new to hs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
fancymud

new to hs

Post by fancymud » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to homeschooling and am trying to find a curriculum for my dd. She will be 5 this Spring. I'm having a hard time navigating the HOD boards to get information about what the program entails. Would LHFHG be a good fit? What comes with it? Math, LA, books? Does the curriculum usually run true to age, or is it more advanced? I guess I'm looking for any info about HOD that you could give me. Thanks

Heather :D

Mom2Monkeys

Re: new to hs

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Welcome! I think you'll get the hang of the site soon :o) then like many of us, you might find yourself addicted to it! :oops:

The best place to start is the placement chart which has a reputation for being very accurate. http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

After you check it out, pop back in when you get the chance and let us know your thoughts. That will help us all help you navigate your way through it.

LHFHG comes with everything you need...you just choose the right math level, which science book you want (K,1st,2nd), and if you're going to use the recommended phonics and handwriting, just choose one of each! I believe there is a link after you get to the LHFHG info page that says "help in ordering" or something to that effect. That should help you find your way a little better. Many people use it over 1.5-2 years...using the K options the first year and the 1st options the 2nd. It does run true to age but that also depends on your child! Mine will be right at the middle ages of each guide and we find that to be a perfect fit! Others are on the young end and others at the older end...it's very flexible! And also very easy to do! (not to mention the most fun I've ever had doing school and my kids think so too :) )

If you have ANY more questions, there are plenty of moms here ready to offer advice and answers! Carrie (the author) is also on the boards. So feel free to ask away!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 pm

It looks like Tamara did a good job answering your questions, so I'll just say hello and welcome to the boards! The ladies here are all so helpful and will be happy to help you find the right fit for your dd.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi

Tamara has done a great job of answering your question :D

I just thought I would "pop" in and say hi. I know it can be very confusing choosing what will work for your family in terms of curriculum (what a blessing that there is so many amazing choices out there!!) We have only just finished our first year of homeschooling, so I am far from an expert :? , but someone told me when I first started to sit down and have a good think about the reason I want to homeschool, and think of some goals for our family. My husband and I did that together, it was such a wonderful time of talking, praying and thinking about the goals for our family. I found this to be really great advise. I then started reading different homeschooling books, artcles etc. I began to get a bit more of an "idea" of what styles were out there (e.g Charlotte Mason etc) I think the great thing about thinking about our goals, was when it came to choosing curriculum, the choice was made a "little" bit easier because I knew what "fit" with my goals or not. When I found the HOD curriculum, so much of seemed to be a good fit for what we thought we would like our family/lifestyle to be like. We have been so happy with it, it is wonderful!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and welcome you to the board (Tamara's right, it can get a bit addictive!!) All the best as you start out homeschooling!!

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

fancymud

Post by fancymud » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome and info! I'm already seeing how addicting it can be, because I constantly find more information to read, plus I love to read about the experiences of other families. As soon as I narrow down my questions, I'll be back because it seems like I have many to ask :D
Heather

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the HOD boards! How exciting that you are beginning your home education journey. We are finishing up our 11th year and it's been the most amazing experience of my life. I pray you are able to relax and enjoy the journey as you build those forever memories with your little ones! (((Welcome)))
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Heather! :D

I wanted to pop in and welcome you, too. By the way, I love your user name "fancymud". :wink: :lol: I happen to have 3 kids who look quite "fancy" in the "mud" whenever they can find or create some. In fact, they've been asking when it's going to rain again...and when they can play in the mud again. It's been SOOO long! :roll: I told them it has to warm up to at least 60 before we play in mud again (as in cover their whole bodies with it... :roll: ) So, I'm picturing you as a grown-up version of my little Allison who is a lover of princess dress-up...and mud! :D

I agree with Deb that HOD is a great fit for my family because it is meeting the goals our family has for raising our children. If you are wanting to spend your time training your children spiritually and leading their little hearts to love the Lord, as well as have solid academic coverage, HOD will be a great fit for you! :D This is what HOD is doing for my family. One of it's strongest points is the balance in our days. Our focus is kept first and foremost on the Lord, and we're able to cover everything that we need to because of the way it's all laid out in the guides. (And it's so organized that I can just pick up the guide and go! I don't have to spend time preparing lessons to teach...I can just teach them.)

My sister started with LHFHG with her 5 yo, and they really enjoyed it. (I haven't hit that guide yet, but am eagerly looking forward to it this coming year! :D ) If you look at the placement chart that Tamara linked you to, it should give you a good idea if that's the right fit for your child. There are several moms using LHTH with 5 yos and that works well, too.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="Mom2Monkeys"]

Many people use it over 1.5-2 years...using the K options the first year and the 1st options the 2nd. "

Hi, this is interesting....When you say to do it over 1.5-2 years, how does that work? Do you do 1 unit over two weeks? I would love to hear more about this :D

Thanks in advance :!:

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:59 pm

A day's worth of plans consists of both left and right sides of a 2 page spread. You could do a whole day's plans (left and right sides) 3-4 days per week or you could do left side one day and right side (plus math/phonics) the next day. By doing math and phonics each day, you complete K math in K and 1st math in 1st and you will stay on top of phonics. The 1st grade year you could get the Beyond...guide if you wanted to have math activites for 1A/B and use it just for the math or do your own activities using the schedule in the appendix of LHFHG.

I plan to take about 1.5 years by doing it half pace at first and then bump it up to full pace once we get our groove and ds shows he's ready.

HTH!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks so much for this. I think these are really helpful ideas. I am finding it a bit hard to get through the whole week in a week (particulary when I have a day out for some reason) I like this slower pace idea. Thankyou!!!

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Fancymud! I just wanted to welcome you, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you check out the placement chart. We are like one big happy family here - and we'll all help you talk through options for your dd until you find the one you like best!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Heather,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the board. The ladies have done a wonderful job of talking through options with you. If you have other questions, ask away. The ladies are so gracious with their time and enjoy helping one another. :D

Blessings,
Carrie