where do you get reading levels

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

where do you get reading levels

Post by jenntracy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 pm

i have been using scholastic.com to look up storytime books other than the ones in the HOD packs. but when i have looked up some of the same ones in the packs for more info, many of them have slightly lower( RL) reading levels than the ones on HOD's website.

How do you determine reading levels, Carrie, if i might ask?

How can i compare books not in the book packs, if they may be slightly off compared to what you might be using to determine reading levels?

Thanks
Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: where do you get reading levels

Post by Carrie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Jenn,

We use accelerated reader levels to level our books. The reason we go that route is because it was what we used during my school-teaching days, so I am very familiar with its system of leveling. It is still the most widely used leveling system and is used by public schools, Christian schools, and libraries alike. There will still be some slight variations among AR levels for the same book, but it gives a fairly good indicator of reading level. :D

I agree that there are many different ways to find a reading level for a book. On a sidenote, Scholastic's levels are very general and will often vary quite a bit from the AR levels. :D

Happy reading!

Blessings,
Carrie