Reason #6 to Use HOD - PreK through 12th Plan!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Reason #6 to Use HOD - PreK through 12th Plan!

Post by Tiffini » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm

This is a wonderful reason to use HOD and stick with it through the end if at all possible. The HOD plan is pure genius if you ask me - and even if you didn't - I'll tell ya! :D Carrie has a VERY well thought out, precise, purposeful plan to take a child from the beginning of learning all the way through the end of high school. She builds so gradually, yet so purposefully in each plan, that you don't even realize all that your children are learning and the ways they are maturing until you look back and see how far they have come. I know I've touched on this in some of the other posts, but it deserves a post all its own!

There are times when I've wondered why we are using a certain book or feeling that the kids just aren't getting it. And maybe they aren't at the time - but it is still there on purpose - and it still causing maturity and development even if it doesn't seem like it right then. For example, I remember when my kids were doing the Bigger Hearts history books and it just didn't seem like they were getting it sometimes. I continued on regardless. And now I'm so glad that I did. I see the fruit of using those books that wasn't so evident at the time. In fact, my son still brings up some of the stories from those books 5 years later! I know it was causing them to think a little harder, to learn from a book that wasn't baby-talking to them, to make connections on a deeper level.

Of course, the independent learning plan is carried out so beautifully from year to year (already talked about that in the Self-Propelled Advantage). :D

There is just something about having the same person write the plan from beginning to end so that nothing is missed. (Already talked about that in the Author Post). :D

I found HOD when my twins were in the 3rd grade and my oldest was in the 5th grade and we started with Bigger Hearts. So, we missed the beginning years which always made me sad. Then we adopted and I got to start over and use them all! :) But, no matter where you start with HOD, you can be successful with it, I am sure of that. :)

Not many, if any, other curriculum publishers have such a purposeful plan FOR THE ENTIRE 12+ YEARS of our child's education. I know I keep using that word - purposeful - but that is just the right word to use with HOD. None of it is wasted. None of it just busy work. It is all there for a reason. Can I get an "Amen"? :D

The HOD "Purposeful Plan" = Priceless :D
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

StillJulie

Re: Reason #6 to Use HOD - PreK through 12th Plan!

Post by StillJulie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

So true!

And I love it that my oldest is one year behind as far as new guides coming out. I like that extra leeway, and I love that she (and her five siblings) won't have to miss anything!
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 am

AMEN!!! :D :D :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

blessedmama

Post by blessedmama » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Amen!!
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm

This is so true! We're in Bigger this year and it's been a year of "ah-ha" moments realizing something we did back in LHTH is actually connected to something in Bigger! I also think running three guides at once helped me see the connections as well :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm

AMEN !!!!!!