Extensions in RtR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holdinon

Extensions in RtR

Post by holdinon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

First of all, I am happy to be back on the board. I had to be off for a period of time. Actually, I have still been around, just not as a registered user. But I'm back now and looking forward to being able to participate in the conversation once again :D .

I just placed my order for RtR for my oldest (will be 7th grade). We debated back and forth on whether or not to do the extensions. She did all of them with Preparing, and some of them with CtC. Sometimes doing the extensions was just a tad bit much with CtC for her. (She had no problems at all in Preparing). She ended up doing about half of them with CtC. She is on the borderline as far as needing extensions. I have decided that I am not going to require the extensions, but would like to make at least a few of them available to her, as she does enjoy reading--and she is particularly looking forward to this time period.

My question is: Of the books listed, are some of them easier reads than others? I was thinking I will get somewhere between 3 and 5 of them. She read the descriptions and the ones she was most interested in were From Bondage to Freedom, Voyage to Freedom, and Robert Boyle. Would you say these would be appropriate choices for a "borderline" extension student. Would you choose others?

Thanks for any input!
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

my3sons

Re: Extensions in RtR

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am

holdinon wrote:First of all, I am happy to be back on the board. I had to be off for a period of time. Actually, I have still been around, just not as a registered user. But I'm back now and looking forward to being able to participate in the conversation once again :D .

I just placed my order for RtR for my oldest (will be 7th grade). We debated back and forth on whether or not to do the extensions. She did all of them with Preparing, and some of them with CtC. Sometimes doing the extensions was just a tad bit much with CtC for her. (She had no problems at all in Preparing). She ended up doing about half of them with CtC. She is on the borderline as far as needing extensions. I have decided that I am not going to require the extensions, but would like to make at least a few of them available to her, as she does enjoy reading--and she is particularly looking forward to this time period.

My question is: Of the books listed, are some of them easier reads than others? I was thinking I will get somewhere between 3 and 5 of them. She read the descriptions and the ones she was most interested in were From Bondage to Freedom, Voyage to Freedom, and Robert Boyle. Would you say these would be appropriate choices for a "borderline" extension student. Would you choose others?

Thanks for any input!
Angie
Hi Angie! I think of the books you mentioned "Bondage to Freedom" is the hardest. However, my ds just read that one (this summer, for fun), and loved it! Wyatt just popped in the room and said, "The Boy Knight", "Robin Hood", and "The King's Fifth" were excellent and easier books to read as well. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holdinon

Re: Extensions in RtR

Post by holdinon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Just what we needed to know! Thanks, Julie!

Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)