Will you rejoice with me!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Will you rejoice with me!

Post by MamaMary » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 am

For the past three years I have written a letter to my oldest son on his birthday. Today is my Brandon's 17th birthday and I want to celebrate him with my HOD family. As I wrote about my memories with Brandon I realized that HOD is the vehicle I am using to make those same kind of memories with my younger boys. I will one day sit at my computer with tears streaming down my face as I pour out my memories with my other boys......, I will remember Colton needing to help me do the history/science activities supposedly because he felt they needed it, but how I knew he just wanted to participate too. We will talk about how we slathered crisco all over our hands and arms and dunked them in freezing cold water to experience the feel of blubber. We will share about how we crushed up cereal on one plate and pretended that our hands were bees and transferred pollen from one flower to another. We will share the memories of our read a loud's and will review our favorite bible verses. It gives me renewed vision and purpose for the time we invest into our school days. I so wish HOD had been around when my Brandon was little. The one thing he missed out on was having a curriculum that incorporated bible into every subject. Though I know the Lord plans all things in our lives for HIS good purpose.

Brandon at 6mos

Note: This year I made this my monthly article for my support group newsletter. Brandon (who is my Burt) will love that I am celebrating him with almost 300 of his closest friends and families :lol: :lol: :lol: I just copied and pasted it here :wink:

Mary's Musings

This month's Musing's is very bittersweet. You see, today is the eve of my oldest sons 17th birthday. As I begin to type the tears are flowing and my heart is aching. It's gone too fast. I want to do it again!

I can honestly tell you that my Brandon has far exceeded all of my husband's and I's best hopes and dreams. Brandon loves people, and more importantly he loves his Lord. God has given him an incredibly deep and abiding heart for those that are hurting or discouraged. He is my others centered child.

Part of me silently screams, Where did the time go? I close my eyes and the memories begin to flood back in...., I remember using a unit study curriculum several years ago where we learned about the world around us through the stories contained within award winning picture books. I specifically remember reading, "Follow The Drinking Gourd". This book was Brandon's first exposure to slavery. As I turned the last page and gently closed the book, he looked up at me with big blue eyes, full of innocence and confusion, in absolute shock that people could be treated so unfairly. The Lord was giving me my first glimpse of the where Brandon's spiritual gifting lay...., People!

A few years later I remember sitting on the couch with him during 911. We prayed together for our country. He was just 9 years old and his thoughts were of those families who would be getting news that their loved ones had died in that horrible tragedy.

Fast forward a couple of years and a good friend of his slipped into rebellion. I was so moved as I watched this son pray for his friend, but the memory tugging at my heart this morning was when he went to his friends mother and encouraged her. This is the core of who God made Brandon to be.

No, he is not perfect. There were seasons of training and correction. There were seasons we pulled in and focused on heart issue's. I know that his weaknesses are mine. He struggles with consistency when there is no passion, and I am thankful that homeschooling has afforded us the opportunity to grow together in this area. I now stare up into this very grown up masculine face and know that my season of training and raising this incredible young man is quickly fading. If I do my job well, then I strive to work myself out of one.

My heart is tender for the young mama's who might be reading this today. I pray that the Lord will help you to relax and enjoy your children for who they are. I certainly did not parent Brandon to become the people person he is. God just entrusted my husband and I to guard the gift He has given him. Snuggle, read together, laugh together, talk together. This season is short. Don't blink because it is over before you know it.

Happy Birthday my sweet Brandon! Your father and I love you so very much! It was an honor to walk away from a nursing career and to spend my life with you. You have grown up into such an outstanding young man and filled your mama's heart with memories that I will hold dear the rest of my life! I love you, I love you, I love you!

Brandon helping me up front at one of our monthly support group meetings. Where did the time go?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mamas4bugs

Re: Will you rejoice with me!

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 am

OK, now you've made ME cry! Such a precious post. My oldest turned 15 in August, and I have the same question you asked--where did the time go? Thank our wonderous Lord that I can spend these days with them. Thanks for sharing your family's special moments. :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 am

Oh, Mary! That was beautiful! :cry: :D :cry: You brought tears to my eyes...and I don't cry about just anything. What a wonderful perspective you have on keeping the eternal things important in our daily lives! You have encouraged me today!

I'm so glad that you are able to rejoice with your son in the godly man he is/has become. Have a Happy Birthday Brandon! :D

Now back to making my memories...
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:25 am

Mary,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart's thoughts with us again. What a beautiful story of your son from a Dear Mother's perspective. I have a hunch that someday Brandon will sit down and write a letter to you that is as equally as beautiful and loving as the one's you have given him.
The Lord must be beaming when He sees all that you have poured into Brandon's heart, and the eventual outcome is that he loves his Lord. Wow, what more could you hope for?

Last night I was laying in bed asking God to help me prepare my girls and to guide them in His love in ALL that I do. This was after my typical "run down" in my mind off all that needs to be done. What needs to be "checked-off", what might happen? And as always, wallowing in my many mistakes made that day, and on and on. After all of the unecessary commotion in my mind passed, I realized that I do not need to be the one in charge. He is in charge and I pray that I can get out of the way and let God do His work through my girls so that they may become the people He has destined them to become.
I can hardly wait to see what He has in store for them, as you have been so blessed to have a peek at what God has in store for your sweet Brandon. I agree, the time absolutely goes by so quickly, but I have to say that your message helped me to see the gifts that will eventually be realized.
Okay, Now I have to give my little girlies a big kiss!
Thank you Mary for sharing, you are such a blessing to all of us! :D

Candice

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:08 am

Oh Mary you are such a good mommy. I am rejoicing with you as you celebrate your last year officially as a child with your son. In one year the world will call him a man but we know that only God can give him the true heart of a man and that heart is built always with the help of a mama. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 am

As usual, Mary, your gift with words has me alternating between huge, cheesy grin and tears streaming down my face!! thank you for sharing that. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Mary,

I can hardly believe that your oldest son is 17. I look at my own oldest son, who will be 13 in December, and can hardly believe he will one day be as grown-up as your Brandon! We join you in rejoicing today over your son's 17th birthday and in remembering the things that helped shape him into the man he is becoming along the way. Thank goodness the Lord provides us extra time to enjoy these precious years by calling us to homeschool our children. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Ah Mary- You ought to write a coffee table book. I'd buy it and I don't even have a coffee table.

What a great young man you have raised there. I hope to one day be able to look back when my kids reach that milestone and be able to say the same things. You are an amazing mama and Brandon is going to great things for God...you mark my words!

Thanks for sharing.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 pm

Oh Mary, this is beautiful...I am sitting at my computer with tears flowing down my face as you share the journey with us...Thankyou so much, it has brought so much joy into my heart to have a glimpse of your beautiful mother's heart. You are such a blessing. I only have little ones, and right now I just want to go and hold them, to tell them how much I love them, to laugh with them, and cherish the moments!!!! Thankyou for encouraging me on my journey today. Thankyou for sharing with us :)

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Ohhh, I have never used this "quote feature before, hope it works!!
Candice wrote:Mary,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart's thoughts with us again. What a beautiful story of your son from a Dear Mother's perspective. I have a hunch that someday Brandon will sit down and write a letter to you that is as equally as beautiful and loving as the one's you have given him.
The Lord must be beaming when He sees all that you have poured into Brandon's heart, and the eventual outcome is that he loves his Lord. Wow, what more could you hope for?

Last night I was laying in bed asking God to help me prepare my girls and to guide them in His love in ALL that I do. This was after my typical "run down" in my mind off all that needs to be done. What needs to be "checked-off", what might happen? And as always, wallowing in my many mistakes made that day, and on and on. After all of the unecessary commotion in my mind passed, I realized that I do not need to be the one in charge. He is in charge and I pray that I can get out of the way and let God do His work through my girls so that they may become the people He has destined them to become.
I can hardly wait to see what He has in store for them, as you have been so blessed to have a peek at what God has in store for your sweet Brandon. I agree, the time absolutely goes by so quickly, but I have to say that your message helped me to see the gifts that will eventually be realized.
Okay, Now I have to give my little girlies a big kiss!
Thank you Mary for sharing, you are such a blessing to all of us! :D

Candice
I just wanted to say how much this comment encouraged me, especially the part about the mistakes, and how I do not need to be in charge, but to get out of the way, and let God do the work...Thankyou for your wise words :)

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh dear, just realised I "quoted" your whole post Canice :oops: , oh well, everything you said was great anyway!!
(must work on learning how to use the "quote" feature a bit better....) :?

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:44 pm

Girls,

You have brought new tears. I am so overwhelmed at your sweet words. We went to Busch Gardens today to celebrate his birthday and by the time we left the park I was very sick. (flu hit me hard in the middle of Jungala) I went to bed at 8:30 and now I'm up not feeling well again at 1am. Coming here and reading your sweet words has truly filled my cup! Thank you so much!

Good night sweet friends..., Mary, who covets your prayers because I am supposed to get up and teach 5 classes at co-op in a few hours..., blech!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:59 pm

Mary,

I am so sorry you are not feeling well :( . Everyone here is asleep and I have found some quiet time, I will send up a prayer that you are able to get some rest and that you begin to feel better very soon.

Goodnight,
Candice

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:50 am

Oh, so sorry to hear you are feeling unwell :( . As I am in Australia, it is not the middle of the night here. I am praying right now, that when you wake up, you will feel refreshed, and know that the Lord will be carrying you today, as you serve him, and the other women at your group today :) I also pray you will have a chance to rest over the weekend and that the flu will pass quickly.

Love and prayers
Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:43 am

Thank you so much for your prayers. I had a sub take my classes today and I'm laying low;-)