Reading Made Easy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
flydena

Reading Made Easy

Post by flydena » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 am

For those of you that have used Reading Made Easy, could you please tell me about it? I think that I like the idea of it, and how it's laid out, but I've only taught one of my children to read thus far, and it was several years ago. :? Now I have my youngest getting near the time to begin a phonics program :D and I don't want to use what I did before. What I used before was very textbookish :| and now that I know about the CM Methodology, I just don't think I can teach phonics that way again. Reading Made Easy looks very CM friendly, which is one reason it's drawing me. :D

I also would love to hear from anyone that has used the Workbook CD that you can purchase to go along with the book. I guess it is a sort of notebook that the child puts together that has review and fun worksheets that include copywork and such. I'm just wondering if it is beneficial to purchase the Workbook pages in addition to the program. Sounds neat, but just would love to hear from someone who's used it! :D

Thanks!
Dena Johns
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!

countrymom

Re: Reading Made Easy

Post by countrymom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 am

Here is a post where Carrie compares RME with TRL. Maybe that will help. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3931#p29197
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:55 am

I have used both RME and TRL (actually I am currently using TRL so I haven't used it all the way through).

RME was good. It worked. I didn't love it though. I felt the lessons were a little long and I must admit, I didn't enjoy making index cards almost every lesson. There is a LOT to look at on each page, between the text to parents, the dialoge for parents to read and the text for children, plus pictures and the 2 column news paper style page set up just makes each page a bit distracting in my opinion. But like I said, it WILL teach your child to read in the end and if you want all your teaching scripted for you, then this could be really helpful. I did really enjoy that it had some nice stories, especially towards the end. I didn't use the CD, so I can't comment on that. I did use some of the sample workbook pages and my dd did enjoy those. Here is a link to see a sample lesson. http://www.valeriebendt.com/ViewPdf.ash ... ons7-9.pdf

This year I have started using TRL with my ds5 and I am really liking it! The page layout is more appealing to me. It is much simpler, no distracting multiple texts and minimal text per page. The lessons are shorter and easier to get through. We are currently in lesson 4 (each "lesson" is 20 pages long and you do 2-3 pages at a time, there are 20 lessons altogether), and he is further along than my dd was this far into the RME book. I even like how it teaches the phonics sounds better and the coding better. Here is a link to see a sample lesson. http://www.readinglesson.com/pdffiles/lesn2.pdf

HTH! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 am

Another thing that TRL has that is kind of fun is certificates that you can print out after each lesson. http://www.readinglesson.com/pdffiles/certificatesl.pdf
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

flydena

Post by flydena » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 am

countrymom~

The thread you posted was VERY helpful! Thanks so much! :D I think that I am definitely leaning MORE toward Reading Made Easy. It seems more CM in style and will work better with my teaching style. I'm sure the choice is more about teaching style and learning methods than anything else, and RME seems more my style, and it seems to cover MANY learning styles. :wink:

holyhart~

I do like the idea of printing off certificates of completion...those do look fun! :D I just think I may have to use that idea, but make my own for RME.

I'd LOVE TO HEAR MORE from anyone that's used the printable workbook/notebook pages available for RME. I think I like the idea of them, and it would add a written component, which I like. :) I also read somewhere that if you use the printables that you don't need the notecards so much. Is that true? :?:

Thanks so much for all the input so far.
Dena
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!