storytime/extension scenarios

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
learning_is_fun

storytime/extension scenarios

Post by learning_is_fun » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Well, we are still trying to finish this year up, and have a ways to go, but I am already excitedly looking at next years stuff, trying to come up with a workable plan for us.
We have very much enjoyed Preparing and RTR this year, but we have very busy schedules and have gotten way behind. We're trying to play catch-up now, which I know is not recommended, but I don't want to keep getting further behind since my kiddos are on the older end of the guides anyhow. So, trying to figure out how to simplify a little for next year. I have been praying about what to give up (co-op class, music lessons, HOD curriculum, etc.) to simplify for next year, and I just can't seem to give any of it up. We love HOD, and also love our homeschool group, and there's no way they are giving up music right now. This year, I started out reading both read-alouds to both my kids (which we love, but is way too time consuming with everything else.) That didn't last long, and we ended up putting of read-alouds almost completely. (I'm planning on trying to get through them this summer, although it won't be the same as doing them alongside the regular history readings.) We also started out with both boys reading the extensions in addition (without the extra assignments to go with), but that also dropped off. (I'm going to encourage finishing those off as fun extra summer reading, also.) So now I know that plan is not going to work out for us again. :? I went ahead and ordered next years curriculum without the extensions (I can always add those later if I need to.) I've been thinking about doing just one read-aloud, and letting the other read them on his own. If I do that, would I do the CTC outloud, and have them both participate in the storytime activities (my oldest hasn't done CTC, so I don't think it would hurt)? And then if my older son (who'll be in Rev to Rev) does his reading on his own, can he use the regular storytime books, or would it be better for him to read the extension (he'll be in 8th grade, and my CTC boy will be in 6th)? And, if he does do the storytime reading on his own, does he go ahead and meet with me to do the activities for that? And what about if he does the extension instead?
Oh, it's going to be so hard not to read both out loud, but I just can't seem to figure out how to fit it all in! Any other ideas?
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

8arrows

Re: storytime/extension scenarios

Post by 8arrows » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes, you can read the CTC to both and do the storytime box questions. As for the 8th grader, technically that child may be in the age range for the extensions. However, since you are having trouble getting everything in anyway and didn't order them, I might just stick with the basic set. He would discuss the storybox with you when you met together, but he could read them on his own. It is hard to fit in everything we want to do!!!!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

learning_is_fun

Re: storytime/extension scenarios

Post by learning_is_fun » Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Melissa, Thank you so much! That's what I was thinking, but just needed some reassurance that that would work.
I noticed that you combine, and have been wishing that I had combined mine (although then we would have missed out on the wonderful Preparing program). I think for us, with our busy schedule (and me getting easily overwhelmed with too many things :)), that would have been the better plan. I tried to talk my younger son into moving up, and I'd modify and help him with the skills he missed, but he is pretty set on doing CTC (which I hate to miss anyhow). I may do more thinking and praying on what would work best for us, but since I already ordered most of what we need for the 2 programs :), we'll most likely just stick with that plan. I could get ambitious and try to do both read-alouds, and add in the extensions again, but I should probably just keep it as simple as possible.
Thanks again for your help!
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC