Grammar to use independently?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Grammar to use independently?

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 pm

I am trying to figure out how to make HOD as independent as possible.

We are using MUS and TT for math.

I have used Rod and Staff 2 and 3 with my 11 yo. I went with Serl's Language Lessons for this year, and I don't feel like she has really learned much grammar at all :? . I did not feel like Rod and Staff lent it self very well to independent work. We did most of it orally or she would just read it on her own. But, in the higher grades, I am concerned that it will have to take a lot more time one on one. I am wondering if Abeka or BJU may be better in regards to independence because of the workbook format. Does anyone have experience with using several grammar programs, that could suggest one that is good for self learning?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Grammar to use independently?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Of all those I've used, I find R&S the most independent. My 9yo is halfway through 3 and is mostly independent and as we progress, I intend to keep it that way. She reads through the lesson and does the worksheet if there is one. If there's not, she does a couple sentences from each section on paper. Later, she comes to me and we spend 5 minutes doing the oral review and checking her answers. She comes to me with any questions, which is very rare. Shes done well with this even with more difficult topics. R&S is just thorough and clear in it's explanations. I can't imagine anything like Abeka, etc being easier to do independently.

Even when I present the lessons, it takes about ten minutes of my time. I read through it with her, after doing the oral review. Then do a couple examples on the dry erase board and then leave her to finish her work.

brenm37

Re: Grammar to use independently?

Post by brenm37 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:53 pm

We use and like Growing with Grammar. Both my 9 and 11 year olds complete their lessons independently, I check the work and we discuss any problems.
Brenda