Conferences....to go or not go?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

Conferences....to go or not go?

Post by snadig » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:01 am

Hello wonderful ladies!

I am looking for some feed back regarding conferences. We will be staying with HOD, I plan until they all graduate. My question is why go to a conference?

We have a very small one here in Loveland co called HIM, and we will go to that one, the Super conference in Denver I wasn't to sure about. I think they have thousands of people come over 3 days, but you can't take kids younger than 10, not that my kids are very excited to go one anyway. I was just curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Stacey

Here is a verse for today:
We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”– (1 Corinthians 2:6-9 NIV84)
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

4Hispraise

Re: Conferences....to go or not go?

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 am

Stacey,
We don't go to conferences any more. I haven't attended one - big or small - since my oldest was seven. He is thirteen now, so it has been awhile. The thing that I always like about the convention is being encouraged and inspired by the speakers. It is a time to recapture a vision of what God intends us to accomplish. I hate to say it, but it is an expensive encouragement. So my dh and I take a short weekend every two to three years to refocus. Usually we send the kids to the grandparents and then we stay home. :D We spend time answering questions (again) like, "Why are we doing this? What does God want our school day to look like? Are we accomplishing His purposes? Are there any goals we need to set for ourselves/the kids? Have we accomplished any of the goals we previously had set?" and a whole lot more... It is very intentional. It has to be or mama ends up doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. My husband does not allow it on our weekend. He even treats me to dinner out some place other than fast food. :D It really does help to revisit all the reasons we homeschool and to remember what God is asking of us.

We live simply and try to keep things economical. Not going to a convention helps us with the funds to purchase HOD curriculum. I wouldn't want to spend my money on a convention and not be able to keep moving forward with HOD...this curriculum just blesses me and encourages my children's faith (and mine)...that is worth way more to me. :D

Really, there is no right answer - you have to decide why you would want to go and if it is worthwhile for you. God will lead you to what is best for your family. There have been hsing years that were really HARD because of the things the Lord brought into our lives - or removed from our lives - and those years, well...I could really have used a conference or two or three. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 pm

I really have missed not being able to attend and am looking forward (hopefully) to attending this year. Three years ago my husband was in Mexico with Casas por Cristo, two years ago I shattered my ankle, and last summer our eldest son got married. I love the encouragement and the time of focus. However, if I had to pick between purchasing curriculum and attending conference, I would pick purchasing.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

snadig

Post by snadig » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Ladies,

Thanks for your reply. We will go to the small curriculum fair here in Loveland co, but I think we will for go the big one in Denver. It just doens't seem to fit in with where we are right now. It is great to hear why some go an so don't. We have only been to the small one, and last year was our first time. They have a few workshops that are encouraging and it doesn't cost much, maybe $15.00.

I use to feel like we were missing out on stuff, but we are so happy with HOD that I don't really feel that way anymore. So thanks for your time.
blessings,
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Kims

Post by Kims » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 am

If Julie and Carrie are going to be at one you have to go just to meet them. They are wonderful ladies and very helpful.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I really enjoy the boost that I get from a conference. Although I have found that I quickly overspend in the convention hall. Even though I order from HOD. Thankfully once I made it to a convention and met Carrie and Julie! One thing that is fun to do, when it's a bigger conference far away from home, is plan a girls time. I am planning to go to a convention this year with some friends. That way the cost is lower, my kids are being taken care of by dad and its not as expensive as going with the family. While I love my family, the thought of sitting through a conference with my little ones does not sound fun for them or me. It's also very expensive for the whole family. With food allergies it gets difficult. But, it's a great time going with a friend and taking time in the hotel to spend with God, in the quiet!
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm

I went to a small one once. I went just to see the vendor set ups. I bought honey - lol!

That was a few years ago. I am going this year just to get things from Millers Pad and Paper. They have awesome items for awesome prices. It's worth the $10 to get into the show to buy items just from them. And, I am sure I will also get more honey from the farm that usually sets up there.

I never felt the need to do anything more than this with conferences. I've never had a need for the workshop topics that are ever presented. Just not my thing, I guess.

This year will be different though, as I have a friend who wishes to start homeschooling her non-verbal autistic child (5th grade). She is just starting to learn what their homeschooling options are, and wants to be ready for the fall. I want to support her all I can, and expose her to as many resources as possible. If it works out, we'll be going to this little mini convention/book fair together.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.