Do I need a vocabulary book?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
miracleone

Do I need a vocabulary book?

Post by miracleone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

We're about to start with CtC for 5th grade. Do I need to purchase a separate vocabulary workbook? If so, what do you suggest? Thank you!

miracleone

Re: Do I need a vocabulary book?

Post by miracleone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 pm

I would appreciate it if someone can answer my question. I don't have a current vocabulary book with my daughter. Does anyone use something in conjunction with CtC?

Thankyou!

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 pm

It is my understanding that vocabulary is already covered in CtC and that there is no need to add something else. If you are also using the Drawn Into the Heart of Reading program, there is some vocabulary covered in that as well.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44 pm

We've really enjoyed the way that HOD has helped teach vocabulary. :D The students are taught to find the unknown word in the text, guess the meaning from the context, find it in the dictionary, write the definition, use it in a sentence, draw a picture to illustrate it, and alphabetize it with others from the year. :wink: I know that this process is started in Bigger Hearts and carries on from there. For the 1st couple years, the words selected are from the history reading, and I think that in CTC the vocabulary process moves to words in the science readings. We've never added anything to the way HOD teaches it.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

miracleone

Post by miracleone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 am

What do I need to teach root words? Thank you.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm

R & S English teaches root words. This in conjunction with DITHOR, as well as all of the history-related and science related vocabulary, and all of this works together to give a very balanced way to approach vocabulary. Because my ds had to use these words in his own written narrations, he retained them very well - so much better than an isolated worksheet of vocab words. You can always add a vocab study on the fifth day if you want to, but we have found doing vocabulary the way HOD does alongside thematic learning and excellent living books helps the words actually 'stick', and is much more meaningful than a workbook could ever hope to be. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie