Tomorrow is the big day!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RecumbentHeart

Tomorrow is the big day!

Post by RecumbentHeart » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 pm

We're starting Beyond and I'm feeling so nervous.I think it's the thought of adjusting to a new routine. Once I've found a schedule that works for us and DS gets familiar with it and knows what to expect, all will be fine - but the process of change always incurs resistance and behavioral problems which I am not looking forward to. Please pray that we will quickly find and settle into an effective routine and that I will have the courage and confidence to face whatever comes with a meek and quiet spirit. Also for wisdom. I need much wisdom. :(
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

spidermansmum

Re: Tomorrow is the big day!

Post by spidermansmum » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 pm

ITU -praying tomorrow goes smoothly.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm

How exciting! I'm starting Beyond soon and can't wait! I'm sure he'll catch your enthusiasm.
Blessings!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 pm

We're starting Bigger at half speed in the morning :) My daughter finished Beyond at the end of May and she's been pestering me to start Bigger. I finally gave in and told we'd start next week at half speed. I'll pray for you in the morning!

Melissa
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

We're starting Preparing and Little Hands tomorrow! :D Hope your day goes smoothly.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 pm

So how was your day? Ours was fabulous! She was so excited to do everything...especially grammar! That made my English-teaching-heart do a little leap for joy :)

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

lissiejo wrote:So how was your day? Ours was fabulous! She was so excited to do everything...especially grammar! That made my English-teaching-heart do a little leap for joy :)
I'm happy for you. :lol:

It was light years better than I was dreading. The day didn't start out as I initially intended but it turned out for the best and I think I have found our routine. My child does not get excited about school but I am hoping that the longer we are with HOD, the more his disposition will change.

The biography introduction went great. He enjoys the emergent readers (he actually chose one he read last year, The Pony Express, as part of his biography presentation). He is interested in the history (which fits in with some of his recent book obsessions, one of which also came up in his biography presentation to express his strong interest in the ships and history of the past six centuries). He does seem to like poetry. He didn't utter a word of complaint about the spelling and only a couple of brief moments of frustration over the copywork. He just came out of bed to ask me to tell him the memory verse again (Ps 4:8) because he was having trouble getting scarey thoughts out of his mind. I think there may be hope for this year. Perhaps by next year he'll be excited about school.
Alicia

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:42 am

sounds like a wonderful start
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am

I'm glad it went better than your dreading :) I know how that is. My girl loves to learn, so I don't have that battle, but she's not a fan of handwriting or spelling. There is always something that isn't as fun. She's doing better this year about both of those than she was last year though.

homefire

Post by homefire » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:36 am

I'm so glad to hear things went well yesterday. How did it go today? At our house the real test is after about two weeks of something new (for Mom too);)
Daughter of the King, wife to my firefighting hubby, and Mom to my three blessings.
LM: 7yo dd Beyond for 2nd grade, AIG Answers for Kids, piano
CL: 6yo ds LHFHG, AIG for Kids, starting piano this year!
AM: 4yo dd LHTH and some LHFHG

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:04 pm

lissiejo wrote:I'm glad it went better than your dreading :) I know how that is. My girl loves to learn, so I don't have that battle, but she's not a fan of handwriting or spelling. There is always something that isn't as fun. She's doing better this year about both of those than she was last year though.
It's encouraging to know your DD is improving in her disposition toward her less favored parts of school. :D It gives me hope for DS (who is an avid learner but not a fan of formal primary education :) .. I'm still hopeful that HOD will convert him though! ).

homefire wrote:I'm so glad to hear things went well yesterday. How did it go today? At our house the real test is after about two weeks of something new (for Mom too);)
Good question! :lol: Today was even less as planned! More frustrations than yesterday but it hasn't been with DS, it's been with his younger siblings. DS did just fine. They all (well, except my toddler) ended up taking turns playing in the sink with the boat and squirt thing (scheduled science activity) which occupied them during some of my work with DS and he played with it more himself while I worked with his sister so that kept him out of trouble, enabling her to focus more, too. He loves the books. It is killing him that we're only reading a few pages/one chapter of each per day which had the most wonderful affect on his attitude toward starting school today.

Seriously, today was one of those days though where if I didn't have a specific plan it would NOT have been done. I was tempted not to do it today as it was - if there had been no plan to hold my hand and walk me through it there would have been no hope. As it turned out, HOD filled a bad day with some warm and fuzzies .. but .. I'll be sure to do a two week update. :lol:
Alicia