Singapore Math....playing catch-up!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

Singapore Math....playing catch-up!

Post by momtofive » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 am

I have a question in regard to my 7th grader. We've had quite the math path with this guy over the years. He's somewhat of a late bloomer with mathematical understanding. In his early elementary years we were using a very spiral math program which was only causing frustration for him. We realized he does SO much better with a mastery approach to math, and began using Singapore. He loves it and math has become much better for both of us. :wink:

Since he's in 7th grade now, and our goal is to start Algebra 1 in 9th grade, I've been concerned about making sure he completes everything he needs to (skillwise) before Algebra 1. We are playing catch-up with him working through the levels of Singapore at an accelerated pace. Can a student really go from 6B to Foerster's Algebra 1? Does he need to do some kind of Pre-Algebra in between the two? If so, what program would be best?

With my oldest (who is very mathy), we did a completely different plan. He's doing great with Foerster's this year. We never used Singapore with him though, so I don't really have experience going from it to Algebra.

If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks so much! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Tooactiveboys

Re: Singapore Math....playing catch-up!

Post by Tooactiveboys » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Sorry, we are way behind you in age so I don't have personal experience. I have done extensive reading on SM and have read in a few places that after completing 6b kids are well prepared for algebra.
Hopefully someone will let you know based on their experience.
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond