Spelling Woes for 12 and 10 dds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GingerN

Spelling Woes for 12 and 10 dds

Post by GingerN » Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 am

Greetings. We are planning to use Creation to Christ this fall with our younger daughters. After pouring over the online samples, the only area of concern in the spelling. We have not used dictation for spelling before, even though we have done HOD. I used the spelling programs that had worked well with my older two, but they have not done much for my youngers. :? Is there anything you can suggest we use over the summer break to prepare them for the dictation in CtoC? Thanks in advance~
Ginger

lovedtodeath

Re: Spelling Woes for 12 and 10 dds

Post by lovedtodeath » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 am

This will probably help, it describes studied dictation: Then the child 'prepares' the passage himself (this is onpage 242 of volume one). This preparation involves having the child slowly look through the passage and anytime he comes to a word he thinks he can't spell he is to look at it attentively, then close his eyes and picture it with his eyes shut. After a bit of this, the teacher or mother asks him what passages he is still unsure of, and at this time may point out others that she thinks might give him trouble.

He looks these over again, using the same method--just trying to look at the word carefully enough that when he closes his eyes he can picture it accurately.

If there are any words still worrying him, the teacher writes them one by one on a chalkboard or whiteboard (this could work in a classroom, but the whole class would be suggesting words, so some words would be covered that some of the children are not worried about). Again, the child looks at the word writ largely on the board, looks until he has a picture of it, and then she erases the word and moves on.

The child decides when he is ready for dictation. Now, where I am very skeptical is that this whole process, she says, should take only five to ten minutes![/quote] You may want to teach them the spelling rules for the words that they struggle with. I also wanted to add that dictation is very effective! You might see the spelling woes turn right around!
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

GingerN

Post by GingerN » Tue May 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you! That was very helpful~
Ginger

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue May 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Well, I wanted to add that we used Preparing...this year, but did not begin until January. Spelling in the fall waas haphazard due to a move and the holidays. However, after taking the CAT in April, my daughter's score in spelling had improved by 1 year and 2 months.......and the year previous we had only seen a 5-month improvement over the course of an entire year. So, I can't really say how much of that is due to the dictation in HOD and how much could be from her age, etc., but I was very encouraged with the results we got. She also enjoyed it, so that was a bonus for us. I would say try it....we were nervous too, so that's understandable....but I think it really works, and you may be surprised with the results as well. :wink: As for preparing for it over the summer....I think you could just jump right in in the fall (it didn't really seem to take any preparation) as long as you start your dc in the correct level.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Ginger! :D We just finished CTC, literally a few weeks ago. Oh my, my... great fun ahead for you and your 2 kiddos. Wait until you get a peek at that Student Notebook - beeeeeee-autiful. :D And those books... I'm missing them already. Back to the question though :D - My oldest had speech troubles and has become an excellent speller with the CM style of teaching LA. Dictation is a slow burn, so if you keep with it, you will definitely see results. So, what's the best way to prepare for dictation? I'd have to say to DO dictation! :lol: Why wait? Dictation takes literally 5 minutes. If I was a kid doing spelling during the summer, 5 minutes of it would be highly motivating to me. :D :D :D If I were you, I'd get my CTC manual and start dictation. I have lots of favorite threads about dictation, so since that is the one area you are asking about, I'll link them here. BUT, if your eyes get tired reading them, just sign off and stop reading! I don't want to overwhelm, but in case this may be beneficial interesting reading for you, here goes...

Carrie explains CM Dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5661

Praise for long-term effects of dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5645&p=41374#p41374

Encouraging Dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4877
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5558

Dictation Samples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221
CTC Level 5 Dictation Sample:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5068&p=37153#p37153

In Christ,