Preparing Question/Clarification Needed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faithful2him

Preparing Question/Clarification Needed

Post by faithful2him » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I am going to start in the next week or so, Preparing with my oldest. He is 11 and this is our first year doing HOD and our second year homeschooling overall. :) I am so excited as I look over and prepare, but I have a question.

Since he is 11 we are doing the Extension pack. Now, is the extension pack (for example, Uncovering the Mysterious Wooly Mammoth, The Bronze Bow, etc.) where the Independent History Study section in the guide? I mean, I think I still follow the Storytime box and use the books listed there, but I think the extension pack is the Independent History Study box.

Of course, I could be way off. Please help.....

Thanks.

Blessings.

Deb
Wife for 17 years to a Godly man
Mom of 3 wonderful blessings
Preparing with Extensions (11 year old son)
Beyond 7 1/2 year old son)
Little Hands to Heaven (4 year old daughter)

cirons

Re: Preparing Question/Clarification Needed

Post by cirons » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Deb,

I am doing Preparing with my dd as is at the moment, and the Independent History Box is part of the Preparing program WITHOUT extensions. I have not used extensions, but I believe the extensions are scheduled in the appendix at the back of the guide for the extra reading required.

HTH,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:43 pm

I havent' done Preparing. But typically the Extension Packages are scheduled in the Appendix.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

faithful2him

Post by faithful2him » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks, still a little confused though. SO, the extension packs....they are sort of like their own box then? Or do they replace something that is already in a box. That's my confusion.

Deb
Wife for 17 years to a Godly man
Mom of 3 wonderful blessings
Preparing with Extensions (11 year old son)
Beyond 7 1/2 year old son)
Little Hands to Heaven (4 year old daughter)

dawntx

Post by dawntx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Hey, Deb!

If I understand correctly, you schedule the "extension package" to do above and beyond the regularly scheduled assignments/boxes. You do all the boxes as planned and then to extend learning for your older child you refer to the schedule listed in the appendix and give them the "extra" assignment. HTH!

I just finished Preparing with my 11ds-- we absolutely loved it!!! Hope your year is as wonderful as ours was!

Dawn :D
We have used LHFHG<BLHFHG>BHFHG>PHFHG>CTC>RTR>Rev/Rev
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:50 pm

We have done Bigger with Extensions. Yes the Extensions are extra assignments. They do not replace anything. They would be their own box. We went through the plans each day and checked off each box, then flipped to the appendix and did the extension reading and checked it off. The children read the extension books on their own and then you can follow the directions for the extension section to have them narrate back orally, in writing, or in pictures.

Does that answer your questions? :wink:
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:07 pm

The "Independent History Box" of plans uses the "Self-Study Deluxe History Package: For the Newly Independent Reader" of books...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/preparing- ... php#puzzle
All of the assignments in this box go with these books.

The "Extension Package" is a package of books that has a schedule in the Appendix. It lists the Unit #, Day #, to go along with the daily plans' theme. An optional rotation of follow-up activities are listed in the Appendix.

Many dc that are 11 or 12 yo doing PHFHG do both the "Self-Study Deluxe"/Independent History Box" and the "Extension Package"/Follow-up activities". :D If dc are ages 11 or 12 but unable to handle the level of reading required in the Extension Package, then they don't do it, but instead just do the daily plans. The parent is not intended to read the extensions aloud, but rather they are meant to be read by the student. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie