We started Preparing today!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovetobehome

We started Preparing today!

Post by lovetobehome » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 am

Just finished our first day of Preparing! Last year was rough, and I am really, really trying to make things better this year. We followed the guide, it was hard for her, and I had moments of thinking maybe we should go back and do Bigger, but I am hopeful that after a couple of weeks, she will get the hang of things. She is 9 (turned 9 in July) and has more trouble with school than her brother. I do own Bigger and will keep it, in case I need to go back, but hoping she will get up to speed with a little time. We did Week 1 back in the spring, testing it out, so I started with Week 2 Day 1 today. She loved the Bible cd, and the History Project (warm/cool colors collage). She had a hard time writing in cursive.
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

6timeboymom

Re: We started Preparing today!

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 am

good luck!!! :)
we are starting Preparing in august with my 11 and 13 year olds with the extensions for the 13 year old. :) they finished bigger last year.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

I am a little worried she won't be able to keep up....how did Bigger go last year with yours?
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm sure she will get used to it and find her rhythm! One thought: what about taking Preparing half-speed, eventually working up to full-speed when you think she is ready? I would have her do LA, Math, and whatever reading program you are doing everyday, but other than that, maybe split the other boxes up?
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:20 pm

We started our school year with Preparing with my 2 dss today as well. (They are in third and fourth grade this year) It went sort of as I expected the first day might go - very similar to your experience full of ups and downs. :| So many things were "new" for them and so extra explaining and patience was needed as I dealt with some of their frustrations....which mostly were because of drawing a map (yes, I have a perfectionist), and because of a lot of cursive writing at one point. I also started with level 3 for dictation for my youngest and quickly discovered that he needs level 2 instead. My other ds is doing level 4 and seems to be fine with it. The younger really likes "art" things, the other doesn't. So in doing the "coat of arms" history project the older started complaining, but I reminded him that he needed to do it regardless because we all learn differently and there will be parts of school he likes, and other parts he doesn't. So he actually surprised me and did a nice job. My younger finished with, "I think I'm going to like this part of school." (We didn't do the DITHOR part today. - but the actual time of "doing" school minus the breaks only took 2 hours and 45 minutes.)

I have some shuffling around to do with schedule. I have a 4 year old dd (who has sensory issues) and is doing LHTH. She absolutely loves it. I tweaked our schedule a lot...before we even got started. But in actually walking through it, see some more areas to change. Simple things like doing two different levels of dictation at one time might need to be changed to two different times....I'm not sure yet. :?

I also want to give them some more "breaks" of 5 or 10 minutes. Am thinking of using a kid's exercise video that is broken up in 5 and 10 minute sections just as part of our school day to get the ants out of their pants. As it was today, I gave them one long 20 minute break, and then at another point, my older asperger's child needed to get some energy spent, so sent him running down our long lane with 2 letters to put in our mailbox which helped him then to focus for the rest of our time. I'm fairly new to homeschooling and with 2 special needs children, (my oldest son and only daughter), it's taking some learning. But by God's grace and enabling we'll tackle this and make it through. One day at a time. All in all, a positive encouraging day. I'm hoping/praying like you, that once they have a few weeks under their belt, learning will be something they look forward to and not be frustrated by it. :) It will be interesting to see how our kiddos are doing a few weeks from now.
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Day 3 today, and I am really, really pleased with how things are going. I can see now why the Lord kept leading me to do this with my daughter. I can see her heart softening....she is doing great with the workload, too. I am so proud of her! Preparing is awesome. THANK YOU.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 pm

We finished our first week of Preparing today. It's been a journey...that's for sure. Full of learning in new ways for my boys, some frustrations, but mostly joys. My oldest child has said several times this week, "I think I'm really going to like doing school using this book". (referring to the lesson plan book) Yeah! Trusting we all will.
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 am

It's so wonderful to hear of your success with your first days of Preparing. We've had a really busy summer here, and I haven't had much of a chance at all to look at or even think about our upcoming year with Preparing. It's encouraging me and getting me excited to start our year when reading about your first days. Thank you! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:41 am

lovetobehome wrote:Day 3 today, and I am really, really pleased with how things are going. I can see now why the Lord kept leading me to do this with my daughter. I can see her heart softening....she is doing great with the workload, too. I am so proud of her! Preparing is awesome. THANK YOU.
I love reading posts like this. It's so neat to see our kiddos growing. The Lord guides us through some valleys for sure. Sometimes it's hard to know if we are really going the right direction, but then He gives us those sweet glimpses of the fruit of our obedience to help keep us going!

It sounds like Preparing is going to be a good fit. We also started our HOD journey with my oldest in Preparing. It was a transition (we came from a more "traditional" background), but after just a few weeks, it was smooth sailing. (Except for those pre-teen hormones :roll: ).

Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 pm

This is great to read, Meg! :D I'm so happy dd is growing into PHFHG - and already - she's doing great!!! I have been hoping this year would be a good start for you, and it looks like the Lord has answered that prayer. Thank you for sharing an update here! :D

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 am

how did the rest of the week go? :D
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:14 am

Great! We did 4 days...but Friday I had a major back injury and I am in a great deal of pain. We are starting again today...beginning RtR with my son, while my DD has teaching time with the littlest. Will report in later in the day!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 am

I'm glad to hear PHFHG is going well, but I have prayed for your back to feel better - so sorry to hear about your injury, Meg!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie