Question about Rod and Staff 2 for ds9/handwriting problems

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
striving2Bprov31

Question about Rod and Staff 2 for ds9/handwriting problems

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Hello!

I am currently doing Bigger with ds9. He has some handwriting issues/delays. We are going to begin the process in seeking out a professional to make sure he does not have something going on like dysgraphia,etc. We just want to know if he truly has a significant issue so we can know how to best teach him.

Because of this, I have kept his handwriting assignments to a BARE minimum so not to overwhelm or discourage him.

This is my question......in R and S 2 how much writing is involved for the student?? If need be(because of my son's special circumstances) could the written assignments just be done orally--at least until we get this handwriting issue figured out...?
Sorry, I know this is a rambling question--I am in a hurry right now!! :) :)

Carrie, Julie, I would also love to hear from you on this!!
Thanks!

Mumkins

Re: Question about Rod and Staff 2 for ds9/handwriting problems

Post by Mumkins » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 pm

We do most of it orally. They might ask you to write several sentences out, circle the noun and underline the verb, but I'll just have them tell me what the noun is and tell me what the verb is. If it's something like write a) for something and b) for another, I might have them write it.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 am

You can do a lot of it orally. I had a child that struggled with the writing at the younger ages to and we did a lot orally and some on a dry erase board.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 pm

You can do most, if not ALL, of it orally. In level 2 I don't think many, if any, paragraphs/sentences are asked to be written so you could do a lot out loud. This makes the lessons quicker and means less writing for the child. HTH :wink:

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Right now we do almost all of it orally. Occasionally we'll write something out, but the majority of it we do out loud.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 am

We are only 5 weeks in, but we do all of it orally. We did one lesson written, but I quickly decided that it wasn't going to work for us right now. So it's all oral and takes about 5 minutes :)

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

I went ahead and ordered the book---it's good to know that the lessons (when done orally) take only about 5 minutes!! I was concerned that starting RnS 2 with ds would lengthen our schooltime too much. Good to know!!

I am also going to start DITHOR 2/3 with him, doing most of it orally, or writing/typing his answers for him. I think he is ready for some lit. study....he loves to read and discuss it. Thankfully, he is also very advanced in narration skills. He is just VERY verbal.

Anyway....thanks!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Sorry I'm late to this, but I definitely concur! :D R & S English can be done mainly orally, and if handwriting is a concern, can be done 98% orally. I'd probably try to have ds write one problem each time, just to stretch him, and then maybe work up to two. With my almost 8 yo doing R & S English 2, we do a good portion together orally, and then I write a portion for him in his notebook, only for a few in a section that seems that writing would be helpful to the learning (i.e. a few sentences), and then I have him write 1-2 sentences usually. It has worked well! We love R & S English - and doing it this way with my oldest has not deterred retention either. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Liz,

I agree with the ladies' wise advice! :D Much of it can be done orally. I like the idea of one sentence or so of writing on some days to stretch him a bit, once his handwriting issues have been addressed some (and he seems more ready to build his fine motor skills). :D We're having my third son do Bigger at half-speed to allow his writing to catch up with the rest of his skills. It's working well, even though he can comprehend so much, the fine motor challenges are easier for him at half-speed right now. :D

Blessings,
Carrie