Newbie with a ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

Newbie with a ?

Post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Ladies, I'm Linda mom of ds 9yr, dd 8yr, ds 7yr, ds 6yr, ds 5 yr & ds 3.5yrs. We have been homeschooling from the beginning and as much as we enjoy it, it has it's days :roll:

I recognize some you from other forums :wink:

My question is about Draw into the Heart of Reading. I have a 9 yr. old soon to be 10yr old struggling reader & an 8.8yr old good reader.

My 9yr old is currently using Sonlight Language Art's 3 readers. He just finished "Riding the Pony Express"

Would I start them both in 2/3 or 4/5?

Is this a complete reading program if you are not using HOD programs? Does it have writing?

In the Fall my kiddos will use either Bob Jones Reading or Rod & Staff (still deciding :? ) would it be too much to add in DITHOR too?

Any information will be helpful :D

Thank you,
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm

LINDA!?!? I am SO glad you are here! The only question I can answer is that you can use DITHOR without using HOD! We are loving our HOD switch, but I miss all my old friends..., (((Big Hugs)))

Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi Mary, thanks for your warm welcome. We miss you!!! You are a wealth of information & encouragement.

I'm looking forward to using DITHOR with my kiddos. I'm almost certain that we wil use it this coming year.

Blessings,
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 pm

does it have writing as in handwriting/ grammar? I'd say no..

does it have plenty of written work to do, expounding characters and Godly character traits yes. Does it teach you how to write a sentence no.

I've only used it for 2/3. And I would recommend starting there. We have used it with lvl 3-4 books -early reader library shelf- with success. She gives you plenty of days to work on phonics practice or vocabulary. It can be used with one long chapter book like boxcar children or 5 really short Ameila Bedial type. Or a short book and a medium sized book.

You could give your struggling reader lots of practice with "just below" reading lvl and let him gain confidence.

Also we use DITHOR every other month we take month off so reading is pure pleasure and not "work" per say. So you could use lvl 2/3 for the next 2 years and then 4/5 the following 2 years .. just remember to mark the genres you used so (your not like me) your not reading lots of historical fiction...

hope that helps ..
also ROD and staff language arts is scheduled into HOD
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Re: Newbie with a ?

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:

Is this a complete reading program if you are not using HOD programs? Does it have writing?

In the Fall my kiddos will use either Bob Jones Reading or Rod & Staff (still deciding :? ) would it be too much to add in DITHOR too?

Any information will be helpful :D

Thank you,
Hi Linda! It's nice to meet you! I've used DITHOR for multiple years, even prior to homeschooling my own children. I've seen the success of it long-term, and I'm 100% confident that it would work well for you. As far as levels, I'd begin both of the children that you mentioned in Level 2/3. If children have not had experience with DITHOR before, it's best not to start with 4/5, even if they're older. I'd do both of them in 2/3 for a year, then keep your younger in 2/3 another year, and bump your older up to 4/5 the next year. Be sure to use different reading books with them though, that fit their reading level. We've used the book packs on this site and loved those; we've also picked our own books using the Sample Book Ideas list and enjoyed that too. (Note: HOD gives families permission to photocopy the Student Books for your family's use as well, so that's a nice option to use.)

You can start with any genre, and it's better to error on the side of picking a book slightly below the child's reading level rather than above it. We do DITHOR 3 x a week now, moving through 1/2 the genres one year, and the other 1/2 of the genres the next year. We did originally do it 5 days a week, moving through all of the genres twice before switching levels, and liked it that was as well. Right now, I prefer the 3 x a week, since I'm busy with our baby and some of his health issues.

It is a complete reading program - teaching so many skills and yet keeping the love of reading alive. Children read from every genre, learn story elements, vocabulary, prereading skills, comprehension skills, analyzing skills, character traits, etc. - and yet it's done in bite-sized pieces in a rotating way, making it easy and enjoyable to complete. DITHOR is not a writing program. HOD has suggestions if you wish to add writing to it at this link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into ... ations.php

As far as adding it to Bob Jones or R & S next year - I'm not as familiar with those, although we've used R & S English 2 this year scheduled in Bigger Hearts for His Glory and loved that. If that's what you're looking at, that's definitely doable. If you're talking about a full-fledged reading program, I would either stagger it with DITHOR, doing DITHOR 3 days a week and the other program 2 days a week and then switching the next week - or just use DITHOR. If you're talking about a writing program, that would work fine with DITHOR.

HTH! Can't say enough good things about DITHOR - if you have other questions, or this doesn't answer the questions you had, please post again!!! I'm sure others will respond here as well. Glad to meet you - and glad you are here!

In Christ,
Julie

Enjoyed LHTH to USII
    Currently using USI
    Wife to Rich for 28 years
    Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
    Sister to Carrie

6timeboymom

Re: Newbie with a ?

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:My question is about Draw into the Heart of Reading. I have a 9 yr. old soon to be 10yr old struggling reader & an 8.8yr old good reader.

My 9yr old is currently using Sonlight Language Art's 3 readers. He just finished "Riding the Pony Express"

We have used DITHOR for about 7 years now, and we love it! You add all language arts to it that you want; it's JUST reading. I like it that way; I can pick what books they read, I can adjust the levels, and I spent the money only once for all my boys! It's extremely flexible for ALL levels of learning and ALL learning styles.
    I would put them both into 2/3 myself. Let the reading level of the book determine the difficulty, kwim? My 12 yr old struggling reader does the 4/5 level just this year. His struggle is in comprehension; so we use shorter chapter books with easier reading level. He also is allergic to his pencil, so we used the 2/3 book for a long time so he felt successful at completing his work. I would think the rod and staff would be the perfect addition to the reading program to round out the full "language arts" program. I personally use the Queen workbooks, becuase we like the CM style and the short lessons (well, to be clear, the BOYS like the short lessons...:lol:)
    Have fun!! It's an amazing program and we have loved every minute of using it!
    Darci
    mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
    using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Thank you ladies very much. You all were very helpful.

I plan on using Rod & Staff English 4 with my then 5th grader and I think I'm going to go ahead and use DITHOR with him as his only reading program. I was planning on using Bob Jones Reading 4 but then I came across DITHOR and it looks to be more of what he needs :D What HOD program has R&S English 4 scheduled in it?

As for my dd I'm still not sure. I have already purchased Bob Jones Reading 3 so I will see how it goes with combining.

Regarding the student workbooks for DITHOR; how many pages is it. Is it easy to copy? If I don't copy the student's book will it be too cumbersome to have the child write directly in the book.

I would prefer to purchase one per students because by the time I'm done copying all the pages needed it practically cost the same or more IMHO.

Again any info on the student workbooks would be appreciated.

Blessings,
    Linda
    ds16~WG and now WH
    ds.10 ~ Preparing

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 pm

I can copy things at work for free, so I never think about the cost of copies! :-) It is very easy to copy, but would be easy to use as a write in book if you wanted to. But remeber you can use the smae workbook for several levels, so you might kick yourself if you end up buying the same workbook next year-kwim? I know I would! :lol:
    the new "Preparing..." is the one that has the R&S level 4 in it.
    Darci
    mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
    using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carrie
    Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Linda,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the boards! We're glad you're here. :D

The ladies did a wonderful job of answering your questions. I think your plan sounds good.

As to your remaining questions, Rod and Staff 4 is scheduled in "Preparing Hearts for His Glory".

Both the Level 2/3 and 4/5 Student Books are easy to store and not cumbersome. The kiddos don't struggle to write in or to carry them from place to place at our house. :wink:

Ask away if you have other questions. We're glad to help!

Blessings,
    Carrie