Ok, after asking ?'s, pouring through samples....,

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Ok, after asking ?'s, pouring through samples....,

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:44 pm

I think I have a plan. :?:

5&7 year old boys will do the "little" program. I will use all the math and LA resources for my 5 year old, but will leave my 7 year old in his T4L'ing.

I will use "Bigger" for my 11 year old son w/ learning differences.

Now I have to sit on it and see if that sticks :roll: :?: :?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:17 am

Sounds like a plan! :D Maybe I like it so much because it's almost exactly what I'm doing! :wink:

Melanie
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:49 am

glad you have it worked out! :P
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:44 am

Oh Mary I am so glad for you. Just one question? I thought you were a "Betty" like me. Aren't you a quick trigger too :-) Once I decide I can't stand not to get started hehehe! You must have some Olive there I don't.

Well glad you know what to do know if you decide this is the right thing for ya. And thanks for letting me tell you what I thought. It worked so well I am waiting for my BHFG to arrive. Uh I wish I had all the books so I could use the sample :-)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:50 pm

water2wine wrote: Just one question? I thought you were a "Betty" like me. Aren't you a quick trigger too :-) Once I decide I can't stand not to get started hehehe! You must have some Olive there I don't.
Yes, I am very Betty. I think I have learned some Olive tendencies through many years of homeschooling. (smile) I had to learn the hard way too many times! :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 pm

You're a better woman than me. :lol:

netpea

Ummm

Post by netpea » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Ok, I don't get it, what's it mean to be a "Betty" or "Olive" :?: :?: :?:

Also, I am glad you are at peace with your decision. Your plan sounds very well thought out. Your 7yo should be just fine in Little and Bigger is probably just right for the 11yo.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 am

Hey Mary...maybe you could re-post the info. on "Olive" and "Betty" that you posted on HSR?
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 am

I am sorry. I should have realized that some people would not get that. I do not mean to have any kind of a private joke. It was from a post on another board started by Mary and I think probably the longest thread in history because it had so many replies in my mind I guess everyone in the hsing world heard about it. It comes from the idea that people are either right brained or left brained. Right brainers are Bettys and left brainers are Olives. It was on homeschoolreviews.com But just to explain what I meant is that Bettys usually tend to be impulsive and Olives tend to be more thought oriented in decision making. I was actually making fun of myself, not Mary here. As soon as I know this is the deal for me I am off to the races. I had been trying so long in my head to make this work for my older kids that as soon as I figured it all out I pulled the trigger. And all that ultimately came from trying to figure it out for Mary and then asking Carie myself about me. So I was actually kind of making fun of myself that I rationalized a way to start mid year and already ordered the materials when she was the one asking the questions originally. So as you can tell from Mary's categories I would be a high Betty :-)

Figuring out more clearly how I teach really showed me that this is the best tool out there for me. It is that perfect balance of organized but freedom left there to be able to tweak it however I want. I think it works so well because Carrie gets that the idea is to help the parent find their style not to push them into a style. So with these programs I know what ever I might decide I want different is no problem because it is very flexible but at the same time I always know what is there is perfect to stand on it's own and very complete. In fact I think the idea that people tend to be either more right or left brained is part of what makes HOD so great because Carry is really covering both sides in her guides. That shows in her questions to her audience about things like how would they like the plan presented, daily or weekly. She doesn't just go with how her head thinks would be best. And that is why it works for so many people. Hope that all makes some sense. Sorry about that :roll:

Oh and now ou can see that Mary has posted it here under what kind of Homeschooler are you. Loads of fun to figure yourself out ;-)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Mary,

I think your plan sounds great. By having "Little Hearts..." and "Bigger...", you can always place your 7 year old in whichever program seems to fit that child best when the time comes. Yet, you'll be giving your 5 year old the skills and foundation that child needs and will also be placing your 11 year old in a program that will nudge him along rather than holding him back.

On a side note, the Betty/Olive description made me smile. I'm sure many homeschool moms can see themselves in those descriptions.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Hooray, Mary! I'm so glad for you, and I think your plan sounds like a great fit for you and your kiddos! You know we're doing LHFHG and Bigger... this year too, and loving it. Hope you enjoy it like we do!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie