What's after phonics?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gyminey

What's after phonics?

Post by Gyminey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 pm

My son turned 5 in October, but we started LHFHG in September. He is doing awesome with it and loves it. He is a very strong reader and is on lesson 15 in TRL. We will finish it up well before we finish LHFHG. So what do I do after that?

As a totally random side-story...I took my son to the doctor for a yearly check-up and the doc asked him about school. When my son told him that he did school at home, the doc looked at me and told me that by 5 years old, children have learned everything they can at home and it is time for them to move on!!! I almost laughed in his face :) Do you ladies run up against much opposition to homeschooling?

But that is a tangent...I really just want to know about phonics :)
Amanda
"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."
Have used LHTH - Rev to Rev

psreit

Re: What's after phonics?

Post by psreit » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:57 am

If your son is finishing TRL, then he would start the ER books. If he would have trouble with them, then you could get some easier books for practice first.

It sounds like your doctor knows nothing about homeschooling. :wink:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:39 am

Our doctor always praises us for homeschooling. She says it keeps them healthier, generally stronger (they tend to get more exercise), and .... wait for it... their social skills are better!

As for the reading, after phonics comes the Emerging Readers, but if you aren't ready to order the Beyond guide you could always get easy readers from the library to fill the time.

Gyminey

Post by Gyminey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 am

So when I get the ER, do I need to buy the Beyond guide at the same time? And then what will I do when we actually get to Beyond if we are done with some of the ER?
Amanda

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 am

The ERs have their own schedule in the back of the Beyond and Bigger guide (same schedule in both guides). You don't necessarily have to be lined up unit and day with the rest of the guide. After you finish the ERs you would start DITHOR. The ERs also have alternate books you can read for each book so you can make it take longer if you need to.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 am

My daughter started the ER books last January and has two left to go Animal Adventures and Sarah Noble). Once we are done with them, we are going to read the books Carrie has listed in the guide after the ER books (there are a few common chapter books listed as "fill in" books) and then start reading the Level 2 DITHOR books. I don't think we will start full blown DITHOR though until later. Instead, we will probably follow the storytime box for what to do with DITHOR (doing the activities for both the storytime book and for her reading book).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Gyminey

Post by Gyminey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:20 pm

OK, I'm sorry for sounding dumb here, but what exactly do you DO with the emerging readers? Is it just a book for my son to read out loud to me? And if it doesn't correspond with the units, then what does the schedule in the back of the guide tell you?

If I am understanding this correctly, the phonics "box" will turn into the ER "box" and then into the DITHOR "box." Is that right? But none of those things are dependent upon any other part of the day's lesson plan?
Amanda

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 pm

There is a daily schedule for the ER books in the back of the guide. They do not correspond with the rest of the guide, because those books can be started any time. The schedule is there because Carrie has questions to go with the daily reading. The ER books are meant to be read in the order you see them in the guide. Start them whenever you wish. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Get a doc who is supportive of homeschooling. Seriously. Our ped doesn't question us, respects us immensely. Its not worth it to deal with that garbage, especially as they get older.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:55 am

The schedule in the back of the guides for the ERs tells you what pages of which book to read in what order along with questions for each reading. It has unit/day, but because you don't have to start it when you start everything else, you don't have to have it lined up.