Having some big math problems

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

Having some big math problems

Post by Tracee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi There,

My daugther is in Singapore 1A and is having big, big problems. I know it's not the program or my teaching :) , because my other two are in Singapore and doing great! Her twin brother is whizzing through the book. I've mentioned that all my kids have dyslexia, and I think it is part of the reason she is having so much trouble. She is still having trouble remembering the names of numbers. I give her a number chart when she is doing her work, so she can remember how to write the numbers, but if I were to point to numbers 11-20, she can't name them. If I say 2 tens, she will write 11, which shows me she isn't really getting the concept of tens and ones. She actually started to say the numbers herself like this, 1 teen, 2 teen, 3 teen. I know from doing Math U See Primer before we started with HOD, that this is the exact language they use. I'm wondering if Math U See might be a better fit for somebody who is struggling in math. I would hate to do 2 different programs, but I wouldn't have to worry about my twins comparing themselves to each other. Has anybody used Singapore with a child who is struggling in math? Maybe I'm just moving too fast for her, and I need to slow down. Even though I started 1A at the same age I started my oldest, I must have moved very slowly, because he is only in 2B, and he started 1A two years ago.

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

8arrows

Re: Having some big math problems

Post by 8arrows » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I have 8 children, 7 who are school age or above. I have used at least some Singapore with all of them. However, with 2 of them, it just didn't work as well. With one of them, perhaps I could have made it work. Yes, we have used different math programs. I have two boys close in age. The younger is very proficient in math; the older struggles. I have chosen to use 2 different programs in this unique case. The younger flies through math and rarely needs explanation, while the older would be trudging through the lower levels if we were using the same program. I do have to say, that in most cases where it works well, Singapore is a great program that we have had nice success with.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

I would put the Singapore aside for at least a time... options include mammoth math, themathworksheetsite.com, modern curriculum press, liberty mathematics, and I'm sure many others. These are just the ones I have experience with.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I just wanted to mention that I have twins also. My are 11 year old boys. We had some problems with Math a few years ago, and then I finally decided to do two different math programs. As much as I didn't want to seperate them and use different programs,I knew that I had to do something. One of my twins is using Math u See, the one that was struggling. It has worked wonderful for us now. No comparing, which was a problem, and my twin is not struggling anymore. So, if you think is is better for to have them in different programs, go for it. It has worked for us.
Pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:32 am

Thanks you all so much! That really helps. I've been a huge fan of Singapore. I just love the way it teaches math, but I think I might have to consider other options for her. I'm actually attending a curriculum fair in our area on Friday, so I'll be praying about what to do. Thank you again! Your thoughts and opinions really help.

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

You can use any math with HOD, and certainly one math program won't fit everyone. I too am a big fan of Singapore, however, so I was wondering if your little honey did Earlybird Kindergarten along with the hands-on activities in LHFHG? If not, it could be she just needs to drop back a level. If she did that, she'd be doing Math Essentials now though, as this is what replaced EB K. I still think the hands-on activities in LHFHG are awesome and really help with number sense. Just thought I'd throw that out there, as like you, we have loved Singapore with our dc as well! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie