OT:Educational Computer CD recommendations

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

OT:Educational Computer CD recommendations

Post by Rebecca » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Do you ladies have any suggestions for computer programs that are appropriate and educational?
I have a birthday coming up for one of my little guys- who loves computer time... and could use some good suggestions!
Thank you!
Rebecca

3ringcircus

Re: OT:Educational Computer CD recommendations

Post by 3ringcircus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 pm

How old is he? My 5 year old loves Jumpstart computer games. You can (I think) download a free trial from their website.
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I would love to have some recommendations too. I was thinking about asking Carrie what she allows for her boys. Both computer CD's and video's. I need some of both for my 9 year old and my 2 year old boys.

Sorry I couldn't recommend anything for you Rebecca.
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm

3ringcircus- the son that I was asking about will be six! Thanks!

Paige,
my two and four year old LOVE Boz the Green Bear dvd's. The content is great and spiritually nurturing. All my kids love the Christmas Boz movie, too. (I like it too! :wink: )
We also like Praise Baby for little ones and most of the Baby Einstein DvDs. Thomas the Tank Engine has been a hit with some of my boys, too. Some stories have a "ghost" theme and we fast forward those. But not all do.
My Preschoolers also have enjoyed some of the Little Einstein DvDs.
We have a set of old Winnie the Pooh vhs that have been enjoyed by all...

For computer:
My little ones have really enjoyed playing on Starfall.com.
We use the Reading Lesson CD-Rom, too. But that is about all I have for computer cd's. A long time ago, I bought Living Letters and Living Numbers from Timberdoodle- but I am not sure if they still sell those. We don't really use those anymore.

My older boys have enjoyed The Story Keepers series. However, I will say that these can get more "violent" and evil in some places than I like with Nero and soldiers, etc. It can give me a yucky feeling- but the Christian content is good. They also like Moody Science movies.

I hope this helps!
Rebecca

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm

The only thing my five and a half year old ds has done on the computer is the cd we just started with The Reading Lesson which I do like. As far as video's I highly recommend BOZ and Miss PattyCake. My two boys also have sweet dreams every night and day that they live on the Island of Sodor. They are devoted Thomas followers. Our lesson on idols today was a good one .... (Unit 7 Day 1 of LHFHG).

Oh, the DVD that came with the Stephen Elkins "Read 'N' See DVD Bible & Book" by Stephen Elkins is a five star for sure. I use it sometimes with the Picture Bible Stories in LHFHG. He also has "The Kids Hymnal Sing-along DVD" which I would like to "check out", but do not have it.

All the activities in the LHFHG guide have really given me ideas to springboard off of for my not-so-creative mind when we are at a loss for things to do besides screen time.

Be aware that just because a video or computer item is marketed to a five year old does not mean it was actually created with a five year old in mind, especially in terms of his emotional and mental development to truly comprehend... (also moral development as well). For example, many Disneys are marketed to three year olds via all the "junk" and toys you can buy with all the characters, but the movie is more in line for an eight year old ! I read about this and more in a secular book entitled "Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five" by Lisa Guernsey. Another good book is "Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business" by Neil Postman who also wrote "The Disappearance of Childhood". A nationally well-known homeschool speaker featured at a hs conference I just attended in August in the Woodlands, Texas, recommended "Endangered Minds: Why Children Do not Think- and What We Can Do About It" by Jane M. Healy who also wrote "Failure to Connect: How Computers Affect Our Children's Minds - For Better and Worse". I have not read these last two yet.

I just throw these titles out there in case anyone reading this is interested in learning more about the topic which can easily be controversial. My children watch their "fair share" of videos so please don't think I am against them, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these books and they have given me a lot to think about and consider when choosing videos and computer items for children. I just wanted to believe I was able to make an educated decision. I have a marketing background so I was interested in how the industry sort of "ticks".

Hope that helps someone out there.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR