general info question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my2girls

general info question

Post by my2girls » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 pm

I am looking at what to do for next year. I have been considering using this curriculum, I think it would be a good fit. I have one main question though. If each book has an age range of 3 years, are there different things you can do the following year? Do you use the same book for more than one year? Just wondering how that works as you go year from year, but there isn't a different book for each age level.

Lisa

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Lisa,

Welcome! I am so glad your here. Each book can be used by an age range that spans 3 years. So for instance,

Little Hearts is for 5-7 year olds. So if you use it with your 5 year old then the next year you would move onto Beyond little Hearts which is for 6-8 year olds.

One manuel is good for one year of study.

I hope this helps
:D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Lisa! :D Welcome to the HOD board! There are so many helpful ladies here. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice to consider as you find the right "fit" for your family. Something that would really help would be to know the ages of your girls. I don't know if you saw it, but HOD has a placement chart that is very helpful in determining which program to start your child in. If you take a look at this and let us know where your girls fit, that will also help a lot.http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

HOD's programs have age ranges on them that do overlap...this is because your child's ability level has a lot more to do with where you should place them than a grade level. The programs build on each other so that your child will be ready for the next one in line. Sooo, the important thing (and the most difficult :? ) is finding a good place to start. Some moms do take a program at "half-speed" where they do the left page (Learning through History) one day and the right page (Learning the Basics) the next day. Usually this is when the child is on the young side of the age range for a program.

I don't know if you've read many posts on here...but Carrie's plan is to write guides that go through "8th grade". There's a year of "wiggle room" built in so that you wouldn't have to finish a guide a year K-8 to be done before high school.

I'm so enjoying HOD for my family...we've started Little Hands to Heaven and love it! I also just got Bigger along with DITHOR for my 8 yo. We plan to start some of it soon. We love the focus Carrie has given these guides of pointing us to the Lord and what He says about things! (Plus they're easy to use and just doggone fun! :D )

Hopefully that made sense...it's getting late here. Wishing you the best in your decision-making!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 pm

Kathleen has it right. I would only add that, starting with Bigger...there are extension packs available so you can use the guides with older children too.

For example: my two oldest are 8 and 10. My dd needs to move into Bigger... after finishing Beyond... this year. So, I ordered Bigger...as well as the extension pack, found on the sight, for 4th and 5th graders learning with younger siblings. This way, my 10 yo son can join us in the basic things, have his own level of Math and L.A., then do his 'extra' History and Science reading on his own. Both children will be using DITHOR for their reading program, and their own levels of handwriting. I also ordered Initing Your Writing for ds to use if I think he needs extra writing.

These are just some options if you are looking at HOD for more than one child. Let us know what you're thinking, then we can offer more specific suggestions. And welcome! :D

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 am

My 2 girls-

I will also add that you certainly COULD make one last two years if you had other things you wanted to do along with it. I truly, truly considered doing Beyond over 1.5 years, then Bigger over 1.5 years, for a total of three, because there are so many OTHER things we like to include.

This curriculum in extremely flexible. I am not as flexible, however :roll: and I ended up going with the 1 book, 1 year plan...

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

my2girls

Post by my2girls » Thu May 15, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks so much for the replies so far. I have an almost 7 year old and a 9 year old, both girls. The oldest is a little behind and the younger is ahead (gets bored very easily if it is not challenging enough). One unknown right now is if my oldest is going to stay in school for next year or come back home. If she stays in school, I will just start with Beyond... with my youngest. But... if both are home, I would like to do them together, and start with Bigger.... So, then my next question is, if i start with Bigger.. will there be a new book out for the following year??

Thanks!

Lisa[/i]

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:08 am

the next book is Preparing and it is already available! :D

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu May 15, 2008 9:12 am

Hi Lisa and welcome. If you started with Bigger with both, the next year after Bigger would be preparing which is an over view of world History that prepares for the next four year that is the classic 4 cycles of history starting with Ancients. Carrie plans on releasing a new guide every year so that the families can stay on track. So I think what you might be concerned with is that there will be a place consistently to go with your girls for the next year and that will be covered for you. :D And I do think with a two year span and the older being a bit "behind" and the younger being "ahead" you should be able to find a way to combine and have that work very well. I have four kids using Bigger from ages 8 1/2 - 10 1/2 and that is working great. Within that group I do have one that is reading delayed and behind in general so there is a lot of flexibility.

The thing that sometimes takes a little work is figuring out the best program for your family but it is really worth it and I just want to encourage you to give HOD a try with both your children. Take a really good look at the placement chart and see where they both would fit and then if you are trying to combine see which one would be most flexible in covering them at their level. Some people that combine at your level will use Beyond just for LA and Math with the younger and then do the Bigger program together so you get the feel and ease of one program while accommodating the needs of both. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 am

You've already gotten awesome advice here - I'm finding myself nodding in agreement with all that has been written so far. So, for now, I'll just wave "hello" to you here, and keep on posting any questions you have. Moms are great about brainstorming together here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:32 pm

Lisa,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you! The ladies have been wonderful about answering your questions! We are blessed with many ladies on the board with a servant's heart for the Lord. :D

We're glad to have you here! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie