How do YOU do workboxes with HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

How do YOU do workboxes with HOD?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:02 am

I'm starting the workbox system for DD8/3rd. She is starting Bigger and we have some fun extras she wants to add in. I'm trying to see how to break it all down to fit into the 12 boxes and still have free boxes to add in fun stuff, how to put it in an order than flows well with playtimes and meal/snack times, etc. Since she is on the older end of the Bigger age range and is a strong reader, I'm having her do many things independently (great for when baby #4 arrives!). Then there are the semi-ind./start-with-mom-finish-on-your-own things, then the all with mom. She wants to do Spanish daily (I have a workbook, a lesson book, cd-rom, music cd's, phonogram cards, etc. so this can vary from pure fun/independent to a short lesson with mom). She loves to read, so she's also reading some of the extension books. We're not doing DITHOR right now, but she is reading the books. She will also spend 30 min. each day to teach some of LHFHG to my K'er--I'll be doing most of his basics with him.

Should I be putting only 1 task per box? Or should I group a few small independent tasks together, then a couple mom tasks together, etc.?? I can post a picture of what I've done so far and can also share the list of how I've broken it down so far. Generally speaking this is what I have- In Bigger, Days 1&4 are similar and Days 2&5 are similar, then Day 3...all have similar structures to them, but those groupings were the most alike...so I have a workbox planner page I've typed up to help me with daily set up. I've also listed some ideas for "fun boxes" like peg board/pegs, pattern blocks, computer games, logic puzzle books, etc. And I have the timer cards, Work With Mom cards- with an S if it's just to start with mom and finish on own- Help cards, and I've gotten tentative schedule strips up. I just don't know how to organize it all!

How do YOU make the workbox system work for HOD, specifically Bigger (or any guide where you have quite a bit of independent work)???

(I'm trying to figure out how to share my lists...I'll post if I ever figure it out!)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Re: How do YOU do workboxes with HOD?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:20 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4c7a ... 49b5870170

This should link you to the file "Ky's Workbox Planner" as well as several others I used to make it all...please let me know if I've got the right idea! I'm not sure what I'm doing with this new workbox system!

What would you change? Do I have the right idea? Any ideas to make it better? I'm I missing something?

I'm going to take some pics of our schedule and boxes...they'll be posted on my blog later.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Mom2Monkeys,

Would you mind emailing me those files? I can't seem to get it to work. We are going to be using the workbox system, but need some direction. :D

Thank you,
LeAnna
leejeagle@hotmail.com
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:56 pm

I can't get the files to work either but would love to see them....would you please email to me too...risensonacademy@comcast.net

Thanks!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

just emailed those to you :D

I tried to see them on MediaFire and couldn't...then I noticed you have to click the link to the left that says download now. :? I'm not familiar with all this file sharing stuff! So, it worked for me then, and I also saved one or two in a new format.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:04 pm

I found this link somewhere, maybe the WTM boards : http://heatherpreckel.blogspot.com/2009 ... anner.html

I printed it out to play with it and I think I'm going to use something along those lines. I can plug in everything I need to make sure that all my HoD boxes are there, but then all the extras we want will get added in too. I can do the main planning of this on a Sunday evening, and then just pop the stuff for each subject into it's box.

Still don't know if I'm going to use a box system, or a hanging pocket organizer. I like the smaller space that the hanging organizer would use, but not sure if it will hold everything. Still thinking on that one.
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:12 pm

That's where I got some of my ideas! I used that planner to get me going. HOD is so different than most other curriculums, that I'm having a hard time breaking things down into individual boxes and having enough space just for HOD stuff! It's all so tied in together (a great thing!) I don't know how to separate it...then trying to keep independent together, simi-ind, and then teacher...it sure is a lot of up front work for mom!

I do feel like it will pay off if I ever get it figured out...With the weekly planner made out the way I have it, I shouldn't have to do any real planning, just gathering. I needed to do that part anyway. I also have the wonderful materials lists made by another HOD mom and that will help so much as well for this system. At least I think I have one for Bigger. I've been printing, covering with contact paper, cutting, and sticking velcro tabs on since Friday...now to try it all out in the morning and see if it's done right. FUN!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Haven't quite figured this out in detail, but I'm going to create a distant cousin to workboxes using cardboard magazine files. All I really want is separate places for each subject's materials for each child so they can independently get what they need. And we'll color code of course :)
With the magazine files being vertical we can fit more on a bookshelf. When the kids finish, they can put it back on the shelf flipped around. Oh, and I will add some fun boxes for my 6 y.o. with books on tape and stuff.
I only briefly read about workboxes and it sparked an idea, but I don't intend to use them enough to research extensively.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

I can't really help you with the breakdown of how to do the boxes. I think that may be something you just have to play around with a little bit until you get the right "feel" for how you want it to work. I just started doing workboxes with my dd this past week! It has helped our day go MUCH more smoothly. We are taking a break from HOD for the summer though, so we just do fun extra stuff right now. I just needed something that would add structure to our day. Anyway, I think for me it will be easy to do the boxes when we do HOD because we will be doing LHFHG at half speed this fall, SO we will do 5 boxes of HOD one day (and that will be 5 "workboxes" as well), and then 5 boxes of HOD the next day (we will do phonics both days. That will still leave us with 7 boxes just for fun. If anyone wants to take a peak at my workboxes (I am using clear letter trays) I have some pictures posted in my blog. I will also post an update sometime in the next day or two about our first week "using" them. :D

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/694766/
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:21 pm

I just took a look at the link you posted. I think everything you have done so far is fabulous!!! :D I think you are of to a great start, and I definitely think things are going to come together well for you. KUP on how it is working. :D
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:31 pm

pollo_la wrote:I can't really help you with the breakdown of how to do the boxes. I think that may be something you just have to play around with a little bit until you get the right "feel" for how you want it to work. I just started doing workboxes with my dd this past week! It has helped our day go MUCH more smoothly. We are taking a break from HOD for the summer though, so we just do fun extra stuff right now. I just needed something that would add structure to our day. Anyway, I think for me it will be easy to do the boxes when we do HOD because we will be doing LHFHG at half speed this fall, SO we will do 5 boxes of HOD one day (and that will be 5 "workboxes" as well), and then 5 boxes of HOD the next day (we will do phonics both days. That will still leave us with 7 boxes just for fun. If anyone wants to take a peak at my workboxes (I am using clear letter trays) I have some pictures posted in my blog. I will also post an update sometime in the next day or two about our first week "using" them. :D

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/694766/
I just saw yours and they're great! Think I'll eventually start one for ds doing LHFHG too. :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:40 pm

This is how my boxes are scheduled out and in what order we are doing everything else for Days 1&4 (well, at least all of dd's stuff). I don't plan to follow it to the minute...I just did this so I'd know when to put meals, breaks, snacks in the mix...I'm not a timed schedule person! Then below it is what I have generally scheduled to go into the boxes each day based on the HOD plans- this is one from mediafire I posted about but many have not been able to view it all. So, I'm going to just copy and paste. So, yes, it will look really long!

Ky's Approximate Daily Schedule Using Workboxes
Days 1&4
6:45 Alarm
7:00 - 7:30 Morning Chores
7:30 - 7:50 Play With Fedor (our dog)
7:50 - 8:10 WB 1
8:10 - 8:40 Breakfast
8:40 - 9:20 WB 2-3-4
9:20 - 9:35 Swing, Water, Potty
9:35 - 10:10 WB 5-6-7
10:10 - 10:30 Snack Time (begin ReadAloud)
10:30 - 10:45 WB 8
10:45 - 11:45 Play Outside
11:45 - 12:15 WB 9 (w/Konor)
12:15 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 1:45 WB 10 (Combined Time- K,K,&Mom)
1:45 - 3:00 WB 11-12 (Quiet Time)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ky's WORKBOX PLANNER-- General Schedule
KEY: I-Independent S-Semi-Ind. M-Mom
Numbers represent minutes X- no set minutes

Days 1 & 4
1. Cursive, History, & Science Reading (I-15)
2. Grammar & Dictation (S-20)
3. Exercise (I-15)
4. Bible & Hymns (M-X)
5. Math (S-15)
6. Art/History Activity (S-10)
7. Free Drawing Time (I-10)
8. Poetry & Storytime (M-15)
9. LHFHG (K/K-30)
10. Spanish & CWC (Combined Time) (M-X)
11. Extension Books (I-45)
12. Fun Box- Art Game & Quarter Mile Math OR List (I-15/15)

Days 2 & 5
1. Curisve & Sci (Hist.D2) Reading (I-10)
2. Grammar & Dictation (Dict.D2 only) (S-20)
3. Exercise (I-15)
4. Math & Drill (online or windows or TT) (S-15/10)
5. Bible & Hymns (M-X)
6.Geography/Sci. Exp. (M-X)
7. Notebooking (+timeline D5) (S-15)
8. Poetry & Storytime (M-X)
9. LHFHG (K/K-30)
10. Spanish & EFRU (Combined Time) (M-X)
12. Fun Box- Computer Game & Music OR List (I-15/10)

Day 3
1. Curisve, History, & Science Reading (I-15)
2. Grammar & Dictation (S-20)
3. Exercise (I-15)
4. Math (S-15)
5. Bible & Hymns (M-X)
6. Sci. Exp. (M-X)
7. Vocab (I-20)
8. Poetry & Storytime (M-X)
9. LHFHG (K/K- 30)
10. Spanish & (Combined Time) (M-X)
12. Fun Box- Nature Walk & Nature Notebook OR List (I-15/15)

LIST for Fun Box & Anyday Optional Boxes 13-14:

Audio Book
How To Draw Book
Tangrams
Any of MFW Preschool Boxes (pegs, lacing, etc.)
MadLibs
Write Letter or Make Card for Relative
Playstation game
Wrap-Ups
Logic Books
Pattern Blocks
Special Book to Read
Legos
Coloring Book
Game from Cabinet
Activity Cards from Cabinet
Puzzle
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:44 pm

See...LONG! I didn't know any other way to share it with you all.
Your thoughts on my plans so far? What do you think about how I've grouped subjects? Time I've allowed?
I've put all of HOD before any extras for a reason...just in case we have an "off" day...I'll just leave those "extras" boxes for the next day and try again.

Any other ideas for the fun box for a bright 3rd grade girl?
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

kayben

Post by kayben » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 am

Tamara,

I ordered the record log from the workbox website too and she color coordinates them to the starter kits I ordered for the kids. i CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS RECORD LOG ENOUGH. IT HAS ALL THE PLANNING PAGES I HAVE SEEN INCLUDING ONE SIMILAR TO THE ONE LISTED ON THE POST A FEW UP. IT HAS A PAGE FOR THE DAYS OF THE WEEK WITH 12 LINES UNDER EACH. ETC. THE PAGES ARE LAMINATED AND SHE GIVES SAMPLES OF HOW TO USE THE GRIDS AND IT COMES IN A BINDER WITH A RECORD LOG LABEL AND COVER. GREAT DEAL! GREAT INFO! GREAT CHARTS! GREAT PRICE. TOTALLY WORTH THE PRICE TO KEEP IT ALL TOGETHER AND HAVE IT SIMPLY SET UP.

Could you please email me your files too? I just keep getting like a thousand pop ups from that site. my email is kayben@msn.com I have bought the stuff to start the boxes. Before I found HOD and so I wasn't sure how to put it together. But I really like the built in accountablilty and I believe it will get easier as time goes by. I think 4 sets of boxes is going to take up a lot of room though. But we shall see. The carts are smaller in person than they appear in the pics. Plus they roll which will work well on our floors. I guess I should get working on the planning end of it as the summer will fly by. I just need to declutter. Is there a workbox system for the truly unorganized moms out there, you know, declutter your chaos using our 12 step clear box plan... hmm. maybe I could work on that.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 am

I'll email that to you in a minute!

I have to say that it's going wonderfully! DD is doign LHFHG with ds right now and we are pretty well where I wanted to be at this time. :D She is doing great going from one thing to the next and I haven't skipped any fun HOD stuff! I'm also using my Motivated Moms chore organizer and between the WB and MM, this is a great day!
I've even gotten an activity out for ds2 and he's busy cutting away with his training scissors while dd and ds are doing school and while I vacuum (as soon as I logoff!).
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling