Considering switching to Preparing, have ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tbarr12

Considering switching to Preparing, have ?

Post by tbarr12 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Due to the advice of a few on this board, I'm considering going down one level from CTC to Preparing for my dd, age 10.5, and ds, age 9, with extentions for 5 grade. However, I have a question. Many of the books in that program we've already done. The ones that stand out to me are: Child's History of the World (just did last year), Peter the Great, Hero Tales. I know there are a 2-3 others, but can't remember them off hand. We did the first 2 last year, and the 3rd the year before, in conjunction with Sonlight and MFW, respectively.

I am a little overwhelmed by the idea of rethinking my curriculum choice and starting over. Of course, I'd have to wait for it to come in the mail!!! We just moved 2.5 weeks ago, so everything in my life feels very chaotic, and this just increases that feeling that I can't seem to get anything settled!!! Anyway, that was a digression, but I would be facing the reality of starting school 3 weeks later than I'd planned!!! I just need some perspective on how big of a deal it will be that we did a few of those books before. Julie gave me the advice to move down one level for both of them, and I think it really bears consideration, but this is one question I need answered.

As always, I appreciate input.

Tracey
Tracey, married to Steve for 13 years
DD 12 - CTC, R&S Math, R&S Grammar 5
DS 10 - Preparing, R&S Math, R&S Grammar 4
DD 7yo - Beyond, R&S Math

MommyMc

Re: Considering switching to Preparing, have ?

Post by MommyMc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:46 pm

My son, also in fifth grade, is doing Preparing with extensions this year. We started school on Monday. I was getting a little nervous the day we started, because he has recently read more than half of the books and some of them MANY times. But Carrie reassured me that the WAY he would be reading them and the SKILLS he would be learning while using them would be different and there would still be great benefit to doing Preparing this year.

I had originally chosen Preparing because I wanted my son to be able to work up to longer written narrations more slowly, as we have not really done a lot of narration in the past. After a unit of lessons, I am pleased with my decision.

(And thanks Carrie, for the encouragement!)

I wish my daughter were doing CTC with extensions this year, but my husband wanted me to go a different route with her this year (using resources we already had). And although I was sad (and do think CTC would have been GREAT for her), listening to my husband has been best. In addition to saving the money that he wanted, it has given me a chance to focus on them each individually in a way that *I* couldn't have otherwise. The learning curve for the CM/HOD style of learning has been an adjustment for me, especially with 5,3 and 1 year olds also in our home. :) I am incorporating LOTS of narration, art, composer study, etc. into my daughter's school in the things that I have put together and she should be ready should we decide to put her in HOD next year. I love it when God works out the details for our school! My five year old is currently doing Five in a Row (because my other kids had talked up their kindergarten years so much and all of the extra things we added to that). He is also going to using Singpore Math (as my other kids have) and we already use A Reason for Handwriting. So, it should be easy for him to "slip into" HOD in the future as well (especially with me having the right mindset).

All that to say, my son has really enjoyed his first week of Preparing. He hasn't even complained about all of the sketching and drawing, which he does not enjoy at ALL, but has done his best and moved on to the next thing. He practically has Grandpa's Box memorized, but he is still learning from doing the HOD activities along with it. And review is ALWAYS good, right? ;) Another of the books that we have also done is CHOW, but after our experience with Grandpa's Box, I am no longer worried that it will be "boring, repetitious or a waste of time."

Hope my experience is helpful to you and that you come to a decision that God gives you peace about.
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 am

MommyMC,

I'm so glad to hear that your first week went well. I agree it sounds like you have a good plan in place and want to asure you that you are laying a wonderful foundation through Preparing Hearts that will be of great benefit to your son as he moves onto to CTC next year. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 am

Tracey,

I missed out on thread where the possibility of your child backing up a guide was mentioned. But, I will share that in pondering what the best fit is for your child, I would try to set aside the thoughts about which resources he has already used and really focus instead on where he fits best according to the placement chart. This is because in the long-term it will be most important to have him correctly placed so that he can truly do the assignments and the readings that we are asking him to do. Otherwise, you'll always be helping him through a guide that is too tough for him to do in the way it was intended. :wink:

If, after purely considering the skills, you still feel that CTC is the best placement for him. Then, by all means proceed! :D Just make sure that he can truly do the readings himself, follow the directions as much on his own as possible, and do the written work we're assigning in a timely fashion. I know all kiddos have their areas that they need extra help with and that is fine, but if you have to help through every part of his day that would be an indication to back up.

You will have far more insight than we will, as you know your child best. In looking ahead to the rigor of RTR though, you'll want to make sure that CTC is the right fit. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

tbarr12

Post by tbarr12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 am

Carrie - thank you, I was hoping to hear from you on this issue! I went with Julie's suggestion and last night ordered Preparing with extensions for my oldest 5th grade dd. He definitely fits on the Preparing list in terms of abilities, and she needs, it sounds like, to also be prepared for the independence and skills required in CTC. Esp. as I heard about how rigorous RTR is, I don't feel he'd be ready for that next year. And since there is a way to challenge my dd, who really needs it, by ordering the extensions, I decided to go with that option. I do not want to discourage ds with too much - he is easily overwhelmed, whereas my dd needs a challenge to rise to. So I feel good about this one (even though it was a little hard to spend the money for 2 curricula this year, but I know it will balance out next year!!!) Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'm looking forward to receiving my box,hopefully next week!

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm so glad to hear you've come to this decision. It sounds like it will be for the best. I helped my dd through last year in Preparing (ie reading the independent parts to her and helping her figure out what to do) and she wasn't ready for CTC this year. Make sure you help your son to learn to do the independent parts on his own. This will aid in getting him ready for CTC next year. :D Doing the extensions will definitely make it meaty enough for your dd. I'm excited for you because you are going to love it so much now that they are placed correctly. :D
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

tbarr12

Post by tbarr12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Leah - out of curiosity, what are you doing this year with DD who wasn't ready for CTC?

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 pm

My daughter is using Bigger this year. She is doing the History, Music, and Science boxes independently. You can see how I came around to this decision by reading this thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7001 Julie and Carrie both helped me decide. As I mentioned earlier I didn't make her do the Independent things on her own in Preparing last year and that set us back a bit. I was new to HOD last year and didn't realize how it is geared to gradually move them on to more and more independence. My daughter has had a much harder time with her reading than her brother. I probably should have had her in Bigger last year and Preparing this year but I was trying to combine for the sake of finances. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. You are going to love Preparing! It is such a fun program! :D
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Tracey,

I'm so glad that you are finding the right fit for your kiddos. I know it can take some tweaking and reassessing in the beginning, but it will be so worth it in the years to come as the placement will be so much better in the long-term. :D Plus, Preparing Hearts is a wonderful guide that I am so glad you will not miss! Enjoy your year! :D

On a sidenote, if you do need to return any of your CTC materials that are still in new condition you can gladly do so, and we'll be glad to work with you on this. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

tbarr12

Post by tbarr12 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you, Carrie. I think for now I'm just planning to keep the CTC materials, as I am thinking I'll most likely use them next year. It just hurts in the short run to buy two curricula! Thanks again.