Scripture Memory - preferred version?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alydar

Scripture Memory - preferred version?

Post by alydar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Just wondering which translation you prefer to do scripture memory with. :D Last year with DS (then 6) I was using the KJV. This year I've gone to the ESV but in a way I miss the poetic flow of the KJV. :D I've heard in other circles that reading the KJV prepares young minds for reading rich literature like Shakespeare later. Seems to make sense. Thoughts? :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

lharris

Re: Scripture Memory - preferred version?

Post by lharris » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:04 pm

alydar wrote:Just wondering which translation you prefer to do scripture memory with. :D Last year with DS (then 6) I was using the KJV. This year I've gone to the ESV but in a way I miss the poetic flow of the KJV. :D I've heard in other circles that reading the KJV prepares young minds for reading rich literature like Shakespeare later. Seems to make sense. Thoughts? :D
That is exactly right! I usually tell parents this because its true - you want the child to hear old language. Another option for the memory verse is the NKJV which I love too! This one is my daughter's favorite. However, my 3rd grader reads aloud from the Bible on HOD's 5th day in Bigger and I like the NIrV version for that purpose. Memory verses can be done in more than one translation. But you can always switch off depending on how difficult the verse is in the KJV. When my child is reading the Bible himself and is building his reading skills, I like the younger version for that with the hopes of easing him into NIV/NASB by 5th grade and KJV reading on his own by jr. high or similar benchmark. I just want him to be comfortable with the KJV. I teach a women's class and you would think I'm asking them to fly to the moon by suggesting they read KJV. I've enjoyed reading from the Good News Bible, New Living Translation, some NIV. The translation battle is not worth the obvious anxiety attacks they seem to have. :) I just want His lambs to read!! Have a blessed year,
Laura
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:03 pm

We have done all memory work with our boys from the NKJV from the very beginning. I grew up with the KJV and whatever you begin with seems to stick with you. Our boys are young (4 1/2 & 6) and they are memorizing many memory verses in addition to HOD with ease.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

VAmomto4

Post by VAmomto4 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Even my 3 yr old memorizes from the KJV! :D
2011-2012 School Year:
DD 2nd-Bigger
DS K- LHFHG
DD LHTH
...DS1 (eating books mentioned above :))

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

KJV :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Tmisek

Post by Tmisek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm

I think any version you are comfortable with is good. :D My kids are using the NIV for memorization because they seem to undertand it a little easier. For the past 20+ years I myself have used the NIV, but a little over a year ago felt led to switch to the ESV (and love it). I am now re-memorizing Scripture in a new version, and it is still beautiful, wonderful Scripture...with a little different flavor! God's Word is "living and active" (Hebrews 4:12) and if our children can develop a love for it and hide it in their hearts, I think God will take it from there! :D

God Bless!
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

Mom of Three

Post by Mom of Three » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 am

I want my kids to read the KJV when they are teens, but for now I want them to know that God does not speak in some far off old fashioned tone. I want them to know that scripture is relevant to their daily lives and in their daily language. So we're going to use the Holman version.
2 daughters in Beyond Little Hearts and CLE Math

1 daughter in Creation to Christ and Teaching Textbooks Math

mater est laetus

Post by mater est laetus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

I honestly read from whatever version is handy. For getting familiar with KJV language I play the KJV audio Bible for them. For memory verses I've been using whatever version is used in the music CD with LHfHG. It seems like it is usually NKJV but at least one so far has been from the old NIV. The music has been such a pleasant aid to memorization and we enjoy taking full benefit from it.

vjj4

Post by vjj4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 pm

For what it's worth this is what we do. I go to Bible.com and type in the memory verse and hit look up in several versions, then I list my three or four favorites and see which I like best for that verse. I did this for Beyond too and it worked out really good. I make the print large :wink: and for Beyond I laminated each week. For Bigger, I am keeping each week's in our binder under bible tab.
Helpmeet to my husband for almost 22 years
DD 27 - Private school through gr 2, then homeschooled SOS, now a single mom
DS 17 - Always homeschooled - Beyond/Bigger/Preparing & SOS

GS Almost 4 - About to begin HOD

Deut. 11:19
Is. 40:11

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 pm

I use NASB with my older 2 and now with my ds doing LHFHG I use whatever version the accompaning CD is using! :D I think I have become less picky and am now focusing on the "why" behind the memorizing :wink: If they can actually do "children obey your parents in the Lord" I dont care what version it's memorized in!!! :lol:
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:55 pm

For scripture memory in HOD we use whatever version the CD that comes with the guide uses. I prefer KJV because I think it's prettier but we find the CDs so helpful to aid in scripture memory that we use them. The kids read the scripture and then listen to the song without reading along. (some words are held in long notes and some phrases are repeated) If I were doing a guide that didn't have a CD to go with it I would probably use KJV. If my kids were struggling with the wording on a particular verse I would then switch to NKJV. Hope that helps. :D
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation