LHTH to LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ambjeff07

LHTH to LHFHG

Post by Ambjeff07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:34 pm

I started my daughter with LHTH a few weeks ago. She just turned 4. I know there are 30 weeks of lessons. We are planning on doing 36 weeks of school a year. So we are short 6 weeks. Would you go straight into LHFHG? or would you do a project or unit study for the 6 week period?

As it stands we will finish LHTH with 6 weeks before Thanksgiving and then we will take 6 weeks off for the holidays. so that's another reason why I'm not sure what to do. If we started LHFHG then we would do 6 weeks and take 6 weeks off.

thanks in advance

MelInKansas

Re: LHTH to LHFHG

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, there are always sick days, unexpected visits, and so I imagine between now and then unless you have some flex days built into your schedule already you will end up a little later than that. I guess it depends on where she is and whether you are just ready to keep going, it would really be up to you. You could go straight into LHFHG and then take a break and come back to it. It takes 3 weeks or so to really get used to a guide, especially when you and the child both are doing it for the first time. And taking a several week break is no problem, you should probably finish a unit before the break, but otherwise you can easily do that. So I say, it is up to you! I think when you get there you will know what is right. For my DD who had about a year between finishing LHTH and being ready for LHFHG (she did it first with older sister), we did other workbooks, read books, handwriting towards the end of that time when she turned 5, and just prepared for LHFHG.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

I agree with MelInKansas. Many unexpected things have come up in our year. LHTH is taking about 6 weeks longer than expected.
With my youngest I plan to go ahead & start LHFHG part time.
With my middle child, for various reasons, he had a 6 month break between. We did phonics & fine motor skills during that time. He was more than ready for it by the time we got to start LGFHG. Personally I believe he should have started about 3 months earlier.

So, I would wait and see closer to time what needs to be done with your daughter.
These things have a way of working themselves out!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 pm

LHTH actually has 33 Units, so you'll only be short 3 weeks.

And I'll echo what the others said: life happens and our perfect plans never work out exactly how we think they will. Just keep plugging along and as you get closer to the end of LHTH you'll know what to do. I speak from experience: don't think so hard about it! :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 17 - US2
HODers from the beginning