Placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tlhobg

Placement

Post by Tlhobg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:16 pm

I could use some help! We are entering our first homeschool year, and I am sold on HOD, but am having a hard time choosing the best level. My son just turned 10. He completed k and 1 at a public school in Illinois with good grades, and then completed 1, 2, and 3 in a German Grundeschule. He is completely fluent in German. He reads a ton in english, right around the 4/5 grade level. He has had grammar and literature, but all of it was in German so I am not sure how it will translate. Please, HELP this newbie! Which level would you begin with? Preparing or C to C? How would you go about placing him when it comes to the read alouds and self-directed reading, English program, and reading program? I have read through all the helps on the website, but still need some more insight.

StephanieU

Re: Placement

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Can you look for samples of the science books for both guides and then history for CtC and independent history for Preparing? Have him read the samples of two or three books from each guide and see where he is with reading content in English.
For Rod and Staff, I would consider Level 3 or 4. If he has had some basic grammar in German about parts of speech, etc, he should be fine with Level 4. If he hasn't had that, do Level 3. And as for DITHOR, what books does he read in English? That would help cement the guide placement as well as DITHOR placement.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Tlhobg

Post by Tlhobg » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks StephanieU! I will take that into consideration!
We are still living in Germany, so I don't have easy access to any of the materials. There is a small group of American homeschoolers that I will ask, but I might just have to take a stab in the dark! Eeek!

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:48 am

Did you download the sample week of both of the guides? That might help. My son is reading at a 3/4th grade reading level and he is going into Preparing this year. He is 10.5 years old.

Your son might do fine with either guide. Since he spent the last 3 years in a school in German, it might be better to start him in Preparing? This will be SO different from regular school (even here in the US). Both Preparing and CTC have independent boxes (CTC has more and lots more reading). You might be able to preview some of the books online (in Amazon.com or other places) to see how hard the books are.

The level 3 R&S is a very basic grammar text and it would not hurt him to repeat items in that book. My daughter used it when she was in 4th/5th grade to solidify her grammar.

Since your son has never done DITHOR, you might want to start with level 2/3 workbook and use level 3/4 books (you want them to be easier as this is for analysis).
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 am

You can normally find samples online at sites like Amazon, Goggle Books, CBD, etc.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Tlhobg

Post by Tlhobg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks, ladies!
I think we have settled on Preparing, as well as R&S 3 (repetition won't hurt right?)
A question about DITHOR... Do the genres go in a specific order, or can I switch them up a little bit? We own a few of the books off the 4/5 list, and I would like to try them out first, allowing me time to order used books from the other genres once I have a better idea of his reading level. Does that make sense?
Just to make sure I am understanding, the read-alouds should be at or above grade-level, but the independent reads and the DITHOR should be at grade-level or below. Is that correct? Are the science books typically read-alouds or independent reading? (sorry if I am asking questions that are answered elsewhere! I have looked at WAY too many curriculums!)

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:21 am

The science books in preparing are independent reading.

....and yes to both other the other 2 questions. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Sounds like a great decision! Welcome to HOD, and I hope you and your son have a terrific year with PHFHG! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie