Visiting Barnes and Noble

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Callia

Visiting Barnes and Noble

Post by Callia » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:39 pm

For those who don't know, Barnes and Noble has an educators week this week. Through January 27, tomorrow, teachers receive a 25% discount on all books they purchase. (This includes homeschool teachers, of course!)

My 8yod received a book for Christmas from her cousins which, although a perfect choice for this little girl, we already owned. We decided to return the book yesterday. My daughter had approximately $20 to spend at B&N.

After spending some time in the "animal care" section of the bookstore, she decided to look in the children's section. She immediately went for a Henry and Mudge book. She opened it and began to read. She loved it. That book, which is a collection of five Henry and Mudge books, was her first pick. She had about $15 left to spend.

After many more happy minutes of searching the children's section, my daughter found a book called Days on the Farm by Kim Lewis. It includes the book Floss as well as other precious stories by the same author. She was sure that she also wanted to own that book. She still had about $7 left to spend.

Sweet, sweet choices, I thought. On top of that, she told her 11yo sister that she could use the rest of her money. There's a lot of sister-love there! :)

This experience opened my eyes to my 8yod's true independent reading level. She is still definitely at a 2nd grade reading level. I think we will go through the entire Emergent Reader year before moving on to the DITHOR level 2-3 books. We already own the Beginners Bible and either own or can get the other books from the library.

Have I mentioned how excited I am to begin Bigger with my daughter on Monday???? I cannot wait! :D

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:45 pm

I've always had trouble with barnes and noble-they tell me I have to bring in my "card" to prove I'm a homeschooler. Uh, what card? :lol: I took them the forms I have to turn in every year, and they said it wasn't good enough. They wanted me to go back and get a signed statement from the school district that says I'm a homeschooler! argh!! the discount wasn't worth that much trouble to me!

Kudos to your dd and her choices though! how awesome is that! I love it when you see your children make those good choices. :-) and letting her sis use the rest of her money? I'm melting at that one!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:57 pm

I had that same problem Darci.....I found out that the "card" that will do the trick is your HSLDA membership card. :roll:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:00 pm

My home schooler membership card is enough for us.
its just a business card with my name on it and the homeschooler group you belong to.

but i just read in a consumer reports advertisement... they spent 550$ at a brick and mortar book store... then bought the same books at amazon for 360$ :o
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

Callia

Post by Callia » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Our local Barnes and Noble must be very relaxed. I didn't need ANY card or anything to prove I was homeschooling. I just told them I was a homeschooler, and they had me fill out the form for a B&N Educators card. Very simple. Very easy.

It must vary from store to store or maybe from state to state. I am sorry it is more complicated for others! :(

I am sure that Amazon is less expensive many times. But I really don't want a world with no brick and mortar bookstores. Plus, there is something so fun about taking my children to the bookstore and watching their eyes get big as they realize that they may be able to OWN a book from the store! (We are big library-goers, so a bookstore visit is a real treat) :)

Callia

Post by Callia » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm

YIKES! I just want to Amazon to see how much "Days on the Farm" by Kim Lewis would cost. At B&N is was $9.95 (before our 25% discount).

Amazon doesn't offer the book new any more. Four used copies are available starting at $39.65.

Maybe we should go back to B&N and buy up the rest of those "Days on the Farm" books. We could resell them on Amazon and start our own little family business! :lol: (kidding)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Our B & N just asks to see our School exempt form. I wonder if you could just show that? What a pain! I had no idea it varied that much from store to store! Thanks for the info. on the sale - I'm making a beeline there!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:44 pm

around here they have these great book stores called half price books. They offer you a pittance for your used books but the books on their shelves are half the price they were sold for originally.

I always have my eye out for b4FIAR books that are out of print. and I do post them on Amazon at reasonable prices...
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:14 pm

I love half price books! We go there a lot. :-)
We actually made a commitment to buy nothing new this year, so that means I HAVE to go to the used places! :wink:
I did make the exception from the outset that it didn't apply to new hs'ing materials...:lol:

I also find lots of great books at goodwill.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:10 pm

I have a B&N membership card that gets me a 20% or 25% discount each time I make a purchase. (I can't remember which it is!) There is a yearly fee, but if you buy a lot of stuff from them it's worth it.

BTW, our B&N has a USED book section with great prices. If yours has one, it's worth the time to take a look. You can find some great stuff!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 pm

ok I went to B&N to get a book our library never has on the shelf and its got a huge waiting list. While there I decided to get an Aesops fables. $19.99!!!!!! and it only had a few fables. (great illustrations) But the price was way way outta my league.

It pays to ask questions. I asked if that was the only copy in the store.. nope... in the classics section (not kids) I found a great book with illustrations and 284 fables in it. and it was only $8.
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls