Narration question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
KimS

Narration question

Post by KimS » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

At what age do you require narration? I do not expect it from my 5 yo but an wondering what age he may start.
He will sometimes talk to me about the story but mostly I ask him questions to try to get him to engage. some times he can answer and some times he can't. But I figure it's ok and he may have got it and just not want to answer right now.
So is this normal.

KTLM6

Re: Narration question

Post by KTLM6 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm kind of curious too. My dd is only in LHTH, but I usually ask her the questions with the Bible story. She does well there. I know she's not ready for narration, but I am wondering around what age that begins.
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

KimS

Post by KimS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

I am bumping this so hopefully someone can help with an answer.

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I can't give you an official answer, but I'll tell you how it worked at our house. I combined my kids in LHFHG a couple of years ago when they were 5, 6 and 7. About mid-year my 7 year old started picking up the skill. My 5 year old NEVER ever wanted to narrate. I continued to combine them for Beyond and it was pretty much the same thing. My youngest still resisted. We started Bigger in January. My oldest is now 9 and she does a fantastic job narrating. She's even able to do written narrations with ease. My middle child, 8, does a great job. My youngest, now 7, has gained confidence and can narrate, but she still struggles sometimes. I'm not worried about it.

The funny thing is, my 5 year old (peach number 4) has been listening in all these years, and she does a great job narrating! My 7 year old got stuck narrating today and my 5 year old took her turn. I just started my youngest in LHFHG this week, and she's able to narrate Reddy Fox very well.

It's a skill that has to be learned over time and practiced.

seekhimfirst

Post by seekhimfirst » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I just wanted to say that if you are using LHFHG for your 5 year old I think the story time in it is excellent in teaching children to narrate! Children practice retelling by discussing questions with you or by acting out events from the story some days and many other ways. My five year old is loving LHFHG and does a fantastic job with narration. It has been more difficult for my older two kiddos to pick it up than him! I would encourage starting as early as possible. :D I don't know if my answers are correct, just my opinion, hopefully a much more seasoned user will be able to give some advice.
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG