Copyright question (and record keeping for right/left sides)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threegreatkids

Copyright question (and record keeping for right/left sides)

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Is it OK to photocopy the schedules in an HOD manual for use within your own family?
With one child doing half of two different programs, I photocopied a few months worth for her so they were all in one binder for her to check off. I know it's a little late to ask this :oops: but I just looked at the copyright guidelines and realized this wasn't clearly defined. We are using all the manuals anyway, so we won't be selling them or anything.
Or does anyone have a better suggestion for recordkeeping when doing right side and left side from different guides?
Last edited by threegreatkids on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

yayadaisy

Re: Copyright question

Post by yayadaisy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Good question. Would like to know what others have done too!

sheila mom to six blessings

Kathleen

Re: Copyright question (and record keeping for right/left sides)

Post by Kathleen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 pm

I can't answer the copyright question. But, I can tell you our plan for reusing guides. :wink: We make our checks in different color pencils. Grant is orange. Allison is pink. Garret doesn't have a color yet, but will get to pick one soon. I put those little post it note tabs that you can move from page to page. In LHFHG this year, we have one for the left page and one for the rght page and it's super-easy to keep track of!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:05 am

What a great idea, Kathleen! Now why didn't I think of that :roll: I have dismembered one of our manuals, bound parts, put parts in binders, copied parts, copied parts from another guide (which look messy b/c they were made from a bound book), put them back to back, and it is all a cumbersome mess!!! Guess i should have asked sooner!
Thanks! :D
Mom of three great kids

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:26 pm

threegreatkids,

Thanks for asking this question. The guides are actually copyrighted, so you're not meant to make copies of the daily plans. We do grant permission to copy the poetry in several of the guides as needed for the poetry activities. We also grant permission in several of the guides to copy the dictation passages if needed. These copyright exceptions are noted in the guides. :D

It looks like Kathleen gave you a great suggestion that may work for your situation. If you have other questions, ask away. :D We pray HOD will be a blessing for your family.

Blessings,
Carrie

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks, Carrie, for your answer. Sorry I didn't ask before copying...I'm glad i only copied 6 weeks worth, which we've just finished using. We will try out Kathleen's suggestion. (I just got some of those neat post-it tabs :D)
I suppose another option is to create a weekly checklist and have our children who are using more than one manual just check off on a separate sheet. I'll keep that as my back-up plan if we get bogged down with too many different tabs.
Thanks again,
Last edited by threegreatkids on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom of three great kids

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 pm

We're doing the same thing Kathleen is doing, and it's working great! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

I made everyone a book that has the poems, their dictation, and I typed up the scripture for the week and copied.
It is so much easier. I had them spiral bound. It makes getting started much, much easier now. I also typed up the vocabulary words for the week.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Kathleen recommended the same thing to me when we started this year...we are working out of 2 books. I do go a step further and put my lesson plan out for the week on an excel spread sheet to include any items I may need for the week (ie chocolate cips, crayons, etc). For me it is nice to sit down on Sunday evening and plan out my week instead of going from day to day. I've made out a template for each subject and book and mark each item off as we go. I have to say I am one of those people who doesn't like to write in my books. :roll:

Kirstin
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 am

I also don't like to write in my books. The only thing I've found that works for me so far is to put a big paperclip that is the child's color in the pages we are on, and then not move to the next page until we are done with the first one. That way I don't have to remember anything.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:28 pm

This is a great discussion! :D Here's a link to another thread that may be of help too. :D Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3228

Blessings,
Carrie

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:30 pm

I live in a state that requires me to keep a log of each day of school, we have lots of rules here and I dislike it. I don't want to rewrite all we are doing....so far I have just ignored this and hoped for the best. All I have done so far, record-wise, is write the dates we do school. I am extremely dedicated to getting all our work done each day, I am not slack about DOING it. Just resent the state requiring me to record it all and have them 'check' it all over (when our schools here are failing and in danger of being shut down because they are doing such a bad job--but they want to check up on me. I digress..). At year's end, I have to turn in a portfolio, which is no problem since we have so many neat things in HOD. But, I feel like I should do better than the checklist of dates we did school. I don't really want to turn in my manual to the school district! Anyone have any ideas? I guess at some point I will type up a spreadsheet or something, but it hasnt happened yet...welcoming our ideas!
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:29 am

I don't know if this would work or not for record keeping for some of you... here's what I've started doing...

I keep a binder with her projects/assignments that are flat and I print out a monthly calendar. On that calendar I have the name, what manual they are in, and any extra stuff they are doing that month (basketball, 4-H, awana, ARF Handwriting) and each day I'll write the unit and day plus extras. So like on Monday the 14th for Jayden it looked like this...

Unit 16 Day 2
A (symbol for ARFH book A)
basketball

and yesterday

Unit 16 Day 5
A
4-H

That way I have the records and don't have to feel like it's too much nor is it just a check for the day. At the end of the month I put the calendar page in the binder in front of the work done that month. I have pictures saved on the computer that I'm planning on making collage pages of projects and activities that cannot be put on flat paper and also put other things in the pockets... like 4-H lap books, etc.