I have a few more questions....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dawn in Indiana

I have a few more questions....

Post by Dawn in Indiana » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi. Thanks so much for all the super helpful replies to my first post the other day. I think that I have decided to use bigger in the Fall with a 2nd and 3rd grader combined. I will probably order R&S3 english for the 3rd grader though. I will need to probably add the preparing guide for the dictation for the 3rd grader. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on the guide if it is just for dictation. If I do decide to do preparing the following year, is there 2 yrs. worth of dictation? Also, how is the teacher's guide binded? I've seen a few examples of the Cheerful cursive that have been linked but I couldn't tell much from them. What style is it most similar to? My son learned bju's cursive this year. I wonder if it would be best to use that for his younger sister so that are doing the same style. Or does it really even matter? I'm sure I will have more questions soon. Thanks so much.

Dawn

eazbnsmom

Re: I have a few more questions....

Post by eazbnsmom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Dawn,

There is actually 3 years of dictation in Preparing, so you should be all set! there ;) Sorry can't help with the cheeful cursive.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Dawn in Indiana

Post by Dawn in Indiana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:54 am

Hi Kay, Thanks for the reply. Well, that is great to know about dictation. I think I'll probably order that as well.

Dawn

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 am

I, too, couldn't tell much from the examples posted of Cheerful Cursive. So I have just stuck with BJU cursive since that is what we were already using.
Dixie
Mom to Five: 3 boys and 2 girls

Dawn in Indiana

Post by Dawn in Indiana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 am

Hi Dixie. I would like to get a better look at Cheerful cursive since it is already planned in bigger, but we did enjoy using bju cursive with my son this past year. The workbook was very nice and appealing. Did you use other bju subjects as well? I'm specifically wondering if going from bju english 1 to R&S2 and bju english2 to R&S3 would be a smooth transition? Thanks.

Dawn

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Dawn! I don't know if this will help, but here's a link to some pics of Cheerful Cursive:
(look at MamaMary's post)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=524&p=3450&hilit=Ch ... sive#p3450

Here's the photoboook link for Bigger Hearts:
http://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/28

We've liked that it has them read different types of cursive, and write from print to cursive, and from cursive to print. We've also been glad it is short and does not have them making endless rows of letters. Fewer letters/words done better is the idea.

Hope something here helps!
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Dawn in Indiana

Post by Dawn in Indiana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks Julie!!! I love the photobooks. Those look so nice. Now I want to make my own! Can you tell me about what type of binding is used for the guides? Thanks again.

Dawn

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks, Dawn! The HOD guides use a lay flat, perfect binding, so they can lay open easily. (Virtually every picture I've taken of our dc has an HOD guide open to the 2 page spread - it's my favorite look for them. :D ) The Cheerful Cursive has a comb binding.
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie