Little Review on how CTC is going for us...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Little Review on how CTC is going for us...

Post by John'smom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:25 pm

So we just started CTC last week and just wanted to give a review of it. I know we haven't been doing it long, but we've had some pleasant surprises and I wanted to share.

First is my dd is just 9 (turned 9 at the beginning of July, so a young 9) and has used HOD from Beyond on. I have heard repeatedly in different places that CTC is too much for a 9 year old and that the history book, The Story of the Ancient World, was too hard for child that young. I've also read here by Carrie and Julie that if one guide done fully, prepares the child for the next guide. When I began to worry, I'd just tell myself that I had to accept what the author said by faith. Well, my dd has not once complained. I asked her if the book is too hard to understand and she says no. None of the work has been too much for her so far. She actually says it's been the easiest start of a school year so far.

Now for me, I honestly have dreaded the watercolor paintings all summer. I've never done watercolor painting and you know, it's art, not something black and white. I am very black and white. So far we have had wonderful success and they are much easier than I thought it was going to be and I so appreciate Sara's tutorials that she's done for them.

Another thing I dreaded was Write With the Best. Again something that is not black and white. So far we've all loved it. Today was lesson three where I've heard there can be tears or pulling out of hair (lol) but both my dc loved it. My dd even said, "This is fun!!!" This is from a girl who isn't the best at answering the oral review questions all the time in Rod and Staff but she was identifying all these words as adjectives, adverbs, verbs, and specific nouns with no problems. Maybe it had something to do with using colored pencils. :lol:

Anyway, I just wanted to share how great our start has been with our new guide, CTC.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

farmfamily

Re: Little Review on how CTC is going for us...

Post by farmfamily » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 pm

This is encouraging to read! I too have a pair of kids doing the guides together with the younger one on the youngest end of the age range. It's great to hear that it is continuing to work so well for you.

I was a little worried about starting Bigger for my younger one too - we're now on Unit 3 and she's doing fine - she likes the Eggleston book! Thanks for this review.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 am

John'smom wrote:So we just started CTC last week and just wanted to give a review of it. I know we haven't been doing it long, but we've had some pleasant surprises and I wanted to share.
Thanks for sharing! I'll be starting HOD with CTC next year (2014) with my then 12yo, with extensions. I've decided not to start my 9 and 10 yo's with him, but it's good to know that if I change my mind in the next year it could work out fine that way, too.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

4arrows

Post by 4arrows » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Edwena,

Just getting ready to start CTC too and wondered what you meant by "Sarah's art tutorials" ? Is there a link somewhere for this? My dd not so artsy like my oldest who did CTC a couple years ago. She did great but my next DD may need a little assistance to develop some of those skills.
thanks! Best wishes with HOD this year!
Elizabeth

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:13 pm

4arrows wrote:Edwena,

Just getting ready to start CTC too and wondered what you meant by "Sarah's art tutorials" ? Is there a link somewhere for this? My dd not so artsy like my oldest who did CTC a couple years ago. She did great but my next DD may need a little assistance to develop some of those skills.
thanks! Best wishes with HOD this year!
Elizabeth
You can find them HERE.
Edwena

4arrows

Post by 4arrows » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks so much! These are wonderful!!! They will be so helpful to us...Thanks for sharing!
Elizabeth

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 am

This is wonderful to hear. I'm glad it is working out well for her.
Currenly, my 11 year old 6th grade son is taking a "break" from Unit 1 Day 1 of CTC. He is bright and a joyful person, to boot; but he was in tears over the work. It is a big step for him to be so independent and to step away from American history.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

momof2n2 wrote:This is wonderful to hear. I'm glad it is working out well for her.
Currenly, my 11 year old 6th grade son is taking a "break" from Unit 1 Day 1 of CTC. He is bright and a joyful person, to boot; but he was in tears over the work. It is a big step for him to be so independent and to step away from American history.
Sorry to hear this. :( Has he previously done HOD? This is my dd's fourth year with HOD. Also it is your first day back, so maybe it is just getting back into the swing of things. KWIM? I am praying for you and your ds.
Edwena

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

HOD is not new to us. :) This is his sixth year. But he's one of six with two of them being little (3 years old and 6 months old). I'm not able to help him much at all and he is frustrated, in general, by large amounts of reading. He's grateful much of it is the Bible - he's comfortable with that piece. It is, you know, everything else. ;)

Oh - and we don't do paint for poetry. :) With so many younger sisters and seriously limited space my oldest did his with colored pencils or chalk in a sketch book and Nigel has started that for CTC, too. :)

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I just want to encourage Nigel to hang in there! The workload at the beginning of CTC was somewhat overwhelming to my dc as well even after having done HOD from LHFHG on up. For them it was more the writing on the notebook pages that was challenging them, but also the longer day with the longer reading was challenging as well. It took 7 or 8 weeks before they were finally in the swing of things with CTC. That's the longest it's taken them to settle into a guide. :? So tell Nigel, he's not alone. My dc struggled at the beginning too, and they eventually settled into the guide and did fine. After they got settled, it didn't take them that much longer than it did in Preparing to complete a day. It's a big year of growth, and he can do it! :D If it is really too much, you could consider half pace for a while until he feels ready for full speed. We considered that but they kept trying and each week, it got a bit easier until they were in their groove. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Thank you, Patty. ♥
Thankfully, his attitude is good. But the reality of making school happen with our current ages/real life issues, etc., is hard. For example - he can't do the skittle/colored paper experiment today because I couldn't get to the store this week to get candy. :*( We'll talk it through, though. Ya' know, as I'm changing a diaper or something. ;)
I just keep reminding myself God has this all in His sight.
THANK YOU for the encouragement!

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond