Writing Progression :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Writing Progression :)

Post by abrightmom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Hello ladies,

I am primarily a HOD message board lurker :mrgreen: although I did ask a placement question a long time ago. I have a whole bunch of questions but I am finding the answers as I search these wonderful boards! :D In my quest for answers (I am a HOD user wannabe and I'm currently figuring out my "plan". I was able to purchase 3 HOD guides and I'm LOVING reading through them and considering a good game plan for my crew.) I am not finding something explaining HOD's writing progression. I need to wrap my mind around the general writing "philosophy" and perhaps a short summary of how it is fleshed out from one guide to the next. I DO understand how copywork, narration and dictation lay the groundwork for strong writing skills. I do see how these are used extensively in LHFHG, BLHFHG and BHFHG (the 3 guides I have). I am wondering what happens next :D . Where are the guides taking us in terms of writing? The main writing philosophy that I am familiar with is Susan Wise Bauer's as outlined in her book and in her lectures. She also starts with the same skill progression and builds a strong foundation for expository writing. I guess I'm wondering how I can find out where we're going in HOD. If this makes NO sense please ask. :mrgreen: Getting what is in my brain out onto paper isn't always pretty :lol: . I am happy to read a thread addressing my questions if you can link me to one!

By the way, I have found the message boards here to be refreshing, encouraging, challenging (good counsel), and God glorifying. There is a Christ-like spirit here and it's so comfortable to me! Thanks for maintaining high standards ladies!!
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

birchbark

Re: Writing Progression :)

Post by birchbark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Katrina, check out the links in this post.
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

cirons

Post by cirons » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I have just started HOD so I can't answer you questions, but I just wanted to agree with how you described the forum 'spirit' here. So true! I come into this forum after being on other more general ones, and I know here you can just relax and let your guard down as it is so encouraging and open and uplifting! Such a nice change!

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

birchbark wrote:Katrina, check out the links in this post.
Thank-you! I missed those (or they went right over my head :D when I read them)! That is exactly the kind of concise summary I need.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 am

Katrina,

I fully agree that the ladies here wonderful! :D They are great at answering questions and helping others find exactly what is needed. I praise the Lord so often for the ladies He has brought to this forum. We strive to be encouragers and to be uplifting to one another. We're so glad that you are here too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie