Anyone starting CtC this fall?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amcampbell4

Anyone starting CtC this fall?

Post by amcampbell4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Everyone! I've been using HOD for my youngest son since 1st grade (LHFHG) and we will be using CtC for 5th grade this fall. Anyone else using this level? How are you getting ready? Any special tips or advice from past users to make things go more smoothly? Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Anyone starting CtC this fall?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:05 pm

We started slowly in May, finishing Unit 2 yesterday. We will start full speed August 7.
This year we are using 3 binders, the composition books, and the materials for watercolor painting, plus math of course.

The binders are each 1/2 in. One is for history with the notebooking pages and a few page protectors in the back (for projects). The second binder is science, with plain paper hole pinched behind one divider for notebooking, filler/lined paper behind another divider for questions, and printed lab sheets behind the third divider for labs. The third binder is for geography and Bible. I printed the maps and travel logs from the CD for geography. In the Bible section, I have a print out of Genesis 1-11 and some plain paper.

The composition books are for grammar, dictation, and writing. We reuse those and the common place book each year.

So far it is working well!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

amcampbell4

Post by amcampbell4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks Stephanie! We are looking forward to it. I just need to get organized :D

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 pm

We will start on 8/16.

For us, each one of my kids have their own binders. I put their history notebooking pages in it, map work, any Bible activities (we are using Genesis Our Roots since I have an older addition), math tests, and then their science notebooking assignments. I also purchased all of my paint supplies according to the intro part of the guide. The one extra thing I bought, which was a portfolio to hold all of the art work. I am also doing the art projects with them so I have my own set of brushes I haven't decided if I am going to keep my copies though. I might. Since I teach two guides, any books that my kids each need to read alone I got them their own set of books. But we only use one guide for the two of them. I do let my kids take their guide around the house with them. They both really like focusing on the same subject at the same time. So many times they will go off and take the guide with them while they read the same book at the same time. Plus, they do most of their history projects and science projects at the same time as well.

We usually take two weeks to complete unit 1. We do have of the guide on day one and half on day two. This way they can become very familiar with what is expected. Plus, if there is something that I need, I can always get it later in the day and we can finish that item the next day. But it usually goes very smoothly.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

amcampbell4

Post by amcampbell4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Daneale, thanks for your input! I like your idea of starting the first week at half pace.

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 am

I will be starting CTC on 8/14 full speed with my 11 y/o and LHTH with my 3 y/o. My daughter is very excited for the poetry through art.
Christina
LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG,PHFHG, now CTC- daughter age 11
LHTH-son age 3

faroutback

Post by faroutback » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 am

Did you all also check the CTC board? There are tutorials for the watercolor painting. These were a great help when we went through it with our older son and expect they will be a great help as we go through again with our younger son.