D

I have found combining HOD to be easy, but less allows me to immerse more and so if I have that option that's what I go for :wink:

Hth,
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Thank you Mary and Carrie!

My DD is DEFINITELY ready for Preparing.

She will probably need the extensions actually. She had been doing two lessons of Building with Diligence in less than 1/2 an hour at the end of our school year. She will be in Singapore 5A, but also is 2/3 through Saxon 6/5 (which we are planning to give up for next year). So, she would probably be much further in Singapore, but we only do it about 2-3 days per week.

She is also an EXCELLENT reader (speed, orally and comprehension).

The only thing I am not sure about is dictation because we haven't done that at all. So, I think my DS (who is 8 and will be in third grade) will DEFINITELY struggle with dictation. I would also put him in the Grade 2 R&S because we decided NOT to learn cursive this year in second grade with him. He needed more manuscript practice. So, I plan on teaching that to him next year using A Reason For Handwriting Transition. If I didn't already have it, I'd be tempted to try your Cheerful Cursive book.

Anyway, my DD is ready for Preparing. It is just my son that I have reservations about. I also have reservations about whether he would be ready for the next level the next year.

Thank you for your advice. It seems I should think and pray some more before I decide to do two programs since both of you wise ladies really recommend combining. The last three years, I have been pregnant or had a young baby. This year, my toddler and preschooler seem to be settling into a routine during school and the older two are doing a great job getting their "basics" done. So, I feel like I have a little "wiggle room." I just do NOT want to overdo it (as all who have read my posts know I tend to do :oops: ). And it seems that when I TRY to overdo it, I often ACTUALLY get LESS done. Funny how that is, huh?
Anita

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 pm

I would recommend combining them...and use the extension pack for dd. That's what I'll be doing with my dd 8 and ds 10, using Bigger..... I could do 2 programs, because my ds could handle Preparing...but we did separate programs this year (not both HOD) and I want to try keeping them together. The school day will be shorter, they will be learning the same thing, and we can add Spanish, typing, piano lessons if we want to, and still have a life! Plus, I can't wait to really get into American History with both of them, because I LOVE it! :D HTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Dear Anita,

I do agree that combining them in one of the 2 would probably be best, and just so much fun as well! If your dd is very ready for Preparing..., I think you could do that with both of them, and you already have great ideas for making that work for your younger - English 2 would be easy to sub in for him, and the handwriting will be an easy sub-in too. As far as the dictation, Level 2, 3, and 4 will all be included in Preparing's Appendix, and Level 2 is what is included in the Bigger... Appendix. I think your son would do just fine with that level of dictation, provided you take it slowly. You could always just start that later in the year with him too. And, you could have Plan B in mind (do Bigger... with ds if Preparing... is too much), and all of this will still work out. You will know what you feel is the best scenario for your situation here, so whatever plan you decide to do, it will be a good one! :o :o :o :o I'm so excited for you to start HOD, and I'm also so glad you've taken a break this summer - you really deserve that. Keep on being the wonderfully caring mom that you are! You'll find the answer!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 pm

MommyMc wrote: The only thing I am not sure about is dictation because we haven't done that at all. So, I think my DS (who is 8 and will be in third grade) will DEFINITELY struggle with dictation.

The last three years, I have been pregnant or had a young baby. This year, my toddler and preschooler seem to be settling into a routine during school and the older two are doing a great job getting their "basics" done.

So, I feel like I have a little "wiggle room." I just do NOT want to overdo it (as all who have read my posts know I tend to do :oops: ). And it seems that when I TRY to overdo it, I often ACTUALLY get LESS done. Funny how that is, huh?
Dear Anita,

I use StartWrite (thank you W2W for suggesting this) it is great for any that struggle with copywork or dictation. If you've not looked at it you can try it for FREE. It allows you to type anything you want into the program and then it turns it into a handwriting practice sheet.

I also wanted to tell you something the Lord put on my heart as I read of your new season of wiggle room. I remember well when my little ones started to get more independent. I felt as though I had spent years always making do on what was easiest for mommy to survive those baby years. (especially my last two who were just two years apart :shock: )

I made a HUGE mistake in my newfound freedom and over did my curriculum goals that next year. If I could do it again I would have chosen to gone with a simplier combination and immersed the boys more. Instead, I tried to do too much and I felt like we became box checkers .

I know you already know this, but one less program will free you up to have spontaneous moments in your life. You can work with your younger son in those area's that he needs more help.

However, I know you will let the Lord guide your steps. Just because that was my experience and may not be yours :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri May 30, 2008 8:21 pm

Anita,

I was thinking the same thing Carrie said. Yes you could do it and it would work to run those two programs but I also think you would be missing a big blessing. I could have done the same thing with my kids actually with Preparing and Bigger. My oldest is a very good reader and fairly sharp but when I thought about it how many more years will she have where we all can do it together this way. It's a bonding thing that I would not want to give up. 8)

To me there is enough wiggle room between those two programs that it seems like there are lots of cases where maybe one is just a little better fit but they can wiggle to either. I think it's worth taking advantage of the wiggle. I can promise you this. They will both be great programs. But I agree when they are close enough to combine it is wonderful to do it. To give you an idea we have from above 6th grade reading level to maybe at highest beginning 2nd grade reading level combined into Bigger. Now age wise the gap is not that big (9-10 1/2) but ability wise we have a wide range. But never once have I regretted combining them all. Now did I map out how they all will fall after I read the future programs, yes because I am obsessive like that. :lol: But you know what I realized. It's all so perfect. And it was a good decision. It allows us always really to be studying similar things even when my oldest breaks off for high school. And I like that.

In the end you have to pick what sits best with you. It would not be wrong to run two programs that close. But since I literally had this same decision to look at, it's hard for me to decide any different than the same decision that has worked so well for us. :D

I hope something there helps. :D Let us know what you do. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)