How do you teach a SM lesson in 3A and higher?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

How do you teach a SM lesson in 3A and higher?

Post by abrightmom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:25 pm

I understand why HOD chooses not to use HIGs and their reasons provide food for thought. How do you present a lesson in the higher levels of Singapore? How do you KNOW if you are being thorough in your presentation? Do you work the textbook lessons on paper and then follow up with the workbook portion? Does anybody use the IP or CWP books? Are you CONFIDENT that your student is "getting it"? In all honesty it doesn't seem like enough practice to master the concepts.... I am seriously afraid to try and lose ground with our current program but the conciseness appeals to me. Do you, as a teaching Mom, understand what your student is learning? Do you feel confident teaching Singapore from grade 3 on up?
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

HappyMama

Re: How do you teach a SM lesson in 3A and higher?

Post by HappyMama » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:20 pm

We're doing 3A and 3B this year and right now we're at the tail end of 3A. I didn't buy the HIG's and honestly I wish I had. There have been several lessons, especially the ones with long division, where I really needed some extra help. I decided to buy the HIG for 3B just to have on hand when I get "stuck". I've been fine without the HIG's for the most part up until now, but things are getting harder and I'm finding Singapore harder and harder to teach without the HIG's.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:09 pm

I just go through the lesson in the textbook. Usually that just means following along with the examples in the text. I make sure to point out the pictures and try to go through it step by step like it is presented. If my dc have any questions about it which is not often, we might work a problem or two on the whiteboard or whip out some pertinent manipulatives. Then they do the workbook exercises. I have felt like there are more than enough practice exercises. My dc have even been voicing their dislike for the amount of review this year. :wink: We just finished up 4B and started 5A. Each concept seems to continue to build throughout the levels. So a concept is presented using smaller numbers then eventually they are doing the same thing with larger numbers. For instance they learn how to multiply single digit numbers then later they learn how to do double digit numbers, etc. I have felt comfortable with the way the material has been presented and feel my dc are getting it just using the textbooks and workbooks. I did buy the HIG for 3A, but found I wasn't using it so I haven't gotten any more HIGs. I am more of a mathy person though so that might make a difference. I have one dc that is a mathy like myself and one that isn't, and it seems to work equally well with both of them. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Wyatt is starting 6A in a few weeks, and Riley is doing 3A right now. I teach them at separate times in math, so they can each focus on their math completely. Our SM lesson format is similar to pjdobro's. I get 2 marker boards (1 for me, 1 for my ds), some dry erase markers, and a few erasers, and we sit down to the table to begin with the Textbook. I read through the problems out loud, and I point out the word bubbles and any examples given for working the problem. I use the word bubble tips and draw any visual examples as necessary on the marker board as we work through the problems together in the Textbook. One thing I have found with Singapore - nothing is wasted on the page. There are not filler graphics or words - everything on the page has a purpose, and everything should be referenced and discussed. :D

After completing the textbook together, we move to the workbook. Now my dc take over more. I remain sitting near them, and I usually have them read the first few problems out loud to me, explaining to me how they are working them out. During this time, I try to say the tips again from the textbook in a casual way, and remind them of any marker board type drawings similar to the textbook's examples that may help them as they work the problem. If they are struggling, we open the textbook back up, look at the example again, and apply to the current problem they are working. I stay near my dc's side as they do their workbook to help if any questions arise. I have not used the HIG's yet, and I feel that they are both doing very well in math. Their standardized test scores indicate they are working at an advanced math level, but I'd be very happy with average Joe scores too. :D

When it comes to working story problems, I like to remind them to think about first "what they know" and then second "what is the problem asking". The "what they know" part usually can be shown visually on a marker board or with paper/pencil somehow in the same manner it was taught in the textbook. The "what is the problem asking" part helps them notice when Singapore is giving them a problem that has several steps that need to be done to answer it. Sometimes, when they have done the first step, they think they are done. It helps to ask them what that number/answer represents (i.e. the number of girls that went to the event), and then ask them "what is the problem asking" again (i.e. What is the total number of boys and girls that attended the event?). This lets them see they did the first step, but they are not done, and a second step (or third or fourth step as they get older :wink: ) must now be done to solve the problem. :D On Reviews, I help jog their memory as needed by reminding them of any tips they may need a nudge to use. Singapore Reviews are all-encompassing and quite advanced, and being there to help jog their memories as needed helps keep them rolling along. :D

If they are continuing to struggle with a concept, I usually work a few problems on a markeboard Singapore-style with them and then just move on. The concepts come back around again and again, and often times a little growing in maturity in between times is all it takes for it to stick. One last thing I've figured out, fact memorization comes later with Singapore, but because it does, it is solidly in place forever. Our dc rarely make mistakes in computation. This "coming later" business worried me first. I tutored dc in elementary and middle school math for several years to have some source of income as I stopped teaching in ps and started teaching my own dc at home. I had eighth grade students still working on multiplication and division facts, and it scared me! How I wish those dc had been able to learn their facts the Singapore way earlier on! Math would have clicked much more easily for them, and it's tough to go back. Anyway, both Wyatt and Riley had their facts memorized later than I thought they would, but what was interesting is we never just worked on memorizing facts. It was just the continual working through of math problems, many of them word problems with multiple steps, and many of them with mental tips to visualize, that made the facts known to the dc. What's more, as I was saying, they hardly ever make errors - oh, that brings me to the last part of our lesson.

About in 3B or 4A, I begin grading assignments, but only the assignments I feel dc have had ample exposure to (not assignments that are introducing new concepts). When they have missed a problem, I circle it and hand it back to them to fix. If they did happen to make the rare computation error, they usually look at it and laugh and say, "Oh! That was a silly mistake - this should have been '42' instead of '48'!". :lol: If it is something they are still stumped on, we pull out the markerboard and work it through together using the same method and terminology as was used in previous Textbook lessons. If it is a word problem and they missed a step, I go back to asking them "what is the problem asking" and "does your answer, answer the question". This usually makes it clear the missed a step.

I'm sorry this got so long, but I am wowed by Singapore math. I was on countless Math Textbook selection committees back when I was teaching in ps - how I wish Singapore math had been a choice on the table back then - though not having taught it yet, maybe I wouldn't have recognized its potential. Anyway, I hope some of these tips can help, but the best thing I have done is followed and learned the Singapore way of doing things... and stopped shouting out my little "tips" for doing things in shortcuts... they're not helpful. Go figure - Singapore doesn't need the addition of my tips?!? :lol: Once I got out of the way, Singapore was amazing. :D

abrightmom - I just wanted to thank you for your encouraging words to me on the end of another thread that I cannot find back. I remember reading those words on a night I was a little discouraged, and they just lifted me up so much. Words have such an impact on a person's thinking and "heart" well-being - thanks for filling mine with good thoughts and a happy heart - your words came at the right time.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

We are just starting Singapore with 3B, so I did get the HIG. There's a lot of discussion and activities included in the HIG to do BEFORE the textbook part of the lesson. We don't always do them together, but it helps ME understand the lesson b/c the Singapore method is so, so very foreign to me. It also helps to have the answers to the textbook questions plus the tips they give about how to show them alternate mental math stratagies besides those in the textbook. It points our review from previous levels/lessons that you can bring up as a method in solving these new problem skills. I've found them useful, but as I said we are new to Singapore...doing 3B with my 10yo and the HIG also has game and enrichment ideas. It just has lots of things I wouldn't think of and sometimes, my math-challenged DD needs those extra tips. (and so does her math - challenged mom)

If I'd started with it from the get go, perhaps I wouldnt' need the HIG now.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 pm

We do it pretty much exactly as Julie does. I've never used the HIG and I feel my dd is doing very well in math. We have been using Singapore since 1B, I believe.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:04 pm

I just wanted to pop-in and agree that at our house we teach the Singapore lessons very much the way my3son's shared. :D We are currently in 6B with my second oldest son, in 2B with my third oldest, and in Earlybird K with my youngest. With these three kiddos, we've only used Singapore for math. In coming up through using Singapore, I've found that just teaching through the HOD lessons in Earlybird K through 2B, and in the levels from 3A on up teaching through the Singapore textbook examples, has been just enough instruction to lead well into the workbook lesson. :D I also stay close to my kiddos while they do their work, even the workbook lessons, helping as much as needed. :D

It has actually been a blessing for me to use the Singpore Textbook as my teaching instruction and the workbook as the follow-up. This is because this method keeps the number of problems manageable, keeps us focused on just a few textbook examples that we must really ponder through to understand and then apply, and keeps me from getting bogged down with a big formal lesson presentation. Instead, this combination allows me to partner with my kiddos as we work through the examples and apply the strategies. With a manageable number of problems each day, there is no need to skip anything, and we keep the focus on the Singapore way of doing things right from the examples they have written into their textbooks and workbooks. :wink: My kiddos are not all necessarily "mathy", but all of my kiddoes with whom we've used this method have excelled with Singapore so far. :D

I also have been able to stay with my kiddos better for their math time, as it isn't so overwhelming in its scope or time commitment for me! We have tried so many of the math programs out there that are heavy on teacher presentation with my oldest son. This is why to me Singapore is a breath of fresh air. :wink: Less presentation and more partnering with my kiddos, makes for a happier math experience for us here! :D This is why we shy away from the HIG, written by Sonlight, and the Teacher's Guides, written here in the U.S. for the public school classroom. Neither of these were a part of what made the original Singapore program great. So, we stick to the basics of the Singapore program and have found terrific results with our kiddos standardized tests, but even better results with their mathematical thinking. :D I realize each family must choose what works best for their own family,but I did want to share that we have successfully used the Singapore program through 6B without any of the U.S. written extras. For us more is not always better, but it is sometimes just more. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I have a piggyback question. What Julie and Carrie have shared is like a breath of fresh air, as far as math instruction and manageable lessons. I like the idea of shorter lessons, as we currently take at least an hour a day on math with the program we're using as our core. My worry is that I've always heard that students in Singapore don't just use the textbook and workbook, but rather spend considerable time outside of class on extra drill and supplementation, sometimes even through the evening. It makes me wonder if it's the "Singapore way" as found in the TB/WB or is it the sheer amount of time they spend on math that has contributed to their high TIMSS scores. I also wonder how the IP and CWP fit into this. Are these books that are regularly used by Singapore students? I'm very drawn to the simplicity of Singapore, but I've always been nervous to plunge in and use it as our core program without using any other supplementation that is might be used in Singapore schools.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 am

daybreaking wrote:I have a piggyback question. What Julie and Carrie have shared is like a breath of fresh air, as far as math instruction and manageable lessons. I like the idea of shorter lessons, as we currently take at least an hour a day on math with the program we're using as our core. My worry is that I've always heard that students in Singapore don't just use the textbook and workbook, but rather spend considerable time outside of class on extra drill and supplementation, sometimes even through the evening. It makes me wonder if it's the "Singapore way" as found in the TB/WB or is it the sheer amount of time they spend on math that has contributed to their high TIMSS scores. I also wonder how the IP and CWP fit into this. Are these books that are regularly used by Singapore students? I'm very drawn to the simplicity of Singapore, but I've always been nervous to plunge in and use it as our core program without using any other supplementation that is might be used in Singapore schools.
Just bumping this up. I thought I'd try again to see if I could get any feedback on this. Thanks! :)

ds21 & dd17

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 pm

daybreaking wrote:I have a piggyback question. What Julie and Carrie have shared is like a breath of fresh air, as far as math instruction and manageable lessons. I like the idea of shorter lessons, as we currently take at least an hour a day on math with the program we're using as our core. My worry is that I've always heard that students in Singapore don't just use the textbook and workbook, but rather spend considerable time outside of class on extra drill and supplementation, sometimes even through the evening. It makes me wonder if it's the "Singapore way" as found in the TB/WB or is it the sheer amount of time they spend on math that has contributed to their high TIMSS scores. I also wonder how the IP and CWP fit into this. Are these books that are regularly used by Singapore students? I'm very drawn to the simplicity of Singapore, but I've always been nervous to plunge in and use it as our core program without using any other supplementation that is might be used in Singapore schools.
What are IP and CWP? I've never heard of these. We don't do extra outside of the textbook/workbook in Singapore. In the early books we used the hands on that Carrie schedules. We do play math games occasionally, but we don't do extra drill or practice. Math takes 30-45 minutes per day tops. Both of my dc have scored way above average the last couple of years in their standardized tests. In our experience, the program is great the way it is written and scheduled in the HOD guides. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 pm

pjdobro wrote:
What are IP and CWP? I've never heard of these. We don't do extra outside of the textbook/workbook in Singapore. In the early books we used the hands on that Carrie schedules. We do play math games occasionally, but we don't do extra drill or practice. Math takes 30-45 minutes per day tops. Both of my dc have scored way above average the last couple of years in their standardized tests. In our experience, the program is great the way it is written and scheduled in the HOD guides. :D
IP = Intensive Practice
CWP = Challenging Word Problems

They are both workbooks put out by Singapore to be used as supplements to their primary math program. I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that they are used in Singapore schools, along with the regular textbook and workbook. I'd love to know if I am mistaken on this.

ds21 & dd17

Daph

Post by Daph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Sarah, we had the same problems with SM 3A and 3B. I'm not a very Mathematically-minded person. We've switched, but I'm still struggling to teach the concepts. I've found that Khan Academy is a great, great supplement. I'm considering going back to Singapore next year and using Khan to teach. It's a free website: khanacademy.org. For the last couple of days, I've just been typing in the Math concept that dd needs to learn and letting her watch the videos. I thought they were very well taught, even better than TT or Dive into Math cds. (Can you tell I've done a lot of switching? Sheesh.)
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:24 pm

daybreaking,

The IP and CWP books are not part of the original Singapore Primary Mathematics program. This is why we do not choose to include them as part of the Singapore Primary Mathematics program scheduled within the HOD guides. :D I've pasted the description of these books from the FAQ portion of the Singapore Primary Mathematics website below:

Where can I find more practice exercises?

We have supplementary books for Primary 1-6 that provide ample practice exercises (answers provided). The supplementary books are not components of the Primary Mathematics series - they are simply books from Singapore that provide additional practice. The US Editions of supplementary books follow the same sequence as the units in the Primary Mathematics US edition. The other books are generic and often add to the content of Primary Mathematics. All of them can be used with any of the editions of Primary Mathematics with caution for the sequence of topics.  The US Editions have additional content on US standard measurement. Please see the faq on the supplements for more information.

Blessings,
Carrie

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks, Carrie, for taking time to clarify! :)

ds21 & dd17