Does the workbox system....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kayben

Re: Does the workbox system....

Post by kayben » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am

That was my concern. I have quit homeschooling before because of my disorganization. HOD is providing me with the peaceful open and go that I need. But I am thinking of using the boxes for organized breaks, ie.. time with 2 year old, trampoline for 15 minutes, art, gym/15 minute bikeride, spanish, and maybe keeping the current reading/independent/DITHOR books in there to help keep track of them. I don't want to add another hour to the school day though.

I will start the school year using HOD as is. there are a few requirements in MD that are not included that I tend to skip. This may be my answer. But not for day 1, or 5, or maybe even the first month. I will play it by ear. Love the idea. But HOD already has so much of this work done. but I do love to hear the success stories to see how we can adjust.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

kayben

Post by kayben » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 am

I just noticed this thread and it is exactly what I need! :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4093 An HOD friendly "workbox" that just organizes materials. Super plan!
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

ahngele

Post by ahngele » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Although I am new to workboxes and to HOD I would like to chime in on this. One of the reasons I was originally attracted to HOD was because the manuals were so laid out for you, I am not an organized person and left to my own devices it is hard for me to get things done. I also was attracted to workboxes because of the visual and organizing factors. I bought the workbox book and it is fantastic! The boxes help with getting the kids to work independantly. IMO breaking HOD up into the boxes would mostly be a waste of time.However, we will be using the boxes so each of my children can work independently while I do HOD with the other child.(my kids are 4 and 8, both with moderate special needs) As Sue writes about in the book, children need review and also to practice various skills used in learning (i.e. sequencing, fine motor) and the boxes are great for that.Especially for my children who both have nuero issues and need a lot of repeition to get things down. Anyway, I will be filling my boy's boxes with things like file folder games, leap frog toys, etc so one boy can be working with mom and the other can be working through his boxes. When HOD calls for something my kids can do on thier own (like a math worksheet) I may incorporate that into the boxes, but otherwise we will be using HOD "as is" and the workboxes will seperate. Also I should note that I used to teach preschool, had a home daycare, taught Sunday school, and my kids work with a wonderful speech therapist who gives them things, so I have *tons* of goodies on hand already to fill the boxes with very little effort on my part.The boxes just provide the structure and motivation for my kids to work on thier own, since they are in pk and 2nd (LHTH and BLHFHG) there is not much HOD-wise they will be doing together.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

I've found a way to simplify my workboxes that I think will work better.

I'll have 3 HOD boxes-- Independent, Semi-Ind., and Mom.
Then 3 Non-HOD boxes-- Ind., Semi-Ind, and Mom.
Then I'll have 2 fun boxes.

I'm going to give DD8 cards that say
10 min. break- swing,
15 min. break- fun box,
20min. break- play with dog,
2 bathroom/water break cards,
4 I need help cards

She can use these cards as she needs to through out the school day and can choose what order to do her independent work. I'll have extra boxes up top that contain science experiment or project materials that will be needed that day (or maybe that week) so they are handy if they don't fit in the box with the rest.

I have a chart for myself that tells me what goes in each of the 3 HOD boxes (very simply broken down into Daily or Certain Unit Days) and the 3 Non-HOD boxes (very simply broken down as daily (like exercise and math drill/review that we currently need) or rotating (so I can get the extras in on a rotating basis).

I'll also make a list of Fun Box items and activities that I'll rotate through.

I'll not have to decide order or schedule, I won't have to change the schedule cards each day, I'll have fewer boxes and she'll get to take breaks as needed, not as scheduled. I'll try to do my part of LHFHG with ds5 and all of LHTH with ds almost 3 (just a couple times weekly) while dd does her Independent HOD boxes. We only get to the Non-HOD boxes if we get all of HOD done first. Once she completes a whole box, she turns it around backwards and puts completed work in a designated place.

I'm only doing workboxes for her, I find HOD to be perfectly scheduled and open and go for me...but since she is needing to learn to do more of the work independently and needs items ready and waiting for her, this seems to work. Keeps it flowing smoothly for her as she is learning to do more on her own and also to use the guide. Might sound complicated typed out, but if you could see this simple little chart, it would make more sense! :D

ETA: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kwyn2nzm5 ... lified.doc Here's the chart I've made.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Geo

Post by Geo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:28 pm

kayben wrote:take the ease out of Carrie's organized TM"s. I have all the stuff. Read the book cover to cover. But I don't want to lose the pleasure of the HOD guides having everything in one place. Do you take each box from a page, rewrite assignments and put them in the boxes? Or basically use it for the reading, math, independent work, and extras? I will have four sets going, K, 1st, 3rd and 6th. Two programs. Is it worth it. I need ease of use or I tend to get overwhelmed. I LOVE the book and the idea behind it all! I have her starter kits in different colors for all seven of my kids so in the future I can add them in. I also bought her fabulous typing program and the best of all, the record keeping binder. Love this. It is color coordinated with the colors of the velcro numbers in the starter kits for the boxes. So I have a place to record each kids work already color coded. But... is it worth the work and can I really do anything in the summer to make it easier in the fall? Or can you really only do it one day at a time? thanks for your advice.

Rebecca
We use the workbox system, but I would never use it the way Sue Patrick outlines! As written,It has nothing in common with HOD.Her approach is
quite school-ish, not Charlotte Mason at all. I use the workboxes as a place for organizing their learning materials. My youngest needs to actually manipulate
the boxes to help him flow sequentially, but just as importantly, having all needed materials for an activity in one place helps him stay focused by reducing distractions and interruptions. It also shortens our day, not having to do the gathering during our learning time. I recommend you keep it as simple as possible with an eye on the goal of implementing only what you need to keep things moving smoothly. We use only the rack and clear shoeboxes, (no charts, schedules or tags) they are quite enough... in my opinion.
I wouldn't even add extra boxes or activities until they were completing their HOD studies with ease.
Last edited by Geo on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geo
married forever to one man
hsing for 22 years:
6 children:
Eric (34) (not a typo)
Ian (26) leader
Lauren (24) steel magnolia
Sally (17), senior in phs
Zoe (10), administrator
Oskar (7), dead ringer for Thomas Edison

kayben

Post by kayben » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 am

Geo wrote:
kayben wrote:take the ease out of Carrie's organized TM"s. I have all the stuff. Read the book cover to cover. But I don't want to lose the pleasure of the HOD guides having everything in one place. Do you take each box from a page, rewrite assignments and put them in the boxes? Or basically use it for the reading, math, independent work, and extras? I will have four sets going, K, 1st, 3rd and 6th. Two programs. Is it worth it. I need ease of use or I tend to get overwhelmed. I LOVE the book and the idea behind it all! I have her starter kits in different colors for all seven of my kids so in the future I can add them in. I also bought her fabulous typing program and the best of all, the record keeping binder. Love this. It is color coordinated with the colors of the velcro numbers in the starter kits for the boxes. So I have a place to record each kids work already color coded. But... is it worth the work and can I really do anything in the summer to make it easier in the fall? Or can you really only do it one day at a time? thanks for your advice.

Rebecca
We use the workbox system, but I would never use it the way Sue Patrick outlines! As written,It has nothing in common with HOD.Her approach is
quite school-ish, not Charlotte Mason at all. I use the workboxes as a place for organizing their learning materials. My youngest needs to actually manipulate
the boxes to help him flow sequentially, but just as importantly, having all needed materials for an activity in one place helps him stay focused by reducing distractions and interruptions. It also shortens our day, not having to do the gathering during our learning time. I recommend you keep it as simple as possible with an eye on the goal of implementing only what you need to keep things moving smoothly. We use only the rack and clear shoeboxes, (no charts, schedules or tags) they are quite enough... in my opinion.
I wouldn't even add extra boxes or activities until they were completing their HOD studies with ease.

Yup, this is the only way that it makes sense with HOD. I am appreciating everyones input as I realize that parts of this system are perfect for me. IE the organizing of materials and visual schedule. I will not try to to use her program as written. I am getting some really great ideas from everyone. my motto is simplify this year. Not confuse and add frustration and additional planning time to an open and go program. Thanks!!
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:45 am

I thought about the workboxes, but I really want my oldest daughter to get very familiar with reading a teacher's manual, since she will be homeschooling her own one day. So, I think we will skip them. The boxes in HOD have been so easy to use, and I don't want to add anything else to our lives after a new baby and a move. However, you could look at it as teaching her to teach her children the workbox system (smile).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.