Poll: Do you prefer to see your plans one day at a time or

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

I'd pay for the extra scheduling option to have it both ways! That would be no big deal and completely worth it to me! That would keep it from feeling like to others they maybe were flipping through it extra pages. Another option is to separate it and have the weekly plan at the end in the appendix.

The one thing I could see with having it extra is that people may get into the big debate of do I need it and if I need it why is it not in the guide. But for me I would be happy to pay extra!

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm

I agree with the previous poster, that I think it would be nice to have both available.

If I had to pick only one, I would go for the daily 2-page spread. It's just too hard to follow a weekly layout on those off weeks when you have holidays, vacations, sick days, field trips, etc. There is much more flexibility with a day-at-a-time layout.

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi Carrie ~
I would have to agree with those who said,"week at a glance" at the begining, then Daily. It just makes it easier to plan. :wink:
Mindi ~ Growing Love, Children, and Gardens in WI.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm

Alright girls ....

I've been watching this thread with interest as we continue to wrestle with the format of "Preparing Hearts....". You are correct that having a week at a glance would mean there would be about 7 pages of additional instructions that would follow each week's plan, requiring more flipping through the guide (which I also dislike and have disliked in other curriculums we've used). There also would not be room for the key ideas in the week at a glance format.

The benefit of the week-at-a-glance format is that the additional pages of directions for the students would have a larger font size and cleaner layout which would be easier for them to follow independently.

On the other hand, if we continue with the daily format, the plans would be somewhat similar to those in "Bigger Hearts...". You would still have the key ideas and the day at a glance, but the student would have to read the directions for their independent assignments right out of the Teacher's Guide, rather than having their own Student Pages.

One possible problem with the daily plan is that the font in the boxes of the Teacher's Guide is somewhat small for the students to read and follow directions on their own. This may not actually be as much of a problem as I anticipated, as I realized my own son does read the directions now from the "Bigger..." Teacher's Guide for science and for the grammar and math boxes without problem. However, it could be a problem for some students. I also do realize I would need to write the directions for the independent boxes in a more student-friendly way.

It's not possible to do both the week-at-a-glance and the day at a glance pages, due to the large amount of information in our plans, but you ladies are so funny in wanting it all. :lol:

So, what do you think?

Blessings,
Carrie (who's still messing around with many different formats and needs to get on with it) :?
Last edited by Carrie on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Thank YOU for your explanation that makes total sense. If we can't have both I would rather keep it the way it is. I love the day at a glance. Lots of other curriculum do a week at a glance view, but I think it helps "me" personally to feel less stress, seeing one day at a time. Especially when I am using more than one program. :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:18 pm

That sounds great Carrie, and makes sense the way you explained it. I am really looking forward to the day my kids can read what they are supposed to do, and then do it! :D (It won't be as big as having all 3 potty-trained, but close! :wink: )
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Callia

Post by Callia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:20 pm

I know I haven't even gotten any of the curriculum yet, so my thoughts need to be taken with several grains of salt!! :)

But one of the positive things about this curriculum for me is the day-to-day schedule rather than the week at a glance.

One reason it works well for our family is that we don't always get done in a week what is "supposed" to get done in a week. Then I have to flip between two weekly plans and really feel behind! The day-to-day planner allows for more flexibility in that way.

I also like everything in one 2-page spread and the larger font size where possible.

Just my thoughts...
Callia

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:49 pm

I answered once but thought about it again. From what you describe the one that seems to be the easiest to teach from would be the day on two pages like Bigger which is extremely easy to use. I think I could pick just one it would be the one I know is so easy to use already and that would be the day at a time.

I am having a hard time picturing that I could be teaching to some of my kids while others are being independent and in my head I am thinking we maybe will need two guides? I am just not picturing how that works. But I am sure whatever you decide will be great and easy to use. And I know whatever that is we will be using it. 8)

No chance for a Student book with stuff directed to them for the independent stuff...right? :lol: But just a thought it could be a Student book on CD for multiple students. Ok don't kick me off the boards. I can't help myself. I have HOD addiction! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:29 pm

i think i'm glad that i'm not writing curriculum :lol:

now that i have the guide in my hands, i REALLY love the format

a "week at a glance" option would be nice...but i don't think it's really needed (i never actually use that in the daytimers anyhow)

anyhow, Carrie, thank you for considering what your users may want!
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Carrie wrote: The benefit of the week-at-a-glance format is that the additional pages of directions for the students would have a larger font size and cleaner layout which would be easier for them to follow independently.
Okay, I'm going to be different, and say I prefer the weekly format, now that you explain it this way. One of my goals as a homeschooler is to get my kids to the point where they can work independently, and having student pages for that purpose appeals to me.

In fact, that is how I teach my 8th grader, I write her assignments on a piece of paper and expect her to complete them independently, and while I am available to assist her if necessary, she is able to read and follow directions on her own. Having that done already for me for the younger girls would be a great help! The weekly layout would also help me get prepared ahead of time for the week's work without flipping through all the pages.

I like the daily format for Bigger, but with the larger workload in Preparing and the move toward greater independence for the student, I vote for weekly.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12