Fast Paced - 5 days a week to get through all guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

Fast Paced - 5 days a week to get through all guides

Post by daybreaking » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 am

After reading another post about skipping a guide in order to get through all of the high school guides, I was wondering about another option. We're currently finishing Bigger in 4th grade. Doing a guide a year will leave us missing the last guide. Since Preparing and subsequent guides are scheduled for 4 days a week, I was wondering about the feasibility of doing them 5 days a week, thus getting through each guide in 28 weeks, rather than 35, and then moving right into the next guide. In that way, I would be able to get through 5 guides in 4 years. I'm curious as to folks thoughts on this.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Fast Paced - 5 days a week to get through all guides

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 pm

I read today that carrie does the 4 day guides 5 days. But it is to shirten their school year, not to start the next guide earlier. So very doable! Youd just start a new guide and go until your chosen last say, then pick up in fall where you left off.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:48 am

Another option is occasionally work on Saturdays. My 13 yo and I are doing that every other Saturday right now. We go out in the morning and buy a coffee/smoothie treat and run errands. Come home and do a few hours of school while enjoying a treat. It makes working on Saturday easier because she looks forward to the treat. Then I get schooling done with her with no complaints, and without the younger two being disruptive to her. The subjects she does determines how much she'll have to do each time.

We currently do school 5 days, but sometimes that 5th day isn't finished. Every now and then we do 4 days, like when there is a field trip we can go on.

My goal is between doing 5 days as we are, and Saturday's, we can go through an extra week to week and 1/2 each month. However, it may be sometimes that she is just digging deeper and spending more time on something, and that's good too. We plan to school through part of summer as well. We'll have to see where she is when that time comes as to exactly what we'll do. All this is stemming from working early on high school credits, and hoping to free up some on her senior year for extra interests.

Eta: my 10 yo is in Preparing. She has a major sleep disorder, and it effects her schooling some days more than others. Most times she will use all 5 days to get one unit completed.
Last edited by Tabitha on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm

This was the plan in our house, too. Hasn't quite worked out that way so far (my oldest is in Preparing) we've ended up doing only 4 days most weeks because of dh's work schedule being 4 days and that 5th day more often than not is eaten up with family time. However, I'm still hoping we'll be able to successfully follow this general plan in future years. I'm loving the above idea for some Saturday's with a special treat! That will be one I hope to try, as well! :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I was a bit concerned that it might be too much and was wondering if anyone felt they needed that extra day a week to finish up activities from the four days. From your responses, It sounds like it'd be doable to do five days a week.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17