A Couple of questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dustybug

A Couple of questions

Post by Dustybug » Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I asked these on the other HOD board, but didnt get enough responses to really answer my question, so thought I would try here too.

1.)I am thinking of doing both Singapore and Horizons math K programs with my DD
this fall. I would follow the Singapore schedule in LHFHG, but also do a lesson
of Horizons as well. Anyone else done this or used two math programs at once?
I like aspects from both programs and think they would complement each other.

2.) I happened upon a great deal at a used book store here a few weeks ago. I
got the entire CLE Language Arts 2 program(including TM) except for 2 of the LUs
for $4.00! So, could I substitute this for R &S 2 when DD gets to Bigger and
then use R&S 3 after or would switching between the programs cause us to miss
things or overlap? I just couldnt' pass up that deal!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

avbprincess

Re: A Couple of questions

Post by avbprincess » Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Okay, so all I've used so far is LHTH, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. :)

1) I personally would not want to do two quite different math programs with my DS. I would see that only as added work and increased opportunity for confusion. If you wanted to do both for only K that would probably be fine, as K math is very quick and basic. But from 1st grade and up I just wouldn't think it would be worth it. They are both strong programs, so I recommend just picking one and sticking with it. You may feel bummed about missing out on whichever program you don't choose, but as your DD thrives in the program you do choose, I'm sure you'll soon forget. :D

2) Again, this is just my opinion, but if you plan on using R&S for the rest of HOD, then I do not recommend using an entirely (and very) different grammar program for just one year. The R&S 2 text is only $15.95 on the HOD website, and you don't need the teacher's manual as there's no oral review questions for that year. I personally would pay the $16 to avoid any issues of confusion/overlap/omission. That was a great deal though!
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 17 - US2
HODers from the beginning

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm

I wouldn't recommend doing two different programs at the same time. Each math curriculum has a different way of teaching skills and different order of skills. I've used both Horizons and Singapore. I would NOT do them together. They are very different. After having many math woes and doing a number of different math programs over the years, I would highly recommend that you choose ONE program and stick with it. I think my dd's problems with math in the beginning years correlated strongly to my constant switching programs on her each year. Both Singapore and Horizons are strong programs. I would not do both.

My two cents,
Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon May 02, 2011 6:01 pm

I agree with the others, I would choose ONE and stick with it if at all possible! We have also used both of those, due to switching back and forth. I don't recommend it. Though we use a different program from either of those mentioned, I can see with my 3rd child that he is 'getting' things at this early age that my older two (the ones I switched programs on) had to struggle with at their later ages. He understands concepts that begin in the early years, that are built on in later years, and he is definitely benefitting from staying put in math. Whichever you go with, I would say give it a good couple of years to see how it works before trying anything new.HTH :wink:

mamabeavabjo

Post by mamabeavabjo » Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Dustybug wrote: am thinking of doing both Singapore and Horizons math K programs with my DD
this fall. I would follow the Singapore schedule in LHFHG, but also do a lesson
of Horizons as well. Anyone else done this or used two math programs at once?
I like aspects from both programs and think they would complement each other.
My dd (who is now in 2nd grade) used Horizons in K. Then I heard all of these wonderful things about Singapore, so in 1st I decided to use Singapore. It was just so different from Horizons I decided that I didn't want to miss something and I used both simultaneously for the remainder of first grade. The result of this was a very frusturated dd and burnt out mama! And I have a degree in math :D It also put us almost a half of a year behind because I couldn't keep up and neither could dd. Not because she wasn't smart enough, but because concepts are presented differently and it was too much for us. I worried about her not covering as much content, but now that I have stuck with Singapore through 2nd grade (and we are almost caught up!) she is doing great. I did add a little math drill to Singapore and we are memorizing skip counting by all the numbers (I also have a dd in 1st so this is beneficial for everyone).
If I've learned anything these first three years of homeschooling, it's that you have to stick with something for several years to see the fruit of it because each program builds on itself in a different way than another would.
Hope this helps a little. FWIW, my dd in 1st has only used Singapore and does just fine so far.
Blessings,
Stephanie
Enjoying Bigger Hearts with dds 8,7, modified LHFHG with dd 5 and ds 2 keeping things exciting!

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for the responses everyone! So, now I'm in a pickle because I am STRUGGLING to choose between Singapore and Horizons. Choices, choices....
Dusty
Mommy to

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 am

I don't know why you're struggling between Singapore and Horizons (what pro/cons you're considering, what aspects you like about one and not the other, etc), but I do know what it's like to not be able to decide between two curriculums. What I recommend is if you still don't have peace with a decision after prayer, let the need to make all the right decisions go and lay that burden at Carrie's door. :wink: So, if I were struggling that hard with deciding, I would just go with Singapore, as it has been chosen by Carrie, who knows what she's doing, and comes with those great activities in the first three guides. If you're putting your trust in Carrie to choose what's best for the other subjects, so you might as well trust her for math, too. :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 17 - US2
HODers from the beginning

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Why not start with HOD's suggestions, and see what comes of it? This will enable you to use the guides as they are written year after year after year. :D Plus, HOD has hands-on activities written in the guide through 2B, which are wonderful. :wink: I will say it is much easier to begin with Singapore than to switch to it later. Being a mom of multiple dc, I cannot tell you how much of a time saver it is to use the math that is written in the HOD guides. I know moms using Horizons for their 3 dc that are spending 3+ hours on math each day. :shock: Singapore math for 3 dc, on the other hand, will have me teaching about an hour for all 3, and then them working approximately 20 minutes a piece independently to finish, which they can do all at once, and doesn't require me. :wink: The shorter math is deeper in skills (and shorter on repetition), and all my dc LOVE math, but are also glad it does not take them all day to do. My dc just took their standardized tests, and both flew through the math, not wanting calculators, not needing scratch paper. I can guarantee if you begin with Singapore and switch later to Horizons, your ds will not be behind. Just my thoughts though - you'll know what you want to do here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Over 3 hours??? Yikes! :shock:

Both of my boys used Singapore in the younger grades. My oldest just doesn't think the way they teach and hit a wall, so we switched. He's in Abeka 7 now and doing beautifully.

My younger one did great in Singapore (he's my mathy kid :)) He actually did Singapore and TT at the same time for the last 2 years. We switched to Horizon's this year (mostly because he and I both wanted some color and a slightly different format). I also would NOT use Singapore and Horizon's together. I think Julie's got a great idea--if you can't decide, starting with what's in the guide might simplify your life. And my son didn't have any trouble at all going from Singapore 3B to Horizon's 4, if you decide to switch later.
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed May 04, 2011 5:56 am

Thank you again for your responses! They are truly helpful. I think that I'm going to stuff my curriculum envy aside for awhile and do as many of you suggested and stick with what the manual has laid out for now.
Dusty
Mommy to