Do you wonder if covering Shakespeare is important?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lmercon

Do you wonder if covering Shakespeare is important?

Post by lmercon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:48 pm

This year, my ds (12) is doing Res. to Rev. When I was ordering the program last summer, I debated whether to include the optional Shakespeare study. You see, my ds is severely dyslexic and years behind in his reading. I believe that exposure to Shakespeare is important, but I questioned whether that was the best use of time FOR HIM. I found that Libervox provides free online readings of Lamb's Book of Shakespeare, so I decided to go for it. If Charlotte Mason and Carrie Austin think it's important, then I do too!

Well......here's my post that I shared on fb today.

Pardon me as I boast, but when you're educating a kid with a severe learning issue, it can't be helped!
Chase is working on writing an original short narrative. As a stepping stone, I've taught him to "borrow" a conflict from a familiar story and adapt it to his setting and characters. I suggested simple stories such as, "Three Little Pigs," "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," or, "The Tortoise and the Hare." Later, after outlining his story and writing the first portion, he came to me to share. It was fabulous! Great use of vocab. and stylistic techniques. Then I asked him from what story did he borrow the conflict. He said, "Well, since I love Shakespeare, I chose my favorite - A Comedy of Errors."
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Can you hear the homeschool angels singing in falsetto?)
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

crlacey

Re: Do you wonder if covering Shakespeare is important?

Post by crlacey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 pm

That's wonderful! I bet you were doing a happy dance!
I was debating about ordering the Shakespeare items, but now I think I will. My DD is also dyslexic, so we will read them together.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:12 pm

I hear the angels singing!! :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 am

This is just beautiful.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH