3rd Grade Vocabulary

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmama

3rd Grade Vocabulary

Post by blessedmama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I was wondering what kind of vocabulary words one would use for a third grader and how you go about teaching vocab. I use the vocab from Bigger but I would like to use some others that are even a little easier as well. Any suggestions? :lol:
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

Tansy

Re: 3rd Grade Vocabulary

Post by Tansy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:35 pm

we have been using this book for the last month and we love love love it.
http://www.vocabularycartoons.com/home/ ... ition.html
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 pm

HOD teaches vocabulary in a variety of ways throughout the guides. DITHOR has vocabulary that can be done with it as well. It is in the Appendix. That accompanied with the vocabulary in the Bigger Hearts' plans makes a nice approach to teaching vocabulary. In addition to this, a simple way to increase vocabulary that is tried and true is for dc to listen to audio books and follow along in the book as they do. Research has proven this to be a very effective way to increase not only vocabulary but also reading comprehension. When choosing audio books, books that are several reading levels above what a child is comfortably reading can be used. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mrskturner

Post by mrskturner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

I wasn't really sure about the vocab part myself. I am using Bigger with a 2nd and 3rd grader. My daughter with dyslexia was really struggling with some of the vocab in Bigger. But I tweaked just a little and I am so pleased with how she is doing now! I always add the new words in the poems as part of their vocabulary. The word "haze" was in a poem in Bigger, then I pointed out the haze on the horizon one morning to her, and then one day she heard it in a book I was reading and piped up and told me what it was. I don't think the word "savage" is in the HOD vocab, but we have come across it while reading in our history book, reading in The Courage of Sarah Noble, and now while reading in her Kirsten series books. She commented to be the other day that her little brothers act like savages! I think she has learned a new word :)
Kirsten
Aly - age 10 (dyslexia)- BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Jackson - age 7 (mild dyslexia and adhd) - BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Grayson - age 2 - LHTH

http://keyschristianacademy.blogspot.com/